Which options are worth having others not worth it.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find one, the 480V DC fast chargers can provide up to 200 miles/hour of charge in just 30 minutes!

Not correct - the Bolt DCFC is limited to 60kW charge rate.

With losses and charging management (it slows waaaaay down for the last 30%), that means you'll get a couple of hundred miles in an hour and a half, and that's iff you can find a charger that supports 60kW or more.

EldRick said:
If you can find one, the 480V DC fast chargers can provide up to 200 miles/hour of charge in just 30 minutes!

With losses and charging management (it slows waaaaay down for the last 30%), that means you'll get a couple of hundred miles in an hour and a half, and that's iff you can find a charger that supports 60kW or more.

Ok.

Missed that point but it's still faster than an normal L2 charger and I like the option of using one if/when I can find one (which is the main problem now).

sgt1372 said:
schan2464 said:
We were waiting for a LT with the Comfort/Convenience and Fast Charger. Took my wife to see one of the in-stock units, and she hated the cloth seats, said they reminded her of burlap or canvas. Also didn't like the two tone color scheme. We decided to pass on the LT, and have ordered a Premier in orange with no other options. I have 3 other gas cars in the house for long trips, so the fast charger is literally wasted on us. Went with the light colored leather as she found the two tone less objectionable that way. As far as extra features that come standard on the Premier, the only ones I think may be of use are the surround view and the heated rear seat. I doubt we'll really use much else.

Your wife hates cloth seats but likes the orange paint? Interesting.

In any event, I think you'll find the "fast" DCFC option useful when/if you need a charge while on the road. If you can find one, the 480V DC fast chargers can provide up to 200 miles/hour of charge in just 30 minutes! Something that would take 8-10 hours with a standard L2 charger.

These are the same kind of charges used by Tesla in their Supercharger network, which is the main feature that Tesla loyalists point to as making Tesla the better EV choice.

However, with production and purchase of more EV vehicles like the Bolt, independent companies like ChargePoint, EVGo and Blink are trying to install more DCFC locations and to build a network that will make long distance driving a practical alternative to non-Tesla drivers.

She drove a Nissan Leaf for about 39 months, right at 12,000 miles per year. Even if we did have a fast charger, I still wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of finding one and waiting to charge when I have 2 hybrids at the ready. And frankly, we just don't take a whole lot of road trips to begin with.

As for the orange exterior, she has an orange set of Chuck Taylor high tops, so...

Well, I broke down and ordered a set of rubber floor mats (Part #42333257) and the tire inflation kit (Part #84237904) for my Bolt today. Should get the tire inflation kit in a couple of days and the mats in 1-2 weeks

Didn't want to wait 3-5 months (which was how long I was told it might take) to get the mats from WeatherTech. Bought the tire inflation kit so that I could remove the off-road compressor and tire repair kit that I've been carrying to date.

Was told by the Chevy parts guy that I could reject and get a refund for the mats and tire inflation kit if I don't like them. I will post pics of them if I decide to keep them.

I've had the Bolt for 2.5 months and driven it 1900 miles. Love it.

I've used the DCFC the two times I've driven to San Francisco from Sacramento. With the round trip and various side trips around the city, that's just outside the comfortable Bolt range when the weather is chilly. Getting the charge I needed in 30 minutes rather than 2-3 hours at an L2 was great. It also makes me more relaxed about getting beyond the round trip range from my house.

If I didn't have the DCFC, I would still have driven to the city, charged up using L2 and gotten home later. Like every other decision that involves money, the worth depends on personal preference balanced with personal finances. $750 made me wince. Interesting to think about what price would have caused me to decline.

EldRick said:

Could you please provide a link to the fast charge limit? Chevy has said 80 kW, and this is the first time I've heard of a different limit. I'm particularly interested in the max current, because max power will depend on SOC.

