Wireless Charging support for iPhone 8/8 Plus & X

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have had no luck with the wireless charger working with my new iPhone X, and searching other posts about wireless charging this seems to be the overall problem with newer iPhones that support the Qi wireless standard that the Bolt EV is supposed to support as well.

Is there a setting I'm missing that turns on the wireless charging port in the Bolt?

Did you try all four possible orientations of putting the phone into the slot?

right side up screen facing driver
right side up screen facing passenger
upside down screen facing driver
upside down screen facing passenger

I have charged a phone (not an iPhone) with Qi wireless charging in the slot.

I found this note from Qi Wireless on their website:

Apple also notes that for Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC vehicles, only a select number of 2018 vehicles support the current Qi wireless standard. The 2017 versions with wireless charging do not meet these Qi wireless requirements.

So looks like it's a no go for iPhone 8/ 8 Plus/ X

Yes, I did try all the variations...

boltage said:
Did you try all four possible orientations of putting the phone into the slot?
The rubber insert that holds the phone snugly is designed to press the back of the phone against the passenger side of the pocket, so it seems obvious that the phone is supposed to be inserted with the screen facing the driver. And since you would normally be using the USB connection on the bottom of the phone, you need to insert it "upside down" with the USB socket pointing up.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 doesn't charge wirelessly in the slot, but I have it in an Otter case which would no doubt interfere. But I have no need for the wireless charging since it charges quite quickly via the USB connection, even when using Android Auto.

Somewhat a moot point until wireless CP (or AA) becomes available (currently wireless CP requires active wifi)...The Bolt EV's USB ports are faster than wireless, 2.1a+ 12v USB adapters will charge it even faster and there's also iPhone quick charging on the 8/8 Plus & X which will require a lightning to USB-C wire and again a higher speed USB-C 12v charger...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

Back