This is what Tesla Owners said about the Bolt last year!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add the Tesla Super Charger network is another example of Tesla blazing a trail.

The Tesla Super Charger network can handle the number of Tesla Model S's on the road.

I don't know how to do the calculation, but I suspect and believe the Tesla Super Charger network will be overwhelmed by the onslaught of Tesla Model 3's hitting the highways, by the year 2020.

Before then, I believe, Tesla will need to have both a CCS combo adapter (CharIN) and a CHAdeMO adapter for the Tesla Model 3 owners, and the Tesla Model 3 owners will need to recharge at commercial spots like GreenLots, ChargePoint, and others.

Tesla, in building their Super Charger network provided a proof of concept. They blazed the trail.

It's up to the rest of us to catch up. It's up to companies that specialize in charging stations to actually pave the electric car charging station road.

It's up to the CCS Combo (CharIN) people and the CHAdeMO people to work, first toward making a 150 KwH charging infrastructure possible, and eventually to making a 350 KwH charging infrastructure possible.

I'm confident Elon Musk sees this. Why else would Tesla join the CCS Combo (CharIN) consortium?

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen estimates how many cars might be waiting at various charging stations by the year 2020?
Some charging stations will be very popular, overwhelmed. Other charging stations will be much less frequently used.

DucRider said:
Breezy said:
Aidan said:
And Tesla DOES need to deal with the EPA to produce the Monroney label (MPGe, range, fuel savings, etc.).

That's true. They are saved from having to meet emissions requirements with whatever branch of the EPA deals with that, and I imagine that's a considerable savings.

Tesla does produce great electric vehicles but considering there is a lot of hype around the Tesla name and the Tesla name is incredibly trendy I imagine many people who buy the Tesla are buying it to keep with the trends and are not open to other up-and-coming comparable electric vehicles

Breezy said:
That's true. They are saved from having to meet emissions requirements with whatever branch of the EPA deals with that, and I imagine that's a considerable savings.
Not really. They just measure emissions at the tailpipe when running the test cycles.

DucRider said:
Breezy said:
Not really. They just measure emissions at the tailpipe when running the test cycles.
"Tailpipe"? What is this "tailpipe" of which you speak?

DucRider said:
Breezy said:

You do realize that Breezy was referring to Tesla, right? Tesla doesn't make a single car with a tailpipe. Therefore, as a company, they do not ever deal with that branch of the EPA.

If you asked VW, I imagine they would disagree that dealing with the EPA is simply a matter of submitting emissions testing results.

GetOffYourGas said:
DucRider said:
Breezy said:

You do realize that Breezy was referring to Tesla, right? Tesla doesn't make a single car with a tailpipe. Therefore, as a company, they do not ever deal with that branch of the EPA.
He was referring to the added difficulty of dealing with the EPA on emissions requirements. The same tests are used, but since EV's have no tailpipe that sensor is never hooked up. There is no separate "branch" of the EPA that deals with tailpipes/ICE vehicles as opposed to BEVs, PHEV's, FCEV's etc.

It costs the same to run the tests for an ICE or an EV - so no "considerable savings".

Breezy said:
If you asked VW, I imagine they would disagree that dealing with the EPA is simply a matter of submitting emissions testing results.
It worked for ~20 years :D

Designing an ICE that meets the various emissions requirements around the world is indeed a challenge, and technology is well into the diminishing returns area. ICE engines are about 30% efficient in the best case scenario, and finding even a 1% improvement is hugely difficult and costly at this point. Electric motors (including battery and charging losses) are at worst 60% efficient, most are 70%+.

The Chevy Bolt packs quite a punch with all its technology and luxuries plus it's affordable price range it's a very difficult car to say anything negative about

laev said:
lot of hype around the Tesla name and the Tesla name is incredibly trendy I imagine many people who buy the Tesla are buying it to keep with the trends and are not open to other up-and-coming comparable electric vehicles

Why make things up? Tesla owner here. We have a Smart ED as well, and I'm trying to get my parents into a Volt. From interaction with hundreds of other Tesla owners in get-togthers and on forums, the general sense I get is that Tesla owners don't hate other EV's, quite the opposite.

I may not be a fan of GM personally due to their anti-Tesla rhetoric/ads, or Mercedes/Ford for their foot dragging, but I've owned all these brands and would have considered them had Tesla not delivered such an amazing car in the Model S.

Once you've driven a Tesla, you'll understand it's not a status symbol, it's just simply the best car ever made.

Tesla is "simply the best car ever made"? This is Just worship at the Temple of Tesla. It's what really turns off other more rational and open-minded EV enthusiasts.

I like my Tesla quite a lot, but I would never proclaim it, or any other car for that matter, the "best car ever made".

elpwr said:
Tesla is "simply the best car ever made"? This is Just worship at the Temple of Tesla.
I tend to agree, particularly when the criteria to judge what's "best" is as different as every driver. "Best car I've ever owned" is a perfectly cromulent comment, but "best car anyone has ever owned" is too grandiose a claim, IMHO. By making the statement it calls into question whether anything else you say about the car might also be hyperbole.

DucRider said:
Breezy said:
It worked for ~20 years :D

Designing an ICE that meets the various emissions requirements around the world is indeed a challenge, and technology is well into the diminishing returns area. ICE engines are about 30% efficient in the best case scenario, and finding even a 1% improvement is hugely difficult and costly at this point. Electric motors (including battery and charging losses) are at worst 60% efficient, most are 70%+.

You are talking about emissions, but then jump to efficiency. These are, of course, two different things. Yes, EVs are typically >70% efficient ("wall-to-wheels", so to speak). But they are also truly zero emissions. There may or may not be emissions upstream in generating the electricity. But in many parts of the world, you have the choice to eliminate that as well. None of that is any concern to the EPA when measuring emissions of the car. They deal with the electric providers separately.

When speaking of EPA emissions, the ICE cars have an ever steeper requirement with diminishing returns on investment. By contrast, BEVs are already "there". They are zero emissions, so there is zero concern in meeting those requirements. It seems to me that rather than fighting an ever steeper curve, the automakers should focus on bringing the full solution to the table sooner and in larger quantities.

DucRider said:
A Tesla isn't viable for long distance travel away from the major interstates.

I tried to think of an example where someone would take a long distance trip while also avoiding major interstates and couldn't think of any. :D

ssspinball said:
DucRider said:

I tried to think of an example where someone would take a long distance trip while also avoiding major interstates and couldn't think of any. :D

Really? You clearly don't know anyone who enjoys the outdoors.

GetOffYourGas said:
ssspinball said:
DucRider said:

False. Everyone I know that enjoys the outdoors takes the faster route to get to their outdoor location--which means a highway!

ssspinball said:
GetOffYourGas said:
ssspinball said:

False. Everyone I know that enjoys the outdoors takes the fastest route to get to their outdoor location--which means a highway!

ssspinball said:
GetOffYourGas said:
ssspinball said:

False. Everyone I know that enjoys the outdoors takes the faster route to get to their outdoor location--which means a highway!

I'm talking about destinations off the beaten path. I'm don't know where you live, but there are no highways in most places I consider the great outdoors.

Places/trips I've done that would be at best inconvenient with a Tesla:
Glacier National Park
Banff/Jasper
North Cascades scenic loop
Grand Coulee Dam/Lake Chelan
Steamboat Springs via Rocky Mountain National Park
Utah National Park loop (Canyonlands, Arches, Natural Bridges, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce, Escalante staircase, Capital Reef
Million Dollar Highway (Ouray/Durango)

There are many more

Back