Business Insider - Chevy Bolt makes other EVs 'utterly irrelevant"

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't describe the 238 miles as a "limit", only a guide. With a light foot, you may be able to coax 300 miles out of the car, while others that drive in cold winters, or at 90MPH will get less. Sometimes though, it isn't only about how far you can go, but also how long you're able to wait to recharge. Fast charging mitigates that, though there could be times it isn't available, so you plug into level 1 or 2 charging that takes a lot longer. For that reason, I bought an EVSE which is portable, that uses a 14-50 plug that is commonly found at RV parks and campgrounds. If your vacation spot is a campground, I'd highly recommend bringing one along.

At some point, EV's need to stand on their own four wheels, without a government subsidy. Regardless if you're red or blue, I think Uncle Sam would be better off shifting the burden of those subsidies onto the manufacturers that continue to sell highly profitable 3-ton monstrosities like the Nissan Armada.

"May" being the operative word here. The spousal unit would not be very thrilled with "we may make it to the hotel if I drive very carefully." I wouldn't be so keen on it myself. So you get to the hotel with 50 miles of remaining range, maybe a little more if you've taken it slow. If the hotel doesn't have a charger station on the premises, or if you can't find a nearby fast charger, then your goose is cooked. Even if you do find a charger, it could mess up your evening plans if it isn't where you plan to be.

Sure, the industry has to be self-sustaining at some point, but at what point? We'd be kidding ourselves if we said it was ready now. If the tax credits go away, and the incentive for the auto manufacturers to earn CARB credits disappears, then most of the companies not 100% dependent on EVs are going to pull the plug, so to speak. And almost without a doubt Tesla is done. What we've got in store is an administration that doesn't believe in the climate science underpinning the entire renewables industry. So I see them encouraging fossil fuels and yanking the support out from under the renewables industry before it gets to where it is sustainable. The auto industry will be thrilled to sell more 3-ton monstrosities instead.

roundpeg said:
Tip-toeing into this debate and hoping I don't regret it. ;)

As evidently one of the few on these boards who is new to EVs I can see merit in what both of you are saying. If I do buy the Bolt I have on order it won't be with the hope or expectation that I will be taking it on our next vacation. Most of our vacation spots are too distant or remote to make that a practical consideration right now (and we have another car for that). However I would expect to use it for all of our driving with 100 miles or so of home, which around here covers a lot of useful territory. Maybe the near future will be different, but I would not buy the car on that speculation but on what I know today about its utility. The bottom line is, the range and price of the Bolt make it the first EV for me that would not require a significant lifestyle change in order to use it as my primary driver. I suspect I am not alone. A sign of things to come, I hope.

I concur with your viewpoint. The 75 mile Focus Electric did the job for me maybe 95% of the days (i.e., maybe 15 days a year it didn't) but only because I have workplace charging. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked for me.

The 200+ mile Bolt will do 125 miles for sure, which is to say even in the worst weather, even when the battery has faded. So it will do the job for me 98% of the time, with or without workplace charging.

The very few days a year this doesn't suffice, I'll take the Volt and my wife will take the Bolt...of like you suggested, on vacations we will take the Volt. 100% coverage between the two cars.

It is typical marketing/media hyperbole to get people talking.

For some people, this will make any other EV choice less attractive, but they will not be irrelevant, let along utterly irrelevant.

People keep asking why someone would buy a significantly lower range EV AT CURRENT PRICES. For the most part they won't, but since those manufactures need to sell them in some locations, they will either lower teh rpice and lose more on each car, or improve them so they are more competitive.

I am in the market for an EV right now, and while the Bolt is "coming soon" I am seriously thinking of getting a lease on one of the current range of EV, Fiat 500e, or BMW i3. The initial Lease offer from Chevy makes it more expensive to lease the Bolt than an i3.

Range is very important, but the 240 ish mile range, along with the lack of "full speed" SuperChargers means that even with the larger range, a roadtrip to LA from the SF Bay area for the weekend is not viable. I would not want to risk a trip to Yosemite, or up and back to Tahoe to go ski either.

Therefore the 80-100 mile range options currently available would meet all of my needs which are viable FOR ME with any current EV.

The 2017 BMWi3 REX would actually be a more viable option for any of those trips since I could hobble along by refilling the gas tank in a worse case scenario.

I am glad the Bolt has been able to drastically increase the range available for the average consumer.

Back