Squealing car going to the dealer today

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbolt

The car was making a loud squealing noise.
My wife said it felt like the brakes were dragging. They will check the car this morning, and the dealer said somebody else just had this similar sounding issue.
We'll also take care of the heat error light and some black plastic piece chipped off of some part of the charging apparatus or cable? I never learned where it came from.

A little more detail would be helpful:
  1. When does it happen - starting, stopping at a certain speed only when brakes applied?
  2. Is the sound accompanied by any pedal or steering wheel feedback
  3. Does it happen when turning, decelerating, hard braking, etc.
The more info we have the better....

Edit: Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

Dan

Since my wife drive's it, I cannot give much more detail. But it is now at the dealership and they gave her a loaner, since they don't know how long it will take.
Apparently, its very loud when she drives it, since yesterday. She stopped driving it and used our old hybrid because of the noise. She said it felt like it was trying to brake.

Squealing was due to a rock. They are discussing a fix to prevent rocks from getting caught in the first place.
They are still investigating the heating light, may be related to the fogging and other electronic issues, notably they saw extreme temperature spikes, so something is not reading correctly.

The rock got caught next to the wheel. I don't know the specifics, but the dealership found it and was a challenge removing it. They said they are consulting with Chevy to prevent this from happening, trapping the rock, rather than either blocking it or allowing it to fall out..

Well at least they found it and are being proactive with GM.

Didn't know the Bolt was meant for "off-roading" :)

Was the rim damaged? If it was grinding against a rock, I would assume it would scratch/gouge it?

Usually this occurs when a rock gets between the brake rotor and brake dust shield on car.

Here's a random pic of a brake rotor - you can see the shield (black) immediately behind it peeking out of the top:

TundraBrake023.jpg

morbolt said:
The car was making a loud squealing noise.
My wife said it felt like the brakes were dragging. They will check the car this morning, and the dealer said somebody else just had this similar sounding issue.

I believe this exact same thing happened to me (I didn't contact a dealer, so that makes three reports).

The noise happened once with each revolution of the right front wheel. It was loud: people on the sidewalk were turning to look at what was wrong with the car.

It sounded like perhaps the brakes were loudly rubbing on the rotor, although the noise didn't get worse or better when actually using the brake pedal (pressing hard) or toggling the parking brake. It did get temporarily louder when turning right, and temporarily quieter when turning left. The noise didn't happen at all in reverse.

I was going to contact the dealer, but after about 3 miles of driving home with the horrible noise, it suddenly went away completely. I've driven it 200 miles since with no sign of the noise.

They removed the rock that was causing the problem, but they had to remove the wheel to do that. Apparently another bolt came in with a hard leaf making a similar, but not as loud a noise, but they could easily pull that out directly.

Back