If the limit really is 60 kW, then the current limit would be ~170A at a fairly low SOC (~350 V battery potential). Have you (or anybody) tried charging with a 200 A DCFC (still rare) and measured the max charging current or power?

Ok, just received the rubber mats and tire inflation kit for my Bolt. Posted below of pics of them.

I think the mats look pretty good. They fit perfectly and the Bolt logo is on the front mats. Well worth the $130 plus tax IMO.

Probably made by WeatherTech. Surprising that WT hasn't made them available yet but no need to wait unless your want the laser fit mats instead.

The tire inflation kit comes in 2 parts -- the compressor and the sealant canister which both fit in the proper slots in the lower storage area w/the L1 charge cord.

Funny thing is that there are NO instructions on how to use the tire inflation kit BUT pages and pages of instructions on how to install the floor mats -- probably due to all the liability claims for loose car mats allegedly causing gas pedal problems., but it's funny just the same.

I don't think the tire inflation kit is worth $100 plus tax BUT I hate having empty slots in the storage compartment, which reminds me -- What the heck goes in the last remaining slot? Asked my sales rep but he had no idea.

Anyone have a clue? A digital tire gauge perhaps? The dimensions of the slot are 4"L x 1.75"W x 1"D. Looked on Amazon but all of the gauges there seem to be too large to fit. However, there's a tire gauge marketed by Slime that may just fit. Going to look for that.

In any event here are the pics of the mats and the tire inflation kit:

17621944_1285242684902614_8920635792289094138_o.jpg

17632088_1285242851569264_7682262672517887950_o.jpg

17620411_1285243041569245_2666958274396508385_o.jpg

17621913_1285244284902454_2217270571280738840_o.jpg

EldRick said:

Its 80kw. Has been since inception. Post any written proof otherwise if you can find.

Posatronic said:
Regarding.... the Bolt DCFC is limited to 60kW charge rate....

Its 80kw. Has been since inception. Post any written proof otherwise if you can find.

There are severel video interviews posted online from Chevy headquarters directly talking to the project enginneers who designed and built the Bolt. More than once they say "60 kw" and "for now, 60 kw" which implies FUTURE ITERATIONS of this car MAY charge at a higher rate.

Second, for those of us who charge at 50 kw chargers today, we see the charge "meter" is nearly pegged out... room for maybe 10 more. 60 kw total. The meter does not currently go to 80 kw unless there is come kind if update to the car.

80 kw possible? Yes.
Probable? No.

I have DCFC'd about 10 times now.
Both the cables, socket, and battery get hot at 45 kw charge rate.... on a 60'F day. Only the battery has active cooling.

Don't hold your breath for 80kw.

sgt1372 said:
Ok, just received the rubber mats and tire inflation kit for my Bolt. Posted below of pics of them.

I think the mats look pretty good.

What the heck goes in the last remaining slot? Asked my sales rep but he had no idea.

Anyone have a clue?

I agree. They look great. I would buy them tomorrow if I had not elected to pay $500 at lease signing for "excessive wear and tear" waiver. Basically I'm off the hook for anything cosmetic.

AS FOR THE LAST SLOT.... That's for the battery hydrometer.

:mrgreen:

View attachment IMG_1415.PNG

gpsman said:
Posatronic said:
There are severel video interviews posted online from Chevy headquarters directly talking to the project enginneers who designed and built the Bolt. More than once they say "60 kw" and "for now, 60 kw" which implies FUTURE ITERATIONS of this car MAY charge at a higher rate.
I interpreted that interview as Josh effectively saying "what we're willing to admit, for now, is 60KW". In other words, the 60KW number was given in the same vein as the "at least 200 mile range" figure - a number they were willing to stand behind but which was a lower limit.

gpsman said:
sgt1372 said:
AS FOR THE LAST SLOT.... That's for the battery hydrometer. :mrgreen:

That's funny. Doesn't look like it "fits" the slot anyway.

