The seats are a deal killer.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JupiterMoon said:
BTW, how do you like your B-class? That and the i3 are on our list of vehicles for upcoming leases. My wife likes the B-Class, I prefer the i3. I've driven both. I've got to say the B-class is very comfortable and smooth. But the range might be an issue (for me not for her). Just thought I'd ask given you've probably had it for a few years now?

We love the B. I bought it used (with 6,000 miles on it, and 65% off MSRP) and have put about 6500 miles on it since last June. There has been a couple of times this winter where we've had to drive my wife's car due to cold temperature range concerns but otherwise it's been excellent. My wife preferred the B-Class too, probably because it has a level of ride and luxury similar to her BMW. At 3900 pounds, it's a heavy car and not all that efficient. With that said, I've been able to stretch 120 miles out of it's 28kWh battery summer but 100 miles is something you can count on most of the time (assuming you don't experience winter temperatures or do 70+ MPH freeway driving). Total capacity is 36 kWh, so the 8 kWh buffer should extend the pack's overall life by some degree. I intend to keep this car for 6+ years.

As used EV's are concerned, the B cost about $10K more than a used Focus EV, but it's easily twice the car. It's relatively large inside too, with ample cargo space. Given Tesla supplied the motor and battery for the car, that gave us some peace of mind too. It's also one of the few cars on the market that has 10kW L2 charging - that has come in handy for me when we've needed relatively quick charging turnarounds when I come home from work and we want to go somewhere in the evening. We don't have public DCFC where we live, so a fast charging option wasn't important to me.

The seats are comfortable too :lol:

phil0909 said:
I've driven over 600 miles and the seats feel fine. Verdict: The seats are not guilty! :mrgreen:

Sorry, this is the First Circuit Court of I Feel. Guilty, without even being charged.

roundpeg said:
phil0909 said:
I've driven over 600 miles and the seats feel fine. Verdict: The seats are not guilty! :mrgreen:

Sorry, this is the First Circuit Court of I Feel. Guilty, without even being charged.

I wonder why there are so many posts on this thread. More evidence that where there is smoke there is fire.

roundpeg said:
In the hyperbole war, you win. I definitely give you that.

This isn't the only forum that has discussed the seats as being uncomfortable.

Given the amount of initial feedback from owners to professional reviewers, I tend to believe that it is an issue, and will be come a larger issue as thousands of people start driving their Bolts. The phrase "where there is smoke there is fire" fits perfectly.

oilerlord said:
This isn't the only forum that has discussed the seats as being uncomfortable.

Given the amount of initial feedback from owners to professional reviewers, I tend to believe that it is an issue, and will be come a larger issue as thousands of people start driving their Bolts. The phrase "where there is smoke there is fire" fits perfectly.

You must have missed where I already conceded the hyperbole war. I haven't used exaggeration or sweeping generalizations to make my points and will not be starting now. In the hyperbole war, I am a noncombatant.

If you want to know what I think about this issue, you need only read what I have written. I find myself making requests for that particular courtesy more and more often, sadly.

CopperRoad said:
ScooterCT said:
The Bolt seats might be horrible for one person, awesome for another person.

"Bolt seat is awesome". Said no one. Ever. ;)

I think the Bolt seats are fine, even though it is not hard to see why some larger people may be bothered by hard points that do not bother me.

Some of the most awesome feeling seats that I have sat in were the Recaro seats in the Ford Fiesta ST and Ford Focus ST cars on display in a Ford store. But those are sporty seats that would certainly be very uncomfortable to those larger than a certain size (and that certain size is quite lean, especially for the seats in the Fiesta ST, shown below).

Ford-Fiesta_ST_03.jpg

leodoggie said:
Perhaps after your test drive and cushion evaluation you could give us a run down of what worked and what didn't and why. Also if you finally decide to buy or not.

I didn't test drive the car again, I just ended up sitting in the car (LT Model) with the various cushions. As for the cushions, I bought a few from Amazon not really knowing what to look for, what would be needed, or what to expect. A random selection.

First I'll say that all cushions (*see Wondergel below) removed the uncomfortable feeling of my hips contacting the frame. The two black cushions were too thick and put me at high driver position which I did not like. Both were memory foam, with the notched cushion having much higher density memory foam. *The Wondergel cushion was the thinnest. Unfortunately it arrived without a seat cover so I couldn't get a true feel for the cushion itself, but it seemed to stop the problem for me. The grey cushion (not memory foam) was very comfortable and a bit thinner than the black cushions, and much thinner when in use.

After this simple test I feel that a cushion could fix the issue I have with the seat. I would opt for the thinnest least intrusive cushion I could find. But I feel confident that the seat issue could be remedied. Ultimately it would be nice if the sitting position/surface could be raised with more cushion keeping hips away from the plastic frame.

(All cushions were tried with the seat set in the lowest position)

cushions_bolt_front_seat.jpg

boltage said:
CopperRoad said:
ScooterCT said:
The Bolt seats might be horrible for one person, awesome for another person.

