Bloomberg's Review

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say that I'm finding all of these "nice but ugly" comments a bit off-putting. There are a ton of other ICE cars with a very similar look and form factor that never get hit with that kind of description. What is it about the Bolt that's drawing these kinds of comments?

SeanNelson said:
I gotta say that I'm finding all of these "nice but ugly" comments a bit off-putting. There are a ton of other ICE cars with a very similar look and form factor that never get hit with that kind of description. What is it about the Bolt that's drawing these kinds of comments?

For some reason people are hyper-critical of EVs.

And frankly to be honest, there really hasn't been an outstandingly good looking EV to date. Not even the Tesla Model S is a stunner IMO and is looking very outdated now.

As much as the article claims "buyers" only wanted "range and price and range,", I think that's utterly idiotic because a good looking vehicle sells. I don't know who these EV drivers are that GM pulled opinions from but style is an important factor in the marketing and sales of anything. I'd venture to say that EV's would have sold much better had automakers actually put effort into making their cars look attractive.

The Bolt isn't a bad looking vehicle IMO...but it doesn't stand out either. And EVs should stand out IMO in a good way not bad (like a Leaf, e.g).

JupiterMoon said:
SeanNelson said:

And frankly to be honest, there really hasn't been an outstandingly good looking EV to date. Not even the Tesla Model S is a stunner IMO and is looking very outdated now.

As much as the article claims "buyers" only wanted "range and price and range,", I think that's utterly idiotic because a good looking vehicle sells. I don't know who these EV drivers are that GM pulled opinions from but style is an important factor in the marketing and sales of anything. I'd venture to say that EV's would have sold much better had automakers actually put effort into making their cars look attractive.

The Bolt isn't a bad looking vehicle IMO...but it doesn't stand out either. And EVs should stand out IMO in a good way not bad (like a Leaf, e.g).

Good looking is just one part of the equation here. Too much emphasis on it detracts from the engineering that is required to make it perform, both in terms of range, and utility. I think it's good that it looks just like another typical car out there because it shows that you can have a practical EV without it having to look like something out of a 70's science fiction movie or an exotic sports car.

Some years ago, I worked with a GM-trained engineer. He described the "discussions" between designers and engineers over getting a blueprint finalized, sometimes working weeks on a quarter inch.

In the consumer reports video, they discuss the design they aren't fond of. They said that the engineers must of won every discussion. Personally, I prefer the engineers winning, rather than give in to comprises just for the sake of design.

devbolt said:
JupiterMoon said:
SeanNelson said:

Good looking is just one part of the equation here. Too much emphasis on it detracts from the engineering that is required to make it perform, both in terms of range, and utility. I think it's good that it looks just like another typical car out there because it shows that you can have a practical EV without it having to look like something out of a 70's science fiction movie or an exotic sports car.

Yes true but looks has taken a very very far back seat in EVs compared to regular vehicles. Now is the time for design and aesthetics to also shine with EV designs...there is absolutely no reason not to anymore.

I'd rate this some of the worst writing about an EV that I've read. It sounds like an EV hater who had to struggle to find something good to say about an EV. No, not many LEAF drivers are "kicking-themselves". I'm sure most knew about the higher range cars in the pipeline, but they didn't want to wait for them. The ugly thing is ludicrous. It's like someone with a horse cart saying they won't buy a model-T because they think they're ugly.

Designing an electric car means you have a clean slate to work with without the airflow requirements imposed by a front engine ICE.
Why does the Bolt have a grille(s)?
I agree with people on the Tesla 3 boards, it is a lost opportunity.

I, for one, love the look of the Tesla S but never warmed to the Boeing 737 front end of the original.

like2bike said:
The ugly thing is ludicrous. It's like someone with a horse cart saying they won't buy a model-T because they think they're ugly.

:lol:

To me, this car doesn't look wildly different from a Honda Fit. And I see Fits on the road all the time. So I would think the market would receive the car well enough.

The Bolt has 3 cooling systems, so an airflow is needed. The cooling systems are for the cabin, the electric components in the drive system, and battery thermal management system. I learned this after seeing 3 radiator overflows under the hood.

Eastocean said:

The Bolt has 3 cooling systems, so an airflow is needed. The cooling systems are for the cabin, the electric components in the drive system, and battery thermal management system. I learned this after seeing 3 radiator overflows under the hood.

Sure, but even then, they appear to pull the air from under the bumper, so, the question remains as to what they could have done without relying on grilles as a design elements? And not have it look like a Leaf in the process.

Back