So, here's what I did. The Slime digital "sport" tire pressure gauge does fit into the slot. So, I bought one at Target for $10 to put in there (even though I have an analog type gauge for the car that I prefer to use instead) and the rerouted the L1 charge cable so that it fits into the long rectangular slot as well. So, now everything is in its "place." LOL!!!

Anyway, probably only matters to me but this is how it looks now:

17493252_1289578721135677_7098987782924433328_o.jpg

devbolt said:
Pages 289 thru 295 in the owner's manual describes how to use the inflation kit and sealant.

Thanks. I already knew how to use it. It's no different than any other tire sealant inflation "kit" but WAY overpriced at $100. Think I'll still carry a can of tire sealant in the car to use instead.

Silly (stupid really) to pay $100 to fill the slots but that's what I did. LOL!! ;)

sgt1372 said:
devbolt said:
Pages 289 thru 295 in the owner's manual describes how to use the inflation kit and sealant.

Thanks. I already knew how to use it. It's no different than any other tire sealant inflation "kit" but WAY overpriced at $100. Think I'll still carry a can of tire sealant in the car to use instead.

Silly (stupid really) to pay $100 to fill the slots but that's what I did. LOL!! ;)

Well, you had complained that it didn't come with instructions on how to use. I was merely pointing out that the instructions are in the owners' manual.

I'll likely spend the $100 to fill the slot in the trunk, too.

Btw, the empty slot you mentioned appears to be for some sort multi-tip screwdriver that the European folks get, but we don't.

devbolt said:
Btw, the empty slot you mentioned appears to be for some sort multi-tip screwdriver that the European folks get, but we don't.

Must be some source for it if it exists.

I went thru the same accessory "search" when I got my BMW -- things like the mini-flashlight that goes in the glove box and a 1st aid kit, that were supposed to come w/the car.

Turns out some of this stuff -- like a triangular hazard sign -- was also available only in Euro versions of the car. Didn't bother buying the hazard sign because it also required a special mounting bracket that I didn't want to bother with.

But I did install a Euro taillight "fog" switch which gives you the option of turning on the rear brake lights in the fog, which is very confusing to people behind you who think you're just riding your brakes.

I only use it when someone is tailgating me (a rare event) and I want them to back off. If I hit the rear "fog" switch, the brake lights go on w/o my even touching the brakes. A neat trick. ;)

sgt1372 said:
devbolt said:

It's something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-1-4-in-6-in-1-Screwdriver-120SD12D/100137978

The following video at the 2:42 minute mark shows what the actual screwdriver looks like that they will get in Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvrtLPkkPc&feature=youtu.be

Not sure what the blue thing is at the bottom. Maybe some sort of folding hazard triangle?

devbolt said:
sgt1372 said:
devbolt said:

It's something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-1-4-in-6-in-1-Screwdriver-120SD12D/100137978

The following video at the 2:42 minute mark shows what the actual screwdriver looks like that they will get in Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvrtLPkkPc&feature=youtu.be

Not sure what the blue thing is at the bottom. Maybe some sort of folding hazard triangle?

Ah ha!!! Many thanks for the video.! That clears things up.

But just a screwdriver? What the heck for? I think I've got one like that lying around -- it's got a removal shaft so that you can switch between blade and phillips heads -- but I'd rather keep the tire gauge in the slot instead.

However, I also noticed the blue case lying in the long slot that looks like a lot like the type of emergency road sign that is required to be included in European cars, like the one I didn't buy for the BMW.

It looks like this:

warning-triangle-02.jpg

However, since it doesn't require the installation of a mounting bracket as in my BMW, I may just buy one of these to put in the Bolt trunk too. Can just throw it in the BMW after the Bolt lease is up which what I'll do w/the tire inflation kit too.

sgt1372 said:
Ah ha!!! Many thanks for the video.! That clears things up.

But just a screwdriver? What the heck for?
If you believe some of the complaints about the EU, it's probably a regulatory requirement of some sort.

Back