Initial impressions from a past Leaf owner

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dndrich said:
Yes, they offered a good buyout. But, I was interested in newer technology like the Bolt. So, I passed.

Yup. Which is why prices for used, lower-mileage (<25,000) 3-year0old LEAF lease returns are now dropping to $7000 and lower around SF. Lots and LOTS of lease returns have hit the market in the past 3 months.

I sold my 2015 leaf with about 12k miles on it for 23k last month (I am in Canada)

I am car less now until I can buy a bolt

In the San Francisco Bay Area, 3-year-old LEAFs with < 25000 miles start just a tad under USD$7000. "Some" up to $8000, and "a bunch" under $9000 - including some SL and SV models.

Hope these two links work ....

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&formSourceTag=108&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=ADVANCED&zip=95051&distance=75&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B0%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B1%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B2%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B3%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B4%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B5%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B6%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B7%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B8%5D.selectedEntity=&advancedSearchAutoEntities%5B9%5D.selectedEntity=&startYear=&endYear=&__multiselect_bodyTypeGroupIds=&fuelTypes=1&__multiselect_fuelTypes=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minMileage=&maxMileage=24999&transmission=ANY&__multiselect_installedOptionIds=&modelChanged=undefined&filtersModified=true&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined

http://www.autoblog.com/used-list/make1-Nissan/location-95051/mileage-min-24999/fuel-Electric/vcond-Used,CPO/sort-1

dndrich said:
OK, I looked this over. Nothing on I5, but plenty of 50 kWh charging on 99. So one could go that way. Interesting.
In my case, US-101 is better and it also has DC chargers includes a few at 50 kW.

Yeah, CA-99 is for EVgo subs, and US-101 is about the only choice for ChargePoint users (there's EVgo on US-101 as well).

The only (currently working) 50 kW spot for ChargePoint subs is N of Santa Barbara, at Santa Ynez Marriot in Buellton (at least there are two units). It'd be nice to get another pair of (ChargePoint) 50 kW chargers around King City - that'd be great for the SF Bay Area/L.A. route on US-101.

SparkE said:
Yeah, CA-99 is for EVgo subs, and US-101 is about the only choice for ChargePoint users (there's EVgo on US-101 as well).

The only (currently working) 50 kW spot for ChargePoint subs is N of Santa Barbara, at Santa Ynez Marriot in Buellton (at least there are two units). It'd be nice to get another pair of (ChargePoint) 50 kW chargers around King City - that'd be great for the SF Bay Area/L.A. route on US-101.

Is ChargePoint limiting sessions to 30 minutes?

We have no ChargePoint CCS in Oregon that I'm aware of. We have some EVgo (WalMart appears to be replacing their Blink CHAdeMO units) and a couple of OPconnect (local outfit) but so far that's it for CCS.

The West Coast Electric Highway project that put in most of the fast chargers along the major routes used Aerovironment and they are all CHAdeMO).

stevewa said:
Is ChargePoint limiting sessions to 30 minutes?

We have no ChargePoint CCS in Oregon that I'm aware of. We have some EVgo (WalMart appears to be replacing their Blink CHAdeMO units) and a couple of OPconnect (local outfit) but so far that's it for CCS.

The West Coast Electric Highway project that put in most of the fast chargers along the major routes used Aerovironment and they are all CHAdeMO).

There is no limit that I know of on CP fast chargers - I have never encountered one.

There *are* ChargePoint CCS fast chargers in Oregon, but they seem to all be the 24 kW type, and only on the I-5 corridor: the Fred Meyers in Medford, Grants Pass, Roseburg, Albany; Canyonville; Cottage Grove (a Chevron station); Red Lion hotel in Salem; 3 or 4 around Portland.

Besides a few OpConnect chargers in Salem & Portland and the few EVgo chargers in Portland (and the aforementioned 24 kW CCS ChargePoint DCFCs) - there doesn't seem to be much in the way of CCS fast chargers in OR.

...there doesn't seem to be much in the way of CCS fast chargers in OR.
Oregon has only a few medium-speed chargers along I-5, but Washington is pitiful - no CCS for ~150 miles between Longview and Tacoma.

EldRick said:
Oregon has only a few medium-speed chargers along I-5, but Washington is pitiful - no CCS for ~150 miles between Longview and Tacoma.
That's a big problem for shorter-range cars like the Leaf but it's a lot less of a bother with the Bolt EV.

SeanNelson said:
EldRick said:
That's a big problem for shorter-range cars like the Leaf but it's a lot less of a bother with the Bolt EV.

If I want to drive from SF to Canada on I-5, the LAST 50 kW charger in CA is at Vacaville (I-80 & I-505), then the next one is in Salem (530 miles later), then there are a few in Portland. Ouch!!

And it looks as if one intends to drive from OR to north WA one had better subscribe to EVgo, as they are the only viable CCS network for long distance driving in the area (50 kW, I mean).

SparkE said:
SeanNelson said:
EldRick said:
If I want to drive from SF to Canada on I-5, the LAST 50 kW charger in CA is at Vacaville (I-80 & I-505), then the next one is in Salem (530 miles later), then there are a few in Portland. Ouch!!
Oh yeah, I agree that the stretch of "slow" DCFCs in Oregon and northern California is a bear. I really hope they'll be upgraded soon. But at least you can get from point A to point B on them.

Back