California Lags in DC Fast-Charging Station Density for Electric Vehicles

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plugshare has realtime info on SOME vendors' networks (EVgo, Greenlots and SemaCharge, for example). You do have to look at each location to figure it out, however.

But one of ChargePoint's selling points is it's great network (and really nice app) - so they don't provide real-time avail info to PlugShare; you have to use their app. To give them credit, their app is pretty nice (but not perfect) - for example it shows you HOW MANY plugs are available (not in use) at a given location; it isn't just a colored teardrop on the map. I don't particularly like greenlots' or EVgo's web site (or smart app - WHEN they have one) - IMO plugshare is better than theirs.

And I suggest having the app (and an account) for any charging network you MIGHT use. The greenlots app can start charging without the RFID card, for example (as can the ChargePoint app).

I will second the notion that plugshare is great for FINDING possible charging locations - especially where you are (or will be), and especially non-networked ones (say, at hotels or car dealers). And even more important for traveling, plugshare has a "Home Charger" category, which are users that will make their personal home charger available if you ask nicely. A godsend if you are stuck in a rut and realize it early enough. Unfortunately, there is only one J-1772 and one 14-50 (240V plug) home tagged between Oregon and Vacaville, so not too useful for your brother's trip.

And a generic tip(s) about EV travelling. If your brother is planning on driving out-of-range (i.e., a charge is necessary to get back home):

(a) it should be planned. PlugShare and ChargePoint apps are really important, maybe greenlots as well. There should be backup and even terciary plans for when charger(s) just aren't available.

(b) backup/emergency charging, when all else fails can (may?) be "home chargers" and RV parks with 240V plugs. You often have to call ahead.

(c) If EV travel "out of civilized zones" (with lots of backup charging) is often done (several times a year, or more) a portable 240V EVSE ("charging cable") would be a very good investment, as would 14-50 and 14-30 plugs/converters for it. One must always make sure that the EVSE never pulls more than 80% of the rated circuit. If the plug type is 30 amp, with a 30 amp circuit breaker, a max of 24 amp should be pulled by the EVSE. 50 amp circuit: 40 amp EVSE. 40 amp circuit: 32 amp EVSE. 30 amp circuit: 24 amp EVSE. 20 amp circuit: 16 amp EVSE.

Oh, crap - I forgot (probably) the most important piece of news for your bro-in-law : several of the CEC-funded fast chargers along I-5 are supposed to go live any day now ("by October" was the claim). The 50 kW DCFC in Yreka just went live in the past month.

If he waits for a month before doing the trip, there may be additional 50 kW units available for a drive to SF - making the drive significantly more stress-free, and faster (more choices, fewer stops, and all of them 50 kW DCFCs so skipping the 24 kW ones).

WHEN the new DCFCs go live, they should immediately be visible in ChargePoint's app. Hopefully one will soon pop up in the area around/between Williams and Vacaville, making those 24 kW units people's "backup" chargers.

There are also DCFCs *supposed* to go in by EVgo and Electrify America (the latter in/near Dunnigan, the junction of I-5 and I-505 - and construction work is underway here for up to seven CCS/Combo fast charge plugs)

SparkE, thank you again for your in-depth comments. Yes, life will only get better as more and more DCFCs get installed. For example, the one in Mount Shasta (located very close to the new row of Tesla SuperChargers) looks to be complete and will hopefully be activated soon.

I had my brother-in-law buy a 120/240vac EVSE with adjustable current and made a number of adapters for him so he'll be covered for most of the popular charging outlets. Yes, I've emphasized the 80% of rated current rule to him.

Once again, I posted his email more as a commentary on a newbie's perspective and California's slowness in highway DCFC adoption, and should have done my homework before posting. I found it interesting that your analysis is exactly the same process many of us go through when setting off on a longer journey - just like an airplane or boat navigator would prepare before setting off, with multiple backup plans.

