Owners manual says little about battery care

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michael said:
One purpose of taxation is to limit undesirable behavior, and I believe burning of gasoline to drive a car is example of this undesirable behavior.

Yes, tax gas to death. Get rid of it like people got rid of tobacco. Make it expensive and socially unacceptable. Protect the interests of poorer people the way California already does...give them economic incentives to get clean, efficient cars.

I understand the point you're making...I just don't agree with it. Burning fossil fuels isn't "undesirable behavior" like smoking a cigarrette, drinking alcohol, or gambling, it's a result of how we're able to live in a first-world society. Without fossil fuels, people would freeze in winter, and without the necessities of life being transported to our cities via truck & train, life as we know it would end. You may be prepared to go back to the 1800's and live off the land, but I'm not.

oilerlord said:
I understand the point you're making...I just don't agree with it. Burning fossil fuels isn't "undesirable behavior" like smoking a cigarrette, drinking alcohol, or gambling, it's a result of how we're able to live in a first-world society. Without fossil fuels, people would freeze in winter, and without the necessities of life being transported to our cities via truck & train, life as we know it would end. You may be prepared to go back to the 1800's and live off the land, but I'm not.

Fossil fuels are one way that we can live in a first-world society. There are other ways: a mix of solar, wind, hydro and fission is probably the best alternative with current technology. There are other alternative mixes, and many speculative technologies.

We need to find another way, as fossil fuels have side effects, and are limited in amount. We have time, and should use time to make the transition as smooth as practical.

oilerlord said:
I understand the point you're making...I just don't agree with it. Burning fossil fuels isn't "undesirable behavior" like smoking a cigarrette, drinking alcohol, or gambling, it's a result of how we're able to live in a first-world society. Without fossil fuels, people would freeze in winter, and without the necessities of life being transported to our cities via truck & train, life as we know it would end.
We used to take cigarrettes for granted until we woke up and realized how damaging they were. We are now realizing how damaging fossil fuel use has been. Isn't it time to look for and encourage alternatives? Life as we know it requires heat and transportation, not fossil fuels. There other ways to achieve those ends if we have the will to move forward rather than just doing the same old things that have been killing us.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
I understand the point you're making...I just don't agree with it. Burning fossil fuels isn't "undesirable behavior" like smoking a cigarrette, drinking alcohol, or gambling, it's a result of how we're able to live in a first-world society. Without fossil fuels, people would freeze in winter, and without the necessities of life being transported to our cities via truck & train, life as we know it would end.
We used to take cigarrettes for granted until we woke up and realized how damaging they were. We are now realizing how damaging fossil fuel use has been. Isn't it time to look for and encourage alternatives? Life as we know it requires heat and transportation, not fossil fuels. There other ways to achieve those ends if we have the will to move forward rather than just doing the same old things that have been killing us.
+1

SeanNelson said:
Isn't it time to look for and encourage alternatives? Life as we know it requires heat and transportation, not fossil fuels. There other ways to achieve those ends if we have the will to move forward rather than just doing the same old things that have been killing us.

Finally. Someone has found the answer to our addiction to fossil fuels. We just need the will to move forward. I'm surprised no one else thought of it.

It's -3F outside, and will be -15F overnight, but now is the time to take a stand. Perhaps it's time to call the utility and shut off my natural gas. Who needs a natural gas furnace when I have the will to move forward. err...except that to your point, I'm going to "require" heat. My PV doesn't generate enough because the days are too short (only 103 kWh's so far this month, and I'm already at 220 kWh's just to charge my car's battery). Geothermal doesn't work (tried it in another house), and the majority of our poco's electricity generation comes from natural gas which isn't changing to 100% renewable energy anytime soon.

Let's do this, Sean. I really want to make this work. I have the will to move forward, now it's only a matter of the "how" to move forward. That has to be easy for someone with your vision. Please help a fellow environmentalist make this happen.

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:
Let's do this, Sean. I really want to make this work. I have the will to move forward, now it's only a matter of the "how" to move forward. That has to be easy for someone with your vision. Please help a fellow environmentalist make this happen.
Well, supporting government programs that incentivize research, development and deployment of alternative technologies seems like a pretty darn good place to start.

SeanNelson said:
Well, supporting government programs that incentivize research, development and deployment of alternative technologies seems like a pretty darn good place to start.

More "will to move forward" without "how to move forward". That's all armchair environmentalists have, and pretty much what I expected. They dream of a future society independent of fossil fuels without being grounded in the reality around them - that only creates a bigger divide. Joe Public isn't stupid. He knows that "supporting government programs" is code for "higher taxes". Want to get Joe Public on your side? Stop hitting him with that green stick. If Joe bought a Chevy Sonic because it made more sense (to him) than a Chevy Bolt did, then at very least he chose a fuel efficient car with modern pollution controls. Roundpeg ordered a Bolt, that's another a small win for the environment. Millions of small wins may only make a dent in climate change, but I can accept that.

This is how you and I differ in our expectations, and how we approach and influence others to recognize, and join in the fight against climate change.

My apologies to the moderator. Not at all about battery care. Perhaps this discussion needs it's own thread.

Back