Charge port location recommendation

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evdriver

I always used to back into parking spots, before I bought a LEAF. Now I have to pull in everywhere to charge since the port is at the front (which is way better than one specific side).

Now with the Rav4 EV, the charger is on the side and it is inconvenient when using dual head chargers with short-ish cords located between two parking spots.

When will EV makers start putting 2 charge ports? They could add one to the front center, and one to the rear center. It's mainly just some extra cable and a plug-in which shouldn't add too much to the cost, and add to the convenience of it.
Or, I guess, perhaps they'll wait until wireless charging is mainstream!?

I drive a volt, so with the charging plug near the driver door I usually can back in or pull in forwards if the charging cord is long enough. Interestingly enough the plug in prius and the tesla have their plugs near the back of the car. Manufacturers seem to be all over the map.

Interesting idea to have 2 charge ports - I'm not sure what the cost would be. For vehicles that have a door that pops open from the inside (like a gas port on an ICE or like the LEAF) then you'd need to pop-levers inside the vehicle? Or an extra button on the FOB?

Could get confusing or complicated...

Maybe everything will be wireless charging soon and won't matter which way you pull in... the roads will all be charging your vehicles :lol:

lukestuke said:
Interesting idea to have 2 charge ports - I'm not sure what the cost would be. For vehicles that have a door that pops open from the inside (like a gas port on an ICE or like the LEAF) then you'd need to pop-levers inside the vehicle? Or an extra button on the FOB?

Could get confusing or complicated...

Maybe everything will be wireless charging soon and won't matter which way you pull in... the roads will all be charging your vehicles :lol:

2 charging ports seems silly to me.

Wireless charging already exists, for your garage or driveway http://pluglesspower.com

But charging while rolling doesn't make sense. You would use up far more for locomotion than you can transmit/receive wirelessly. For example, in a Volt I can charge in 4 hours, then drive about 40 miles and use up the battery. If I drive 40 MPH, it would take an hour to drain. Even the mileage king Ari C (See GM-Volt forum) once drove 20MPH for 4 hours to achieve 80 MPG, you wouldn't want to drive 20 mph all the time. So to drive down the highway at 60MPH, you'd want to be able to charge the batteries at a rate of 60 miles of range per hour.

My car has no problem with the charge port where it is, of course, being as long as a kitchen table might have something to do with it...

images

But yes, not sure why the charge port isn't on passenger side for all EV's, as this allows curb side parking charging for just one case.

Passenger side in right-hand-drive countries makes sense to me.

I guess the convenience factor of the driver's side is nice while in your own garage - you don't have to walk to the other side to unplug it.

Since there is no common standard, that's why people are starting to carry around heavy duty J1772 extension cords when traveling to unfamiliar charging stations

SmartElectric said:
My car has no problem with the charge port where it is, of course, being as long as a kitchen table might have something to do with it...

images

But yes, not sure why the charge port isn't on passenger side for all EV's, as this allows curb side parking charging for just one case.

That's a really cute car you've got there. But Bolt EV is much much bigger.

Rivu said:
SmartElectric said:

We also own a Tesla Model S. The charge port location at drivers rear has been no issue at any of dozens of L2 charging locations I've visited. It's also perfect for my garage, as the Tesla is on the left, with driver side charge port, and Smart ED is on the right with passenger side charge port. :D

SmartElectric said:
Rivu said:
SmartElectric said:

We also own a Tesla Model S. The charge port location at drivers rear has been no issue at any of dozens of L2 charging locations I've visited. It's also perfect for my garage, as the Tesla is on the left, with driver side charge port, and Smart ED is on the right with passenger side charge port. :D

That's good to hear. The Bolt EV won't be much different than Tesla Model S to have a problem for the charge port, then! :)

Back