SparkE said:
Oh, crap - I forgot (probably) the most important piece of news for your bro-in-law : several of the CEC-funded fast chargers along I-5 are supposed to go live any day now ("by October" was the claim). The 50 kW DCFC in Yreka just went live in the past month.

If he waits for a month before doing the trip, there may be additional 50 kW units available for a drive to SF - making the drive significantly more stress-free, and faster (more choices, fewer stops, and all of them 50 kW DCFCs so skipping the 24 kW ones).

WHEN the new DCFCs go live, they should immediately be visible in ChargePoint's app. Hopefully one will soon pop up in the area around/between Williams and Vacaville, making those 24 kW units people's "backup" chargers.

There are also DCFCs *supposed* to go in by EVgo and Electrify America (the latter in/near Dunnigan, the junction of I-5 and I-505 - and construction work is underway here for up to seven CCS/Combo fast charge plugs)

ChargePoint (CP) hasn't (yet) opened any new 50 kW stations on I-5 "North" (except the afore-mentioned ones in Yreka, and the older one in Redding) and it's getting close to the end of Oct. (The Mt Shasta stations appears to be installed, but not turned on.) The route I mentioned earlier (Medford -> Redding -> Williams or Vacaville -> Richmond) is still valid, with only one stop at a 24 kW DCFC. Electrify America (EA) also hasn't yet opened their proposed location in Dunnigan, CA (near the junction of I-5 and I-505). Once the EA spot (or any other 50 kW station between Williams and Vacaville/Fairfield), your bro-in-law can do the trip pedal-to-the-metal (75+ mph) and not have to worry (except about getting a ticket).

On the other hand, driving north to Portland or WA has just gotten a LOT easier for bro-in-law, as EA has opened two locations on I-5 in OR this past week : Grant's Pass and Albany (not yet open). Both locations are supposed to have *at least* 4 CCS plugs (150+ kW) and will charge the Bolt at FULL POWER (which is 55 kW max). {The location in Vancouver, WA with 6 stalls isn't yet open to the public, but the H/W seems to be installed.) This is great news for any Bolt (or LEAF2) driver who want to drive up to WA or northern OR.

PS : A new double DCFC (two units, each one CCS/CHAdeMO) location has opened on I-5 "middle" (south of Sacramento & Stockton, near Los Baños, at the I-5/CA-33 junction).

SeanNelson said:
SparkE said:
SparkE said:
...EA has opened two locations on I-5 in OR this past week : Grant's Pass and Albany (not yet open).
What's the deal on using Electrify America chargers - are they yet another charging network that I'm going to have to sign up and get an RFID card for?

No, in fact they are required NOT to operate in this manner, per the dieselgate settlement. Any and all EA chargers will be operable with a simple credit card.

GetOffYourGas said:
SeanNelson said:
What's the deal on using Electrify America chargers - are they yet another charging network that I'm going to have to sign up and get an RFID card for?

No, in fact they are required NOT to operate in this manner, per the dieselgate settlement. Any and all EA chargers will be operable with a simple credit card.

Actually, they are required to NOT *require* operation in this manner, so that anybody mayuse a credit card. They may, however, have their own card (I think). Since there aren't any that have gone live within 300 miles of my house, I have no idea how they are going to operate.

SparkE said:
GetOffYourGas said:
SeanNelson said:

Actually, they are required to NOT *require* operation in this manner, so that anybody mayuse a credit card. They may, however, have their own card (I think). Since there aren't any that have gone live within 300 miles of my house, I have no idea how they are going to operate.

We are saying the same thing. Sean asked if he was going to have to sign up and get an RFID card to use EA. I said no, he will not be required to sign up for an account.

GetOffYourGas said:
SeanNelson said:

Thanks - do you know if credit card transactions will come at a price premium?

Initial pricing is the same for everyone. I think it may even be the same per-minute cost for the 50kW, 150kW, and 350kW chargers. The latter will certainly change in the future, I don't know about the former.

Many gas stations charge different prices for members and non-members. Many more charge different prices for cash versus credit.

Back