Volt for Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin1629

We are retired people in Florida and have a 1912 Volt (loaded) with 17000 miles, it is in showroom condition (carnauba wax) never left in the sun, kept in a carpeted garage, used less than one gallon of gas in 5 years (keep fresh gas in the car and syphon it out when needed for lawn equip.) Oil is showing 98% good. As we don't use the engine in the Volt we would like to work a trade for a Bolt Premier. [email protected]

If you never needed more than the 40 or so electric miles that the Volt provided, why spend extra money on a Bolt? You'll never need the extra range.

Look at, for example, a Focus Electric. They are practically giving them away. The new ones have 100+ mile range, and even the old ones go much farther on electricity than the Volt.

martin1629 said:
We are retired people in Florida and have a 1912 Volt (loaded)

Yes, the 1912 Volts were nice, but I'd have gone with this model instead:

http://owlshead.org/collections/detail/1912-woods-electric-brougham

Sweet ride, and it had nearly 3 times the electric range of the early Volt. Not much pickup, but with the traffic on the I-5 these days...

Why would you want to change the car from one that (apparently) exactly meets your needs? Why not just keep the Volt and put another 17,000 miles on it over the next 5 years?

Some day we may have to go the places like the airport over 120mile and the engine and the weight in the volt complicates the car very much. Also we are charging the car with home built solar panels and we need more battery capacity.

It's a 2012 Volt (oops) and to answer several question: Some day we may have to go the places like the airport over 120mile and the engine and the weight in the volt complicates the car very much, were hauling the engine around for nothing. Also we are charging the car with home built solar panels and we need more battery capacity.

Don't select a car for what "someday I might want to do". Select it for what works for you 99% of the time. Or for what makes you happy.

Someday you might want to buy a sheet of plywood. That's not reason to buy a pick up truck. Some day you might want to drive off road. That's not reason to buy a 4 wheel drive.

I agree with the suggestion that you keep what has served you well. If you want a new car (and that's fine...you're totally entitled to want a new car) consider an 80 or 100 mile class EV with more than twice the range that's already served you just fine. You can get one for maybe half the cost of a Bolt.

But on the other hand, if you want a Bolt because it's really cool and state-of-the-art, that's totally fine in my book too. If you can afford it, sure why not? I managed fine for three years on an 80 mile car, but I'm getting a Bolt because I want to have one!

But...you introduced yourself as "retired". This makes me, at least, assume you are trying to be frugal. That's why the alternate suggestions.

But if you want a Bolt because you want one, go for it!

We are attempting to keep the Volt 100% electric and charging with our home built solar voltaic sys. So far so good, trip over 50 mile are picked up by our friends with their gas cars. With a Bolt this would no longer be the case and in fact the Bolt would be the car of choice. Thanks for all the helpful advice (your dealing with old people here)

Back