Bolt EV Canadian Pricing - $42,795 CAD - options and rebate info too

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ssspinball said:
Whenever people talk about keeping cars for many years they tend to ignore things like safety advancements. Sorry to be morbid, but what good is money in the bank when you're dead from a car accident?
I've been driving for well over 40 years in cars with extremely primitive safety features (they were called "seat belts") and am still alive to talk about it. IMHO a person's driving habits trump safety features in terms of likelihood of getting killed. There are a few outliers, but in the grand scheme of things you're a lot less likely to die if you're a defensive driver in a poorly equipped car than if you're an aggressive driver in a car with all the bells and whistles.

Now that opinion will not stop me from getting all the bells and whistles. But I think it's important to put them into perspective.

SeanNelson said:
ssspinball said:
Whenever people talk about keeping cars for many years they tend to ignore things like safety advancements. Sorry to be morbid, but what good is money in the bank when you're dead from a car accident?
I've been driving for well over 40 years in cars with extremely primitive safety features (they were called "seat belts") and am still alive to talk about it. IMHO a person's driving habits trump safety features in terms of likelihood of getting killed. There are a few outliers, but in the grand scheme of things you're a lot less likely to die if you're a defensive driver in a poorly equipped car than if you're an aggressive driver in a car with all the bells and whistles.

Now that opinion will not stop me from getting all the bells and whistles. But I think it's important to put them into perspective.

Agreed. I drive a 13-year-old car. I am looking to replace it, but not because it's unsafe. The only modern safety features it lacks are the electronic gizmos that have appeared in the last few years, some of them of unproven value.

roundpeg said:
Agreed. I drive a 13-year-old car. I am looking to replace it, but not because it's unsafe. The only modern safety features it lacks are the electronic gizmos that have appeared in the last few years, some of them of unproven value.

I sold my 2004 Audi, not because it was unsafe, but because the maintenance cost was death by 1,000 paper cuts. Now that I've stopped the bleeding, I really do hope my EV is as maintenance free and reliable as advertised. Here's to 10-years & 100K (near) zero-maintenance miles. Time will tell.

My point was never about driving a car that's dangerous to be on the road...only that it doesn't make financial sense to buy a new car regardless of your income.

SeanNelson said:

100% agree that defensive driving is the best way to reduce your risk, but there's absolutely nothing you can do when someone runs a red light and T-bones you in an intersection. That's where modern safety features really help.

ssspinball said:
100% agree that defensive driving is the best way to reduce your risk, but there's absolutely nothing you can do when someone runs a red light and T-bones you in an intersection. That's where modern safety features really help.

You mean, like side-curtain airbags? Most cars have had those for 15 years or more.

I keep my vehicles for a long time the safety features work fine for the duration I have it

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.seeker.com/chevys-new-bolt-is-a-tesla-for-the-rest-of-us-2075720499.amp.html?client=ms-android-google

This was on my news app today it starts off with saying the least amount to pay for a Tesla is 70,000. But I thought the model S was going to be priced close to the Chevy Bolt. Why does the Bolt have to compare to Tesla? Why can't it be a great EV in its own right and not how it compares to Tesla?

Aidan said:
Why does the Bolt have to compare to Tesla? Why can't it be a great EV in its own right and not how it compares to Tesla?
Because the Bolt and the not-yet-available Tesla Model 3 will be the only two EVS that can go over 200 miles and still have a relatively affordable price tag in the low to mid $30,000s. Like it or not, range and price are the two biggest factors in most people's minds when choosing an EV. So even though they are very different body styles they will inevitably be compared, if for no other reason than to contrast how the two auto makers have approached the challenging task of producing a vehicle with those kinds of specs.

SeanNelson said:
Aidan said:
Why does the Bolt have to compare to Tesla? Why can't it be a great EV in its own right and not how it compares to Tesla?
Because the Bolt and the not-yet-available Tesla Model 3 will be the only two EVS that can go over 200 miles and still have a relatively affordable price tag in the low to mid $30,000s. Like it or not, range and price are the two biggest factors in most people's minds when choosing an EV. So even though they are very different body styles they will inevitably be compared, if for no other reason than to contrast how the two auto makers have approached the challenging task of producing a vehicle with those kinds of specs.

Yup good point. You're right

wrcfocus said:
Has anyone been able to pre-order the Bolt in Ontario?

Bigger question - have any Americans pre-ordered the Bolt from Ontario, and exported them into the USA? As of today, CAD$42,795 = USD$31,720.

Back