Minimum connections to use phone, charge it, and play Android Auto?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedMichon

I was quite used to having my Galaxy Note 4 automatically connect to my Prius via Bluetooth when i got in the car.

I was told the Bolt could do this too, but reality (the car dealer says) is that I have to make a wired USB data connection as well for Android Auto to work, which means I have to plug the phone in and cannot leave it in my shirt pocket and keep leaving it in the car. (I understand that the car connection will keep my phone charged, which is a plus). What good is wireless Bluetooth if you have to make a wired connection anyway?

That's a Google specification on this model unfortunately. Probably not enough bandwidth on the 802.15 implementation or something.

It's obnoxious too since you cannot connect any other smart device while the phone hogs both the USB and Bluetooth connections while using AA.

You only need to have it physically connected if you want to use Android Auto or Apple's CarPlay.

This is the way AA and CarPlay work - they need to be connected via USB. There are new protocols that allow for them to connect via Bluetooth, but AFAIK only one car manufacturer supports it, along with a handful of third party units.

The hope is, with the Bolt being new, it could add wireless AA and CarPlay with a future update. I don't think it's very likely, but the possibility exists.

Back