NHTSA approves hybrid rearview mirror display in Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallon

Article: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/23/nhtsa-video-rearview-mirror-camera-cadillac-ct6-chevy-bolt/

Great article. For some reason today I'm Blown Away by all the technology that is put into electric vehicles

Rivu said:
What is a hybrid rearview mirror?
I assume that refers to the optional rearview mirror in the Bolt. It's actually a small LCD display that shows a continuous image through the rear camera, so you have an unobstructed view of much wider angle than you would if you looked at a real mirror past rear seat headrests and/or passengers. It goes a long way towards eliminating blind spots at the left and right rear of the vehicle.

It's a "hybrid" because you can flip a lever on the bottom to turn off the display and see a real mirror - so if the camera is obstructed or the electronics fail for some reason you're not "blind" to the rear.

SeanNelson said:
Rivu said:
I assume that refers to the optional rearview mirror in the Bolt. It's actually a small LCD display that shows a continuous image through the rear camera, so you have an unobstructed view of much wider angle than you would if you looked at a real mirror past rear seat headrests and/or passengers. It goes a long way towards eliminating blind spots at the left and right rear of the vehicle.

It's a "hybrid" because you can flip a lever on the bottom to turn off the display and see a real mirror - so if the camera is obstructed or the electronics fail for some reason you're not "blind" to the rear.

I thought this would be standard in the Bolt. No?

roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:
Rivu said:
I assume that refers to the optional rearview mirror in the Bolt.
The mirror is of course standard but the one with the LCD display showing the image taken by the rear view camera is described as "available", which is sales brochure talk for "extra cost".

SeanNelson said:
The mirror is of course standard but the one with the LCD display showing the image taken by the rear view camera is described as "available", which is sales brochure talk for "extra cost".

Ah, makes sense. We should know pretty soon how much extra.

SeanNelson said:
roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:

Any idea how much the extra cost is?

Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:
It's going to be $499.95.

...which of course is going to spawn a whole bunch of posts asking how the heck I know what the pricing is and what other things do I know about the Bolt that nobody else does... ...and then I'll be forced to admit that in actual fact I have no idea, no idea whatsoever... ;)

SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:

...which of course is going to spawn a whole bunch of posts asking how the heck I know what the pricing is and what other things do I know about the Bolt that nobody else does... ...and then I'll be forced to admit that in actual fact I have no idea, no idea whatsoever... ;)

:lol: Okay, I'm not gonna ask how do you know. But the price is correct, right? You weren't kidding in that part?

Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:

:lol: Okay, I'm not gonna ask how do you know. But the price is correct, right? You weren't kidding in that part?

Sh-u-u-u-r-e. This retired fellow living up in Vancouver is privy to ALL the secrets!

SeanNelson said:
roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:

Why are they calling it a hybrid mirror then?

Rivu said:
SeanNelson said:
roundpeg said:
"Hybrid" is used to refer to two different things that have been combined together. Prius cars are hybrids because they combine an electric engine and a gas engine. The Bolt's electronic mirror could be called a hybrid because it combines an electronic digital display with the conventional reflective mirror you get when you flip its lever down.

I do enjoy knowing that this type of technology is out there the only issue with the up-and-coming technology or brand new technology is there isn't any aftermarket pricing so if something does go wrong it is a hefty bill in saying that I do love the technology

If anything does go wrong within the first few years, it should be covered under warranty. And failing that, you always have a reflective mirror to fall back on - just like any other car.

The greater concern for failure would be if the side mirrors were replaced completely with cameras. Japan has approved this, and the US will probably follow eventually. Although the US is far more sue-happy than anywhere else on earth. So we may be the last developed country to allow it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/06/japan-approves-mirrorless-cars/

SeanNelson said:
Diggle said:
SeanNelson said:

Sh-u-u-u-r-e. This retired fellow living up in Vancouver is privy to ALL the secrets!

:lol: Good joke!

SeanNelson said:
Rivu said:
SeanNelson said:
"Hybrid" is used to refer to two different things that have been combined together. Prius cars are hybrids because they combine an electric engine and a gas engine. The Bolt's electronic mirror could be called a hybrid because it combines an electronic digital display with the conventional reflective mirror you get when you flip its lever down.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I don't use the rearview mirror anymore for backing up and parking as the rear camera does a better job of this but I do use the rear view mirror all the time in general driving to see what's going on behind me so I would like to have one

Back