Bolt won't remember my 12 amp setting

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patronus said:
Page 130: "After 90 days, a notification will display and the Charge Limit Preference will need to be reset for the next 90 days."

Ok, missed that. Wouldn't it have been simpler to just post this response in the 1st place?

Think it's stupid but it remains to be seen what "reset" means. Does it just mean flipping the switch from 8 to 12 amps again? If so, not that big a deal but I still think it's stupid.

The other question will be is if you've also set the "Hilltop Reserve" option on which is paired w/the Location Based Charging when activated will have to be "reset" as well.

Other than living on a hilltop and wanting to gain the regen advantage of the beginning of the drive, is there any other advantage to this setting ("hilltop reserve")?

MichaelLAX said:
Other than living on a hilltop and wanting to gain the regen advantage of the beginning of the drive, is there any other advantage to this setting ("hilltop reserve")?

This has been recommended for those Bolt owners who want to avoid overcharging the battery in order to avoid reducing its useful life.

Some info I've read suggests that the Bolt's battery is actually has a max capacity of 64kw (not just 60kw) and that "fully charging" the Bolt to will only charge it to about 95% but that activating the Hilltop Reserve will further reduce the max charge by about 6kw down to 54kw (or about 85% of 64kw, if that figure is correct, which is close to the 80% level that seems to be most commonly recommended for the max charge level.

See: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?274050-Does-Bolt-EV-have-a-battery-buffer-like-in-the-Volt
See also: http://www.plugincars.com/eight-tips-extend-battery-life-your-electric-car-107938.html
And lastly see: https://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/31/battery-lifetime-long-can-electric-vehicle-batteries-last/

gpsman said:
I always charge outdoors.
San Fransicso has not been above 60 degrees since I bought my Bolt.
I always use the included 120 volt EVSE.
I always charge at 12 amps.

The STUPID CHEVY cord has 18 gauge wire.
This is "lamp cord". (Designed for 100 watt to maybe 300 watt 3-way lamps.)

My cord OUTDOORS in the wind and rain (even at night) is getting warm to the touch.

WOULD IT HAVE KILLED YOU CHEVROLET TO SPEND 50 cents more on using 20 feet of 16 gauge cord???!

Look up any enginnering or electrician textbook.

18 gauge portable cords are rated for 10 amps!!!
16 gauge portable cords are rated for 13 amps.
14 gauge portable cords are rated for 18 amps.
12 gauge portable cords are rated for 25 amps.

* all under 50 feet in length - must upsize for longer runs of wire

DAMMIT CHEVY!!!!

Are you sure about the fact that it's only got 18-gauge wiring in it? And which part of the EVSE are you talking about, the short end that plugs into the wall, or the long cord with the J1772 plug/handle? Which part of the cord is getting warm? The whole length, or just where it plugs into the wall or car? And how long does it take for it to warm up?

The Chevy Bolt EV (and gen 2 Volt) chargers are made by Clipper Creek. Doubtful it is 18 gauge wire.

Some people hack together a 220v to 5-15 adapter (NOT ME for safety reasons) and the charger is reported to work consistently on 220v 12 amps as well.

devbolt said:
And which part of the EVSE are you talking about, the short end that plugs into the wall, or the long cord with the J1772 plug/handle? Which part of the cord is getting warm? The whole length, or just where it plugs into the wall or car? And how long does it take for it to warm up?

The long part.

It is stamped 18 AWG right on the cable.
Look for yourself.
:cry:

gpsman said:
devbolt said:
And which part of the EVSE are you talking about, the short end that plugs into the wall, or the long cord with the J1772 plug/handle? Which part of the cord is getting warm? The whole length, or just where it plugs into the wall or car? And how long does it take for it to warm up?

The long part.

It is stamped 18 AWG right on the cable.
Look for yourself.
:cry:

Look again at your cable. 1 of the conductors is 18 AWG, probably the wire that carries the pilot signal. The other 3 conductors are all 16 AWG.EVSE-wire-gauge-1.jpgEVSE-wire-gauge-2.jpgEVSE-wire-gauge-3.jpg

Well thats SLIGHTLY better.

Still a warm cord in open air outdoors = dangerous inside a hot garage or in direct sun.

It really should be 14 gauge, not 16, for 12A continuous draw as per NEC electrical code. Of course, equipment does not have to follow the NEC code. I agree that GM cheapened out here.

cosmacelf said:
It really should be 14 gauge, not 16, for 12A continuous draw as per NEC electrical code. Of course, equipment does not have to follow the NEC code. I agree that GM cheapened out here.

A wire additionally to wire size it's also rate by insulation max temperature. Since this wire is rated 90C (dry), it can safely handle up to 14 amps. This is not regular romex wire that can only handle 60C.

Do you have the excess portion of the cord coiled by chance? I have been 12Amp charging for a couple years now using a stock Chevy 110V EVSE and the only time the cord gets warm is if I leave it coiled. You won't have a problem with the section between the EVSE and the car. Keep an eye on the plug, if your outlet isn't good quality and newer. If that feels warm, replace the outlet, and use something better than the $0.69 outlets.

Thanks for this information. I'm a new Bolt owner and wasn't aware of the 8/12 amp setting. I called my local dealer about why my Bolt was charging more slowly than expected and they were no help. This setting was of course the reason. Thanks!

Back