Bolt as a Powerwall

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any updates? AS I sit here with no power, I wonder why this hasn't been done like it has for the Prius, although that really uses the generator not the battery.

With the Leaf you can connect an inverter of up to 2kw (with draw limited to 1500 watts for safety) to the 12 bolt battery and chassis ground. As long as the car is left in Ready to drive mode, the DC-DC converter will replace the power drained from the 12 volt battery as needed. This CANNOT be done with an EV in accessory mode, as it will quickly kill the 12 volt battery.

There is a future for V2G/V2H - just a matter of time? As electrified vehicles increase to the 10's and 100's of millions, the energy storage capabilities is significant when compared to both the grid power and energy levels. Will GM (Bolt) allow their CCS protocols to be bi-directional? Connecting to the ~400 VDC bus is not an issue - Pika Energy equipment can do that now for grid connected bi-directional home solar energy systems. Setec Power makes a CHAdeMO based V2H unit for the Leaf that is limited to 3000 VA, but is NOT grid compatible. Progress seems slow - but that could change as EVs become common. WHEN? seems to be the question.

Please post any progress - especially the CCS implementation - I'll likely purchase the Bolt when/if it happens - to connect to my solar system.

would the bolt recharge the 12v if I hooked up an inverter like the leaf does?

lucatious said:
would the bolt recharge the 12v if I hooked up an inverter like the leaf does?

I believe the car has to be "ON" to charge the 12v battery. It notes in several sections of the owners manual that in accessory or service mode electrical devices can drain the 12 volt battery. I don't think running an inverter directly off the battery would be any different.

yes, the big pack charges the 12v if the Bolt is powered on. I checked with a voltmeter and see the 12v battery voltage goes up. But confirm whether it needs to be in Neutral or Park.

In the Volt, the 12v batt only gets charged while in Neutral (or D/L) but there are a lot of "noise" like pumps and all kind of stuff; which are not present in Park. Somebody on Volt forum discovered that the 12v batt gets charged in Park if the shifter button is pressed; which I've used for several hours on the Volt during the last power outage a couple months ago.

Back