Parking Brake/E-Brake turned on momentarily when ambulance passed

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Oddest thing happened. My husband was driving, and all traffic had stopped as an ambulance was approaching. I happened to be looking at the digital display, and suddenly the e-brake engaged. My husband's hands were not near the brake switch. The brake disengaged quickly as well, it was only on for a second or so, exactly as the ambulance approached and then passed us.

I don't know if the ambulance thing was a coincidence - I'm pretty sure I've passed emergency vehicles since owning this car. We both notices the action of the brake - that feeling it does as though it sort of lifts up the car. However, my husband thought that someone had bumped us, so he was looking behind and didn't see the e-brake light. No one had bumped us; it was the brake.

Any explanations?

The only other odd thing we have going on is the two days ago the tire pressure indicator light switched on for the rear passenger tire, and it is reading the tire at a normal pressure.

We're taking it in to the dealer tomorrow, but I'd love to hear people's thoughts and experiences.

Thanks! K

If you are stopped on a hill (even if it's not much of a hill) in L and forget to put your foot on the brake, the e-brake comes on

My e-brake has automatically engaged a few times while stopped in L mode, mostly when the car creeped forward a bit.
A tap on the accelerator and it disengages quickly.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like "hill assist".

Living in the SF Bay Area, it's a darn nice feature!

Actually it's probably more likely you didn't put your foot on the brake. Easy to do since we have L mode and the paddle. Make it a habit to use the brake (even though you don't need it) at a stop, basically to tell the car "I'm stopped at a light or something, don't put the emergency brake on for me". AFAIK hilltop assist doesn't use the brake, at least in my experience. I believe that feature uses just the motor (it's likely just a software feature, if it detects a hill it puts some low current on the motor to lock it down until you indicate you want to move).

Happened to me for the first time this morning, pulling into my parking space at work. Was in L (getting used to it fast) and not touching brake. Was surprised at first, then remembered this thread. Not used to a car that can act on its own.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Happened to me for the first time this morning, pulling into my parking space at work. Was in L (getting used to it fast) and not touching brake. Was surprised at first, then remembered this thread. Not used to a car that can act on its own.

Speaking of parking, if you press the park button and you haven't had your foot on the brake for "long enough" it will throw on the brake as well

Back