Has anybody tried these 'portable' EVSEs ??

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't actually much hardware inside an EVSE, so they should be quite reliable. I just can't see that there is much to go wrong in there.

Has anyone ever had an actual problem with an EVSE [other than a) it died, or b) it won't charge a specific car] ?

Why would having an EVSE die not be a problem??? I just had my Clipper Creek L-1 bite the dust, after several years.

I don't believe that he was implying a dead EVSE is not a problem. Just that it isn't a specific problem.

I actually had a mechanical issue with the plastic connector that makes contact with the car. In my 240V/15A Voltec unit, that piece is attached to the handle with a single screw. It got stuck in my CMax's charge port. The only way I could remove it was by brute force. Fortunately the resulting damage was to the EVSE and not the car! I ended up buying a second Voltec unit on eBay and replacing the whole cord/connector. Now I have a spare circuit card (which I have also heard reports of failing) and housing assembly should I ever need them.

Some of the original EV project Blink units had bad crimps in the J1772 connector. These crimps overheated and destroyed both the plug and input to the car.

Does anyone know what the quiescent (i.e. not connected to Bolt) current drain of the GM supplied EVSE is if left plugged in to either a 110 or 220 volt supply?

Repeatedly inserting and unplugging has me concerned about mechanical wear on the outlet. However, unnecessary drains are also a factor.

I am debating whether to add a double-pole switch to any potential 220 volt circuit at the outlet.

trevmar said:
Does anyone know what the quiescent (i.e. not connected to Bolt) current drain of the GM supplied EVSE is if left plugged in to either a 110 or 220 volt supply?

Repeatedly inserting and unplugging has me concerned about mechanical wear on the outlet. However, unnecessary drains are also a factor.

I am debating whether to add a double-pole switch to any potential 220 volt circuit at the outlet.

If you are concerned, but or make a 2-foot, 12-gauge 'pigtail' that you leave plugged into the wall socket, and plug into *it*. When it 'wears out', buy/make another one (for $20).

SparkE said:
trevmar said:

If you are concerned, but or make a 2-foot, 12-gauge 'pigtail' that you leave plugged into the wall socket, and plug into *it*. When it 'wears out', buy/make another one (for $20).

The Aerovironment Turbo Cord draws 2 Watt on standby, 4 while operating. I would think this is representative and not worth bothering plugging/unplugging (0.05 kWh/day )

Most people have fixed EVSE units and don't bother disconnecting while not in use.

trevmar said:

Yes, see this post... 1.54 W
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6773#p22129

Back