Not ready for prime time!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
I also do not own a Bolt. The seats are not ready for prime time, or at least not ready for me.
I am a "BIG" guy at 6'1/2" and lots of pounds!

I not only find the Bolt EV seats comfortable, so long as I sit completely in the middle, but the lumbar support is excellent!

You do realize you are moderating it's forum!?!

oilerlord said:
The Model 3 is the real deal: 310 miles. 170 miles of range on a 30 minute charge. $44,000.
Yes, it charges almost twice as fast. But for the kind of objections you've been raising it still wouldn't be adequate. That capability will cover a bit more of the spectrum of requirements, but it will fall short of what an ICE vehicle can accomplish. Hence - the state of the art is that long range travel in an EV is still a compromise for some people.

SeanNelson said:
But for the kind of objections you've been raising it still wouldn't be adequate. That capability will cover a bit more of the spectrum of requirements, but it will fall short of what an ICE vehicle can accomplish. Hence - the state of the art is that long range travel in an EV is still a compromise for some people.

310 miles of range covers a LOT more of the spectrum - including that famous 270 mile drive from LA to Vegas. Beyond 300 miles, there isn't much compromise because I think most would rather take a flight instead of drive. Given the 500,000 orders for the Model 3, I'm guessing the majority doesn't see much compromise with the Model 3.

I'd absolutely do that trip with a Model 3, having the comfort of knowing there are multiple (actually fast) charging sites to choose from along the route. The difference between making that trip with the Bolt or the Model 3 is that with the Tesla, we could stop when and where we want to, for as long as we want to - or not at all. I like having choices.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
The Model 3 is the real deal: 310 miles. 170 miles of range on a 30 minute charge. $44,000.
Yes, it charges almost twice as fast. But for the kind of objections you've been raising it still wouldn't be adequate. That capability will cover a bit more of the spectrum of requirements, but it will fall short of what an ICE vehicle can accomplish. Hence - the state of the art is that long range travel in an EV is still a compromise for some people.
He ought to actually read those articles he quotes!

Only the "premium" model has a 310 mile capacity; the standard model has a "Bolt EV-like" capacity of 220 miles!

The article also notes:
Anyone interested in ordering a Model 3 now will have to wait. Tesla says Model 3 deliveries for people who order today will begin mid-2018 the earliest.
So while Oilerlord is waiting at least a year for his Model 3, I have already enjoyed 11,000+ miles in my Bolt EV and more to come in the next 12+ months; all the while with a cold iced tea in my cup holder! :D :D

MichaelLAX said:
I not only find the Bolt EV seats comfortable, so long as I sit completely in the middle, but the lumbar support is excellent!

Nice for you, but not everyone has the same comfort. And seat comfort is a topic where different answers are not wrong.

MichaelLAX said:
Only the "premium" model has a 310 mile capacity; the standard model has a "Bolt EV-like" capacity of 220 miles!

$37,495 for the standard 220 mile version, or $44,000 for the premium model that goes 310 miles. Choice is good, isn't it? Please tell us why it isn't. Be specific.

oilerlord said:
MichaelLAX said:

$37,495 for the standard 220 mile version, or $44,000 for the premium model that goes 310 miles. Choice is good, isn't it? Please tell us why it isn't. Be specific.
You mean the "choice" of waiting 12 months to receive it?

In the computer industry it was called "vaporware!"

Take a photo of you in your Tesla 3 Premium holding that day's Las Vegas newspaper and post it here on this site!

I WON'T be holding my breath!

I will be drinking my chilly iced tea and enjoying my long range Bolt EV until then. And when my lease ends SOON afterwards, if the Tesla 3 Premium is truly the "state of the art" it will be my next EV, but I suspect it will be outdated by then!

In the meantime, tell us more about your 2014 compliance EV and your fleet of gas/diesel vehicles! Be specific!

WetEV said:
MichaelLAX said:

Nice for you, but not everyone has the same comfort. And seat comfort is a topic where different answers are not wrong.
You're absolutely correct; however in my anecdotal experience, no actual Bolt EV owner that I have met has any complaints about the seats, once they learn to sit in them properly. It seems to be another suspicious anonymous internet complaint!

That being said, I am sure GM will redesign them for 2018...

oilerlord said:
Tesla owns the state of the art... 500,000 orders and counting. The public has spoken...
Here's another opinion:
sparkyps said:
... Once people take a look at the $650+/mo payments for 6 years vs under $300/mo for leasing a Bolt for 3 years they may decide the Model 3's advantages don't over come the substantial cost of buying. I don't believe the initial Model 3 configuration page offers a lease option, from screenshots at another site.
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6634&e=1&view=unread#unread

More opinions are good, aren't they?

devbolt said:
All that the Bolt needs to make the trip to Vegas from Los Angeles more easily doable is a DC fast charging station in Barstow or Baker. Preferably both.

A fast charge station in Barstow is great. Just hope nobody else is using it or it is down.

Telsa has LOTS of Superchargers along the route to Vegas and they still back up at busy times, including 12 in Barstow. They are putting in a LOT more. Just count the number of Supercharger locations (not ports) along the way that are in service or will be within 12 months. I count 6, plus 2 in Vegas (for charging for the trip home) plus plenty in the LA area.

