Center screen comes up blank

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedMichon

The infotainment screen on my month old Bolt has twice failed to start up now. The first time it responded in less than a minute after I restated the car a few times, but yesterday it was minutes before the "Bolt" startup screen appeared. Anyone familiar with this malfunction?

It's been reported many times here, in other Bolt forums and FB groups. It's a known bug. I've read it can occur when you put the car into drive (or reverse) before the infotainment screen has a chance to display. It's never happened to me (knock on wood), but then I always pause a second between start and driving.

Fortunately, the solution is simple: hold the power button and FF button for about 10 seconds. This forces an infotainment reboot. Alternatively, turn the car off a few minutes and then restart, which also initiates a reboot.

I had the same problem this morning. The center screen was blank, no radio, AC, I don't know what else. Came back on after about 3 or 4 miles. There was a notice in my driver screen that said something like "no connection".
I have had my Bolt for about 2 months and have 500 total miles on it.
Weather here has been 100+ for the last few days. I wonder if this is related to the problem I read about in the early Volts in hot weather.
Dave
(PS What is the FF button?)

I am sure that some people who see a blank center screen are experiencing a computer glitch. But there is another explanation that applies in certain instances. When I start the car in my garage, the car's automatic headlights come on because the car thinks it is dark, even though it is sunny outside. When the headlights are on, both screens (the IP and the center screen) dim so much it looks like they are blank. By the time I get to the end of the driveway, the car has realized that it's daytime and the headlights go off and the two screens brighten. No computer glitch here, just inadequate software design. It's annoying because the backup camera is briefly useless, at a time when I am backing up.

Perfesser said:
I am sure that some people who see a blank center screen are experiencing a computer glitch. But there is another explanation that applies in certain instances. When I start the car in my garage, the car's automatic headlights come on because the car thinks it is dark, even though it is sunny outside. When the headlights are on, both screens (the IP and the center screen) dim so much it looks like they are blank. By the time I get to the end of the driveway, the car has realized that it's daytime and the headlights go off and the two screens brighten. No computer glitch here, just inadequate software design. It's annoying because the backup camera is briefly useless, at a time when I am backing up.

The "glitch" is almost certainly attempting to shift before the car has completely turned "on". I've been guilty of this once or twice, especially when in a hurry.

"Inadequate software design" - What you described is not only intended, but it shows this function is working properly. It may be sunny outside, but inside you garage it's probably a lot darker. Since it's dark, the headlights will come on and interior lights will dim. It will take a second or two to return to "daylight" mode after you leave the garage.

Back