Recording from the built in cameras as "dashcams"

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBen

I was looking into dashcams, but it seems a shame to clutter things up adding more cameras to a car that already has plenty of great cameras. I know lots of Bolts have been sold in Silicon Valley. Any of you technical minded folks have any thoughts on if it would be feasible to hack into and record the feeds that continuously go to my rear view mirror, as well as the front camera feeds that currently only display when under 5 mph but maybe could be made to send signals at all speeds?

I wish this function was available. The Bolt's windshield (with the huge rear view mirror footprint) makes any dash cam intrude into the viewing space on either side of the mirror.

It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult, given how all that video ends up on the infotainment screen. I'd expect something like this as an option from Chevy on future Bolts. All that's needed is an SD card writer/reader built into the dashboard.

I think that would be a great feature that GM could easily add into the Bolt. I think it would be a nice selling feature as well. I already have a dash cam and will install it once my Bolt arrives but having one built in would be the cats ass. With all the great ideas coming from the various Bolt forums, we're all going to need to trade in our 2017 Bolt's for the 2019/2020's lol. :D

Sure seems a shame that it doesn't record the last images before an airbag deployment. Wouldn't you think insurance people would be on top of adding a feature like that. Considering how dumb-downed the manual is, maybe it has that feature and we don't know about it :eek:.

Back