Now imagine one port, that can feed juice 1/2 as fast. Best of luck and best of luck with the speed of them being deployed.

MichaelLAX said:
WetEV said:
MichaelLAX said:

You're absolutely correct; however in my anecdotal experience, no actual Bolt EV owner that I have met has any complaints about the seats, once they learn to sit in them properly. It seems to be another suspicious anonymous internet complaint!

That being said, I am sure GM will redesign them for 2018...

Just so I get this straight: At first, you agree with him about the seats. Then you suggest he needs to learn how to "sit in them properly". Then you decide to call his post another suspicious anonymous complaint. Then on top of all that, you're "sure" GM will redesign the seats for 2018.

Dude, you're a piece of work.

No one, certainly not me, is talking to YOU about seats! I am having enough of a hard time rebutting the misinformation you continue to post about the Bolt EV and its easy ability to drive from LA to Las Vegas!!!

You once again mischaracterize one of my posts so you can then criticize it!! Have at it... I am not wasting my breathe with you about seats.

I was talking to a Moderator of this forum who does not own a Bolt EV; not YOU!

MichaelLAX said:
I've seen enough complaints from enough named posters on three different Bolt EV forums to accept the issue as a real one.

sparkyps said:
devbolt said:
All that the Bolt needs to make the trip to Vegas from Los Angeles more easily doable is a DC fast charging station in Barstow or Baker. Preferably both.

A fast charge station in Barstow is great. Just hope nobody else is using it or it is down.

Telsa has LOTS of Superchargers along the route to Vegas and they still back up at busy times, including 12 in Barstow. They are putting in a LOT more. Just count the number of Supercharger locations (not ports) along the way that are in service or will be within 12 months. I count 6, plus 2 in Vegas (for charging for the trip home) plus plenty in the LA area.

Now imagine one port, that can feed juice 1/2 as fast. Best of luck and best of luck with the speed of them being deployed.

Yes, the Supercharger network is vast and still expanding. Tesla is putting a lot of capital into it because they have to in order to survive as a company, especially as they prepare to sell hundreds of thousands of Model 3s in the coming year.

It is interesting, or annoying, that GM isn't putting any money into a charging network, but then again, they don't need to. Their survival as a company doesn't depend upon it.

Over the next 30 months VW has to spend $200M on charging stations all across California. You can bet that a fair amount of that money will be spent on stations along the I-15 corridor to Las Vegas. And it won't be one or two token CCS chargers in Barstow and Baker. 3 to 5 sites along the corridor each with 4 to 6 chargers at each site...

sparkyps said:
devbolt said:

The newer ones are being built out as multiples, not just one.

And if someone else is using it, it is a "fast charge station!"

Someone was using it in Victorville, so I used the other one!

MichaelLAX said:
Real Bolt EV owners?

Links please?
This 29-page thread should get you started:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/162-chevy-bolt-ev-likes-dislikes/6506-front-seats-ouch.html

There are people who have paid several hundred dollars to have the seats reupholstered at an upholstery shop, and there's another fellow who's trying to swap in seats from another car. Owners who find the seats to be fine don't spend that kind of time and money to change them.

I have no doubt that many people, doubtless the majority, have no problems with the seats. But I've never seen as many negative comments about car seats as I have in Chevy Bolt threads, so it sure seems to me like there's some sort of design issue with them.

SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:
Real Bolt EV owners?

Links please?
This 29-page thread should get you started:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/162-chevy-bolt-ev-likes-dislikes/6506-front-seats-ouch.html

There are people who have paid several hundred dollars to have the seats reupholstered at an upholstery shop, and there's another fellow who's trying to swap in seats from another car. Owners who find the seats to be fine don't spend that kind of time and money to change them.

I have no doubt that many people, doubtless the majority, have no problems with the seats. But I've never seen as many negative comments about car seats as I have in Chevy Bolt threads, so it sure seems to me like there's some sort of design issue with them.
And another Bolt owner who said that after driving it for a while any problem was barely noticeable! And another kept saying he loved his seats!

And lots and lots of "lookyloo" posters who don't own Bolt EVs adding their 2 cents!!

But the comment that impressed me the most was:

SeanNelson said:
specialed said:
Don't take somebody else's word on Bolt seat comfort. Go take an extended test drive and judge for yourself.
If there's anything that the seat controversy has taught us, it's that this is essential advice.

So I will leave it there!!

sparkyps said:
devbolt said:

My understanding is people abuse the free usage super chargers quite a lot, I imagine this will change (any new purchase unless referral program then any new purchase after this year will not have free unlimited super charging) the teslas will age and be replaced over the next 5-10 years. More people will be charging at home and using there free fast charging allotment more sparingly, but that's a guess I suppose

It's still within the realm of possibility that if superchargers become large and common place enough and not constantly crammed full of model 3's and Y's and whatever they could potentially become available to other manufacturers at a usage cost, I don't believe anyone worth listening too has said emphatically otherwise.

Ideally the 3 main fast charging types will be suable by all in some future like the ccs/chadmeo are more commonly being built now, aside from tesla owners I can't imagine anyone not charging at home (unless forced by apartments rules and such) as a matter of habit rather than necessity.

Back