No navigation?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EldRick said:
How large of an area can one store? Can I, for example, store the entire northeast region of the US?

Do some research. Install Google Maps, if you can. Play with it and/or check the docs to see if it will do what you want.

In other words, you have no idea. Fair enough. Just figured I'd ask if anyone already knows. It's easier for us to share information than for every individual to go out and learn the same things for themselves. That's part of what sets the human race apart from the animals.

GetOffYourGas said:
EldRick said:
How large of an area can one store? Can I, for example, store the entire northeast region of the US?

Do some research. Install Google Maps, if you can. Play with it and/or check the docs to see if it will do what you want.

In other words, you have no idea. Fair enough. Just figured I'd ask if anyone already knows. It's easier for us to share information than for every individual to go out and learn the same things for themselves. That's part of what sets the human race apart from the animals.

I beg to differ about us being set apart from animals. Given how the human race is these days, I'd give more credit to the animals.

Some NAV systems allow you to download the entire US or other maps as well...it depends on the system's capacity.

I have a Windows Phone which is limited in connectivity but I am able to download maps from all over the world in my mapping app and it's limited by how large my SD card is.

JupiterMoon said:
I believe it does. But unlike my Spark EV, it only comes with OnStar for 3 months then you pay. It's NOT worth paying for it.
So I observed that with the MyChevrolet app, you can enter a destination address to send to the car, and the car starts the turn-by-turn directions. No need to interact with an OnStar representative. Are you saying that functionality depends on having an OnStar contract and will end after the 3 month trial?

BTW, when I activated the 3 month Onstar trial, I was offered an extension to a 6 month free trial if I signed up immediately for a subsequent plan. And no cancellation fee for that plan, so you could get 6 months free and then cancel. That's a no-cost option for anyone who is willing to pay attention to cancelling on time.

Cheers, Wayne

What the $10 buys you, as I understand it, is the ability to push a button, talk to a person to be sure you have the right destination, and they have it downloaded into the car. My wife loves being able to do that, it's worth 35 cents a day to us. That was included for free in our Volt for three years.

EldRick said:
You can store the Google maps for a selected area in your phone (you have to refresh it once/month).
The latest versions of Google Maps are smart enough to refresh offline maps automatically when you have an Internet connection. And you can set it to only communicate when in WiFi mode so as to avoid data charges.

michael said:
What the $10 buys you, as I understand it, is the ability to push a button, talk to a person to be sure you have the right destination, and they have it downloaded into the car. My wife loves being able to do that, it's worth 35 cents a day to us. That was included for free in our Volt for three years.
If you're a regular user of navigation that's almost as cheap as navigation data charges might be on your phone, depending on your plan.

Does the service also include traffic or road work avoidance, and can it give estimated times of arrival?

SeanNelson said:
michael said:
If you're a regular user of navigation that's almost as cheap as navigation data charges might be on your phone, depending on your plan.

Does the service also include traffic or road work avoidance, and can it give estimated times of arrival?

I'm not sure but I imagine not. It's like a basic GPS nav system. But truthfully, she thinks it's perfect, always gets her to the destination, no fussing with punching in addresses or voice recognition. She can never be lost. She talks to an actual person, and we didn't pay the extra for a "nav" on the car.

Hi Guys, don't mean to hijack the thread, but was wondering about a Navigation phone power consumption issue when using Apple Carplay with an always-connected Iphone.

Because the Bolt does not come with navigation built-in, I wanted to enable navigation to always be available no matter who was driving. If someone with an older android phone or a flip phone drives the car, I wanted navigation to still work for them in the Bolt.

For this reason, I am testing out how to have a permanently connected iPhone in the car.

I have noticed that with Apple Carplay, if you connect the Apple phone in low-power mode it will fully support carplay so you can take/get calls, messages, and navigate, all just fine.

As it is standard, the car will not provide power through the USB when it is parked-off. So, if you put your Iphone in low-power mode, the phone can still stay on for several days, such as over a weekend, until you use the car again.

The one issue I have found is if you navigate to a destination through carplay, even if you turn off route guidance through carplay, the phone will stay in full-power mapping mode [background app?] and keep drawing a lot of energy. Because of this, if you then turn off the car, the permanent-iphone will be drained in just a few hours, even in low power mode.

