Hum/Whine noise driverside front under hood

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurL

Never heard this before. Wife was leaving and put Bolt in gear. Heard a semi loud hum/whine noise. Backed out of garage, not as loud but still there. Drove a bit still there. This stuff always happens on the weekend right?

No smell. No lights or signs of issues. Seems normal except for the whine. I'll take it in Monday but has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Are you sure it wasn't the pedestrian safety signal/noise?

Starts when put in gear and continues up to about 14 mph. Definitely more noticeable when outside the car and you said your wife was backing it out.....

pg 105 of the users manual
Pedestrian Safety Signal
The vehicle is equipped with
automatic sound generation.
The automatic sound is generated
to indicate the vehicle presence to
pedestrians. The sound changes if
the vehicle is speeding up or
slowing down. It is activated when
the vehicle is shifted into a forward
gear or R (Reverse), up to 23 km/h
(14 mph).

Some find it very annoying and there is a thread about disabling it.

DucRider said:
Are you sure it wasn't the pedestrian safety signal/noise?
Yeah, from the OP's description it really seems as if that's the likely cause. I know how those "was it really like that before?" things go - you can't believe it was really like that all along. But it's often the case, nonetheless.

U da man DucRider.

User Manual page 266, pedestrian friendly alert function, Fuse 34, 7.5 amp. Pull fuse noise stops. It had never made that sound before today. Wife and I both perked up as soon as she put it in gear...what the heck is that hum/whine/screech? So wonder why it didn't make the noise the first 1300 km? Believe me...neither of us had heard it before today. It's not a sound you can overlook.

Thanks for the help.

Btw...it's just not when it's in a moving gear...R...D....L....even in neutral it makes the noise.

I say replace the noise generator with a recording of "Mr T" saying, "I'm gonna get you sucka". Or maybe Arnold saying "I'll be back".

Hmmm, I wonder if there is an aftermarket opportunity for EV backup sounds, just like ring tones?

I'm thinking ice cream truck music. Everyone would turn and look....'celt maybe for the kids that run toward the music....

ArthurL said:
Pull fuse noise stops. It had never made that sound before today. Wife and I both perked up as soon as she put it in gear...what the heck is that hum/whine/screech? So wonder why it didn't make the noise the first 1300 km?
I can't speak for the Bolt but my Prius C has a pedestrian noisemaker and I never hear it if I'm in the car with the windows rolled up, even if I'm in the garage where the sound reflects back towards the car. But if I have a window down it's pretty obvious.

I like that "I'll be back" for a Reverse. That would be so cool!
For the forward sound: "Out of the way, you assassin!" from Dumbo.

Let's put that sound maker to real use. When I put the Bolt in Sport mode and floor the accelerator to the floor I want her to do the Road Runner "meep" "meep".

Back