Death to pedestrians!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dndrich said:
Hmm. Interesting. No, mine all work fine despite the PFAF fuse having been removed. Weird.

When was yours built? I wonder if they made a change.

In a world where I had unlimited time and energy, I'd find the speaker and insert a N.C. relay in-line with it powered by an on with ignition circuit. When the car is on, the speaker would be disconnected, As soon as the car was turned off, the speaker would be reconnected and I would still get charge begin confirmation. The sound of the Prius didn't bother me too much. I doubt it would have even if it continued at a stop. There's just something about the sound of this one that drives me crazy.

mikegrb said:
dndrich said:
Hmm. Interesting. No, mine all work fine despite the PFAF fuse having been removed. Weird.

When was yours built? I wonder if they made a change.

In a world where I had unlimited time and energy, I'd find the speaker and insert a N.C. relay in-line with it powered by an on with ignition circuit. When the car is on, the speaker would be disconnected, As soon as the car was turned off, the speaker would be reconnected and I would still get charge begin confirmation. The sound of the Prius didn't bother me too much. I doubt it would have even if it continued at a stop. There's just something about the sound of this one that drives me crazy.

Not sure when mine was built, but one of the earliest. Can I tell from the VIN number?

dndrich said:
Not sure when mine was built, but one of the earliest. Can I tell from the VIN number?

There's a sticker with manufacturing date visible below and to the right of the driver's side opening visible when the door is open.

mikegrb said:
dndrich said:

There's a sticker with manufacturing date visible below and to the right of the driver's side opening visible when the door is open.

OK, got it. Mine is 12/16.

After going in to order some extras at the dealership, I was told there is a model difference now. There was some sort of change after the January build dates. I am curious (and hopefully not also jealous of) what changes/improvements they made.

But mine was built before the break and pulling the fuse didn't affect my buttons. Maybe there is another variation the service desk didn't have access to.

I located the speaker, it's to the right of the horn, below the driver's side head light assembly. Can't get my fingers in there, or see it for that matter. It's a position similar to where the Prius has it located. In the Prius, easiest access was through the wheel well.

After having owned my car for only 1 day, and driven about 40 miles, I do believe the fuse will be coming out from mine too.

That sound is very audible with the windows down, and frankly quite annoying.

I'll just turn up my unce tunes. :cool:

redpoint5 said:
Since the law gives right of way to pedestrians, even on motor vehicle roadways, it conditions pedestrians to assume vehicles will yield to them. People are so comfortable that they will cross roads without looking, assuming that a 4,000 lb vehicle is going to notice them and stop.

Furthermore, it takes enormous amounts of energy to stop a multi-ton vehicle from high speeds, and almost no energy or distance to stop a pedestrian.

The law needs to be changed to assume the vehicle has the right of way unless the pedestrian is on a pedestrian only path, or following crossing signals.

Your assumptions about what the law is are incorrect for California.

Short version is that vehicle drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, pedestrians must yield to vehicles outside of crosswalks, and both must act in a safe manner. Note: an "unmarked crosswalk" automatically exists when streets cross at approximately right angles, unless there is a sign prohibiting pedestrian crossing.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&division=11.&title=&part=&chapter=5.&article=

California Vehicle Code said:
21950. (a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.

(d) Subdivision (b) does not relieve a driver of a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of any pedestrian within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.

[...]

21953. Whenever any pedestrian crosses a roadway other than by means of a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing, if a pedestrian tunnel or overhead crossing serves the place where the pedestrian is crossing the roadway, such pedestrian shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles on the highway so near as to constitute an immediate hazard.

This section shall not be construed to mean that a marked crosswalk, with or without a signal device, cannot be installed where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead crossing exists.

21954. (a) Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway so near as to constitute an immediate hazard.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a vehicle from the duty to exercise due care for the safety of any pedestrian upon a roadway.

21955. Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at any place except in a crosswalk.

Interesting read . I don't hate the noise . and not going to "pull the fuse".
BUT would be thrilled if it made a different noise (as mentioned) ... one of you high tech guys must be able to come up with an alternate.
Millennium Falcon, F1, big diesel ....anything

Wyvern said:
Interesting read . I don't hate the noise . and not going to "pull the fuse".
BUT would be thrilled if it made a different noise (as mentioned) ... one of you high tech guys must be able to come up with an alternate.
Millennium Falcon, F1, big diesel ....anything

The music from Jaws ...

gpsman said:
I AM TOTALLY 100% IN FAVOR OF REMOVING THE FUSE FOR THIS SILLY DEVICE! I'm so glad to learn it is this easy. DONE!

This TOTALLY WORTHLESS "feature" tries to fix a problem that does not exsist.

Caution: Real SCIENCE follows. .

Thank you for being a voice of reason!!

Back