I think this is a limitation or defect in the way the Apple carplay architecture works and carplay should be able to shut the app down or not continue to draw full-power when not navigating/routing; just like during a phone call, after the call, the phone is not drawing much power after the call.

Perhaps there is a setting in the iphone for reducing the navigation-app power draw when not providing route guidance, but I have not found it.

You might think about getting a dedicated GPS unit instead of using a carplay phone. They generally power themselves off when the external power is cut.

If Garmin or Magellan are smart they'll produce a small "headless" GPS unit that plugs into a USB port and displays maps using the Carplay or Android Auto protocols.

SeanNelson said:
If Garmin or Magellan are smart they'll produce a small "headless" GPS unit that plugs into a USB port and displays maps using the Carplay or Android Auto protocols.

This is actually a brilliant way for those companies to stay relevant in the age of smartphone navigation. I hope someone over there is thinking of this.

wwhitney said:
So I observed that with the MyChevrolet app, you can enter a destination address to send to the car, and the car starts the turn-by-turn directions. No need to interact with an OnStar representative. Are you saying that functionality depends on having an OnStar contract and will end after the 3 month trial?

BTW, when I activated the 3 month Onstar trial, I was offered an extension to a 6 month free trial if I signed up immediately for a subsequent plan. And no cancellation fee for that plan, so you could get 6 months free and then cancel. That's a no-cost option for anyone who is willing to pay attention to cancelling on time.

Cheers, Wayne

Not sure why different, but I was offered six months of OnStar free, and when I activated it, was offered another two months if I gave them my credit card number. When that period is up I will be looking at a plan that doesn't include data, since I am unlikely to need it.

roundpeg said:
wwhitney said:

Cheers, Wayne

Not sure why different, but I was offered six months of OnStar free, and when I activated it, was offered another two months if I gave them my credit card number. When that period is up I will be looking at a plan that doesn't include data, since I am unlikely to need it.

Heh, I was only offered three additional months. Sounds like they spin the Big Prize Wheel every time someone calls in...

I have not made a decision on OnStar yet.

INTERESTING, AT FIRST I WAS UPSET THAT MY PREMIUM BOLT DIDN'T HAVE THE OPTIONAL NAVIGATION, BUT NOW I MUCH PREFER USING MY PHONE WITH UP TO DATE INFORMATION

AND JUST FOR KICKS I USED THE ON-STAR NAVIGATION SERVICE THE OTHER DAY (FREE TRIAL :) AND I REALLY LIKE THE USER INTERFACE, SO IF YOU ARE BUYING THE ON-STAR PACKAGE, WELL, THAN YOU ARE COVERED ALL THE WAY AROUND...

Fully agree with most of the above. I now have a fully loaded Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (including so called 'PREMIUM') MMSC and I hated it (total waste of money). In fact it gave me that much problems (lousy and outdated navigation (Here based), BT paring problems, average sound) that I had it removed and replaced it by a Pioneer system with Carplay (and the same lousy (again Here based) navigation I found out later. So that unit was also replaced by a simple Pioneer with Carplay. I now happily use my Iphone with pre-loaded TomTom (50 euro's for the whole of Europe). Free updates and always up to date. Sooo unlike the Here software that is outdated by more than a year (2?) when you get it and costs 150 euro's for each update.

Looking forward to the Bolt with the setup I have now. I just need to find a good holder for the Iphone next to the screen.

Only issue I have is the radio. The Iphone 'steals' the radio (for turn to turn instructions) and does not give it back after it's done. I hope that's sorted in the newer Bolt Carplay

I want self contained navigation.

I don't even have a cell phone, which I consider an electronic slave master. I know it's a slave master, because I see people walking around all the time carefully charging and caressing their slave masters. They're so obsessed with tweeting that they're walking down the beach, they never look up to actually smell the ocean or be aware of the sand. Sad little electronic slaves. Tweeting away their lives.

I am reasonably in control over myself and have no such cell phone problems. Alternative could be a self contained TomTom (Garmin?) unit with 'life long' updates for the price of one Here (or similar) update. The big advantage over an 'in car' system is that you can set it before you leave.

Back