Chevy Bolt vs Tesla Model 3, lack of charger network matter?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

https://youtu.be/BXrJBoET7PM

In the video the Electric Israeli comments that GM's lack of commitment in installing a fast charging network may lead to the failure of the Bolt, especially once the Tesla Model III hits the market.

However, that's where I see vehicles like the Volt really coming into play. If indeed you are one of those families with a cabin in Vermont, and the need to drive on multiple hundred mile journeys often, than the Bolt isn't for you, or the Bolt EV is the second vehicle for your household.

Thinking back on the previous couple years, there were 3 times my family travelled farther than 200 miles, but on all of those occasions, a 1 hour or longer stop would not have been a big deal. It was a slow, thoughtful journey with the family to a vacation destination anyways.

I agree with you. 200 mile range will take care of 100% of my daily use, something my present 80 mile car doesn't handle without recharging.

If I take a long trip, a Volt is a better solution than any electric car, including Tesla.

I've taken maybe 100 coast-to-coast trips in my life, and except for the time I was 1 year old and my parents moved from New York to California, exactly zero of them have been in a car. Tesla's nationwide network of superchargers looks very impressive, but it does me no good.

It's like the cellular company that shows me that its network covers all of North Dakota. That's fine, but I will consider primarily who gives the best coverage in Southern California.

If I have 200 mile range, I carry with me all the energy I need for 99% of what I do. Fast charger network doesn't matter.

In my opinion, Chevy Bolt is a better car than Tesla Model 3. Its charging networks might be less but the range of the car covers for that.

michael said:
I agree with you. 200 mile range will take care of 100% of my daily use, something my present 80 mile car doesn't handle without recharging.

If I take a long trip, a Volt is a better solution than any electric car, including Tesla.

I've taken maybe 100 coast-to-coast trips in my life, and except for the time I was 1 year old and my parents moved from New York to California, exactly zero of them have been in a car. Tesla's nationwide network of superchargers looks very impressive, but it does me no good.

It's like the cellular company that shows me that its network covers all of North Dakota. That's fine, but I will consider primarily who gives the best coverage in Southern California.

If I have 200 mile range, I carry with me all the energy I need for 99% of what I do. Fast charger network doesn't matter.
This is a very logical response from an experienced EV driver. I feel similarly.

However, range is a huge deal for those unfamiliar with their needs and have anxiety about EV technology. The Supercharging network is like a 4WD SUV; most buyers may never need its full capability, but people value and pay for the flexibility it gives them.

The Tesla SC network is their cars killer feature. Being able to rapid charge an EV is very liberating.

I've had my LEAF for 5 years. The first two years there were no Rapid chargers available. Ever since they became available my annual mileage went up. I'm doing over 20,000 miles a year right now.

200 mile car should be able to do 20,000 miles/year as well, but the freedom of being able to charge on the go is truly liberating.

GM would be well advised to build out CCS. They said they won't, it's a mistake.

If someone makes a CHAdeMO to CCS adapter then I'd see the Bolt as better than the Model 3 in terms of rapid charge capability. Simply because Nashville is 100% CHAdeMO, with plenty of units.

The lack of a charging Network for the Chevy Bolt is definitely a concern for me

Depends on where you live.

Here in Ontario Canada, the provincial government is spending $20M to built out hundreds of fast charging stations throughout the province in 2017 within convenient highway accessible locations.

The Chevy Bolt will travel two hours and then take an hour to charge. Not bad. Not as fast/convenient as Tesla supercharging, but not bad.

The Volt (range extender) is the car for those who can't wait for their area to build out with convenient fast charging.

It also depends on how many chargers are at each location and how well they are maintained. In my experience, CCS is usually 1 or 2 plugs, and when one is broken it could be weeks or even months before it's fixed. The maintenance is highly variable depending on the network and/or private business supporting it.

Telsa is usually 8+ plugs, and they are extremely on top of fixing broken chargers.

The interesting thing is that this post was originally created in July it is the end of August and we have reports that Tesla since their merger with SolarCity may be offering solar panel charging stations for each person who buys a Tesla. Technology is changing rapidly for the better and for more access

People owe it to themselves to actually look at the availability of CCS chargers in their area rather than assuming there is no charging network for the Bolt.

In some places, for some people, CCS chargers may actually be more useful :eek: than Superchargers.

In my case, for example, I rarely travel along major freeways/expressways where Superchargers are typically located. The Ontario provincial CCS/CHAdeMO network, currently being built, will have locations along secondary highways that I use frequently.

Of course, with a Tesla I could still use a CHAdeMO adapter. But that's a purchase consideration weighed against other factors, not a deal breaker.

Back