Is foam in hatch well related to rear-end impact safety?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmatero

Dear Chevrolet:
Noticed a lot of folks on here discussing removing the block of foam that fills the well in the hatch to get more storage space. That foam looks very similar to what you often find behind bumper covers. Is the foam designed to absorb energy in a rear or side impact or can it be safely removed?

I doubt it. Here's the energy/impact bar that's under the rear bumper :)

Attachments

• 20170127_154500.jpg
    20170127_154500.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 5,570
I don't think I'd put much faith in foam to absorb an impact from a car. I'd think it was more likely for sound proofing, although I'm just guessing.

I only mentioned it because I've owned several German cars in recent years with similar foam in the wells with labels stating they shouldn't be removed as they were part of the rear crumple zone architecture.

jmatero said:
Dear Chevrolet:
Noticed a lot of folks on here discussing removing the block of foam that fills the well in the hatch to get more storage space. That foam looks very similar to what you often find behind bumper covers. Is the foam designed to absorb energy in a rear or side impact or can it be safely removed?

Hi jmatero,

We are truly sorry for the delayed follow up on this. We wanted to connect with our internal contacts and additional teams to ensure that the information we're providing is correct! Please know that this foam block is not a structural safety component.

Let us know if you have additional questions,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back