No noise pollution a huge bonus to EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcdn

A car race was held in Provence alpes Cote d'azur one of Europeans quitest Villages it was in the middle of the night everybody was ripping and tearing up and down the streets and not one person woke up Another benefit of electric vehicles - no noise pollution

I agree with no noise pollution as a plus but I've read articles where it has mentioned it is a risk because you cannot hear the EV pulling up behind you or passing you on the side I

sam said:
I agree with no noise pollution as a plus but I've read articles where it has mentioned it is a risk because you cannot hear the EV pulling up behind you or passing you on the side I

If you can't hear an EV beside you on the highway, it's because you're driving in a loud gas powered car. ;-)
EV's still have road noise, and anything more than 50 km/h the noise from the tires is sufficient to be heard.
My Smart ED makes artificial noise (which sounds like the Jetson's car, cool) below 45 km/h for this reason.

Race cars are a special case, particularly if they use exhaust systems with modified or removed mufflers.

But in normal driving EVs at cruising speed make just as much road noise as a gas-powered cars do. It's only while accelerating or at very slow speeds that there's a difference. And I find that a lot of ICE cars are surprisingly quiet at idle these days.

I dunno, I've hit more squirrels and rabbits in my EV than any other car I've owned. Going 30 mph down rural roads is hazardous for them. The only explanation I have is the lack of noise.

Zoomit said:
I dunno, I've hit more squirrels and rabbits in my EV than any other car I've owned. Going 30 mph down rural roads is hazardous for them. The only explanation I have is the lack of noise.

Maybe they are so excited to see a Leaf that they can die happy? I've seen many suicidal animals dart in front of my car after having clearly seen me. The worst are the deer though. They stare at the car, then across the road, then at the car, then across the road. As if they are thinking "can I make it? can I make it?" when it is clear the answer is no, that is when the jump out in front of you.

Oh yeah I never thought about the positives of the vehicle making noise but it makes sense animals would use that vehicle noise as a precautionary measure

Driving through my neighborhood yesterday at 25 mph there were some deer in the road easily heard my EV coming due to tire and wind noise. At any speed over around 10 mph it makes just as much noise as any modern ICE car. I don't hear engine noise from most ICE cars coming towards me unless they are aggressively accelerating.

My husband and I were just talking about this today. He went to watch some drag racing last weekend and was commenting on how loud it was. He wears ear plugs if he goes all day. He had watched electric cars race and says there still is noise but they are much much quieter

Back