Not ready for prime time!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it's amusing that you just heard about Ad hominem and now use the phrase in pretty much every post, you need to stop accusing others of doing it until you really understand what it means. Another member accused you of it. You just don't realize you're doing it.

Generally, an Ad hominem is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

Rather than staying on topic, you use Ad hominem. You further question my motives accusing me of being on some sort of an "agenda". That accusation in itself - is an Ad hominem.

- You attack my EV repeatedly calling it "compliance" (as if that's a bad thing) and outdated the day it was built, apparently in the attempt to make me feel bad about the decision I made to buy it.
- I list the cars I own in my signature, but you then throw it back at me as an attack on my character:

"*Oilerlord's FLEET:
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive (compliance car)
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
"

- You allude to, and have a misconception that I'm against EVs, and don't want people to have a great experience with them (that one actually does hurt a bit). You make me out to be some kind of monster, that I'd actually wish bad things to happen to others. I make a genuine effort to welcome others to the forum, and really do hope they have a great experience with their EV - regardless of the one they choose to drive.

"You DO NOT want people to have a great experience with EVs. All of your arguments are anti-EV compared to a gas/diesel vehicle, for which you have a fleet! Your only EV is an 2014 compliance model that was outdated the day it was released. You do not drive a long range EV and you certainly never intend to!"

- You make a strawman about the environment, and where I live (Alberta, Canada) that was directed as a further attack on my character.

"What does that tell you about the importance of people's personal statements about zero emissions and not putting more carbon into the atmosphere?"

"it is obvious you are not going to disclose who/what/why you sit in Alberta Canada"

"Here in Los Angeles, there is NO such option that I have ever found! You are very lucky. Perhaps that is because you live in a Province of Canada that is oil rich!"

I do live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. Our province is oil rich. I don't think you meant either as a complement, but rather, something I should be ashamed of. I'm not.

If you believe I was making a personal attack by quoting you on the wife beating descriptor you originally posted, then I apologize. I wasn't. It's just that personally, it's a very serious topic, and the last thing I'd ever think about, or discuss in casual conversations like this one. This was not to suggest that you were creepy, only that your choice of words - was creepy.

Hopefully, you now understand what an Ad hominem is. You lose credibility accusing others of doing it, while it's a practice you're quite comfortable with, and often do yourself.

None of which discloses your "agenda" here and whether or not you are being compensated for your time on this forum!

MichaelLAX said:
None of which discloses your "agenda" here and whether or not you are being compensated for your time on this forum!

See, you just did it again (and again). You don't even realize you're doing it.

I suspect I understood the concept of ad hominem long before I started law school but did not want to "show off" on this forum with latin phraseology that is not necessarily understood by the general public!

And I suspect that I understand its use and misuse far better than you and redpoint5, neither of whom I would bet dollars to donuts have ever had to pass a state bar exam nor is an active member of a state bar!

Here is my registered service mark for the state of California!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 2.37.55 PM.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 6,277
MichaelLAX said:
I suspect I understood the concept of ad hominem long before I started law school but did not want to "show off" on this forum with latin phraseology that is not necessarily understood by the general public!

And I suspect that I understand its use and misuse far better than you and redpoint5, neither of whom I would bet dollars to donuts have ever had to pass a state bar exam nor is an active member of a state bar!

Right.

Here's another one: Non Sequitur

As a lawyer, please let me know if you can defend or debate a position without the use of Ad hominem, and/or using an illogical turn in the dialog that was neither associated, or appropriate to what's being discussed.

When I encounter someone pumping their own tires in a forum, it usually signals a weak attempt at regaining respect or credibility after losing it. This is one of those times.

Michael, nobody cares what you do for a living, or the exams you've passed. Be humble. I fully expect there are members on this board that are more educated, passed more exams, and hold more degrees than both of us combined. If you would like to discuss or debate the OP's topic - fine...otherwise, I'm not interested.

YOU CARE: You gave a whole speech about my failure to use the term ad homenum until it was presented by another and then you preceded to rail into me about my use of it wholesale thereafter!

If you don't like my defense of how I know its definition: TOO BAD! You opened the barn door; now live with its consequences! Remember the age old adage on TV trial shows: NEVER ask a question of a person that you don't already know its answer! :D

Meanwhile, we still don't know your agenda, or who compensates you for your time here! Your continued failure to respond to those questions speaks volumes!

Typically such compensation contracts require the person to not provide knowingly false information on forum posts. So you are precluded from denying you are being compensated if indeed you are being compensated!

So your only option is to admit you are being compensated or keep ignoring the question and attempt to deflect it with other issues!

Let's move on here... Nothing more of interest to discuss! Case closed!

MichaelLAX said:
So your only option is to admit you are being compensated or keep ignoring the question and attempt to deflect it with other issues!

No, there is another option. Welcome to my ignore list.

Another way to "keep ignoring the question and attempt to deflect it!"

I answered the question pages ago...

You asked me my agenda, I answered the question immediately.

All he had to do was answer the question about his "agenda" that I made time and time again; but no, he sidesteped it!

When it became clear to me he was a paid shill and I confronted him with this assertion, all he had to do was deny it, which he failed to do!

He instead hides behind his "ignore list."

No logical fallacy at all!

I am not sure why you are so quick to defend his continuing attack on the Bolt EV as a long distance EV vehicle when he does not even own one!

Where is the logic in that?

Back