"Bolt seat is awesome". Said no one. Ever. ;)

I think the Bolt seats are fine, even though it is not hard to see why some larger people may be bothered by hard points that do not bother me.

Some of the most awesome feeling seats that I have sat in were the Recaro seats in the Ford Fiesta ST and Ford Focus ST cars on display in a Ford store. But those are sporty seats that would certainly be very uncomfortable to those larger than a certain size (and that certain size is quite lean, especially for the seats in the Fiesta ST, show below).

Ford-Fiesta_ST_03.jpg

But I'm thin (32" waist) and so are people that have expressed discomfort. The seat just seems to be designed strangely. Why have the seating position fall between the plastic frame? Raise it up, or include firm side bolsters as protection. I'd much rather hit a bolster than a frame.

I definitely agree, the Recaro Ford Fiesta ST seats are really snug. They also have those winged bolsters at the back of the seat. Definitely not fun for someone over 6'2".

Put me in the seats are awful camp. After driving home 45 minutes from the dealer, my left lower butt/rear upper leg was sore, as was my lower back. Like others have mentioned, this doesn't show up in a 5 minute test drive.

I don't quite understand the comments about hips, as I think of the hips as the point on the body where the pelvis is widest. I felt like the unwanted pressure was on the small of my back and the left rear, where the butt meets the leg.

Cheers, Wayne

roundpeg said:
phil0909 said:

Hah! I hate that court. :lol:

roundpeg said:
You must have missed where I already conceded the hyperbole war. I haven't used exaggeration or sweeping generalizations to make my points and will not be starting now. In the hyperbole war, I am a noncombatant.

If you want to know what I think about this issue, you need only read what I have written. I find myself making requests for that particular courtesy more and more often, sadly.

You wrote:

roundpeg said:
Sorry, this is the First Circuit Court of I Feel.

No exaggeration or sweeping generalization in that statement... :roll:

Look, I'm not sure why we're butting heads. This is merely a discussion about the Bolt's front seat comfort (or lack thereof). not a "war". People are free to use whatever adjectives, phrases, metaphors, or hyperbole's they choose to describe what they feel to get their point across.

Yes, I have read your posts all along and had a pretty good idea what you think about the issue. By calling this thread the "First Circuit Court of I Feel" - I'm now 100% certain what you think about it.

oilerlord said:
By calling this thread the "First Circuit Court of I Feel" - I'm now 100% certain what you think about it.

Or, perhaps it was only a joke...

I had a chance to sit in an LT at Tonkin in Portland today (they had four available Friday morning, as of tonight the white LT with no options other than CCS is all they have left). These are the cloth seats without heaters.

I felt a little pinched in the back, right about the kidney, but not miserably painful. Wife felt it in her backside, but her back was fine.

We are both wider than average people, but about average height.

As of now I don't see the seats as a deal breaker for us, but our LT will have the seat heaters. Hopefully will know soon!

FWIW.

NOOOOOOO..... DONT DO IT

Go back and test drive the car for at least 10 min

stevewa said:
I had a chance to sit in an LT at Tonkin in Portland today (they had four available Friday morning, as of tonight the white LT with no options other than CCS is all they have left). These are the cloth seats without heaters.

I felt a little pinched in the back, right about the kidney, but not miserably painful. Wife felt it in her backside, but her back was fine.

We are both wider than average people, but about average height.

As of now I don't see the seats as a deal breaker for us, but our LT will have the seat heaters. Hopefully will know soon!

FWIW.

My advice to you is to be sensible, once you have picked the Bolt you want, take it on a twenty minute test drive that encompasses as many road conditions as possible.
If the seats are not an issue, then you have done your due diligence and can drive in comfort and enjoy your wonderful new EV.

Has anyone taken the car in to a professional seat upholster yet to see what can be done about the seats?

marshallinwa said:
Has anyone taken the car in to a professional seat upholster yet to see what can be done about the seats?

Yes, some people are having the seats professionally redone, with more padding. I haven't seen any reviews of the finished seats yet, but I don't bother with the other Bolt forum much.

I have seen mention of "overnight test drives." I'm going to try to arrange one, and I suggest others do the same. At the very least, we should all bring several seat cushions with us!

I sat in an LT today (Premier previously). I've easily got 1-1/2" on either side between my hips and the frame, and it felt sport-comfortable to me, so I'll be the first to say it, "The Bolt seats are awesome (for me)."
However, I could see how standard-width Americans could have real issues with the seats.

leodoggie said:
My advice to you is to be sensible, once you have picked the Bolt you want, take it on a twenty minute test drive that encompasses as many road conditions as possible.
If the seats are not an issue, then you have done your due diligence and can drive in comfort and enjoy your wonderful new EV.

Obviously we will get at least that much time in the seats before we sign anything. Especially considering the car we saw yesterday was a bare-bones model and the one we've reserved has the seat heaters, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back