Front License Plate?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MichaelLAX said:
Forman said:
I told the sales man 3 or 4 time not to install front plate. They did it. Said it was a mix up. Then I posted on forums and everyone's like it's California and it's the law. Right. I have not had front plates in 40 years and had 2 fix it tickets.
Just curious: how did you have plates at the time of purchase?

I believe California law has a 6 month grace period.

I am in my 8th month, about to be 9th month, without plates mounted; with my old Volt vanity plates in the trunk!

I should have said plate holder. Plates too a few weeks getting to me.

Forman said:
MichaelLAX said:
Forman said:
I told the sales man 3 or 4 time not to install front plate. They did it. Said it was a mix up. Then I posted on forums and everyone's like it's California and it's the law. Right. I have not had front plates in 40 years and had 2 fix it tickets.
Just curious: how did you have plates at the time of purchase?

I believe California law has a 6 month grace period. [correction: 90 day grace period]

I am in my 8th month, about to be 9th month, without plates mounted; with my old Volt vanity plates in the trunk!

I should have said plate holder. Plates too a few weeks getting to me.
i'm with you! I would have been furious if they had installed mine, too!

oftheseven said:
Anyone know what kind of torx or other bit screw will fit this?

None.

Looks like a type of "pop-in" fastener used on various parts that are intended to be permanently installed and not ordinarily removed.

sgt1372 said:
oftheseven said:

None.

Looks like a type of "pop-in" fastener used on various parts that are intended to be permanently installed and not ordinarily removed.

Hmm, that's not good. I want to remove this from my front bumper :x

sgt1372 said:
oftheseven said:

None.

Yeah, they're cherry rivets. Mine came uninstalled in a bag.

oftheseven said:
sgt1372 said:
oftheseven said:

None.

Hmm, that's not good. I want to remove this from my front bumper :x

Should be easy to cut/knock/pull off but you'll have to buy new ones if you want to reinstall whatever they are used to fasten.

oftheseven said:
sgt1372 said:
oftheseven said:
None. Looks like a type of "pop-in" fastener used on various parts that are intended to be permanently installed and not ordinarily removed.
Hmm, that's not good. I want to remove this from my front bumper
:x
If push comes to shove you can always drill them out and then replace them with an appropriately sized screw.

Should be easy to cut/knock/pull off but you'll have to buy new ones if you want to reinstall whatever they are used to fasten.

Removing rivets is easy once you have removed a few hundred. Please don't ask me why I am so proficient :).

So if you know the size of the opening, use a drill just slightly smaller than the hole. This is a precaution in the event you actually do drill out the rivet.

Start the drill dead center. In some cases this is done by punching a divet into the rivet head with a spring punch. Start with a small burst to seat the drill.

Drill into the head of the rivet until it starts to loosen, then wiggle the drill until the head of the rivet falls out. In some cases, use a punch to wiggle the head off. Note that the drill never enters the hole if you do this correctly.

Now use a spring punch to punch out the remaining rivet.

I know, more info than anyone wanted to know:)

JAL1 said:

Removing rivets is easy once you have removed a few hundred. Please don't ask me why I am so proficient :).

So if you know the size of the opening, use a drill just slightly smaller than the hole. This is a precaution in the event you actually do drill out the rivet.

Start the drill dead center. In some cases this is done by punching a divet into the rivet head with a spring punch. Start with a small burst to seat the drill.

Drill into the head of the rivet until it starts to loosen, then wiggle the drill until the head of the rivet falls out. In some cases, use a punch to wiggle the head off. Note that the drill never enters the hole if you do this correctly.

Now use a spring punch to punch out the remaining rivet.

I know, more info than anyone wanted to know:)

Thanks for the (detailed) info.
I was able to use a couple different size drill bits and drill out the head and pliers to break them off cleanly. Pushed in the remaining rivet pieces...success.

Thanks for the (detailed) info.
I was able to use a couple different size drill bits and drill out the head and pliers to break them off cleanly. Pushed in the remaining rivet pieces...success.

Glad to hear that!

Jeff

So the rivets need to be drilled out. After removing the front license plate holder, what does the area underneith look like? Is it blemished, or does it look good?

Back