My Estimated 150 Mile Driving Report

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

Instead of burying this extensive review in another thread, I decided to post this "estimated 150" mile review of my recent driving and charging experience with my Bolt LT as a separate thread. I hope people will find it informative and useful.

While I swore elsewhere in this forum that I would NEVER drive my Bolt into the City (of San Francisco) from my home in the far East Bay, I actually did so yesterday. The reasons were varied but the weather and other conditions made the choice of my Bolt over the other 4 vehicles that I own the best of choice for the day.

It was also an opportunity to actually determine how far I could drive the Bolt on my normal route into the City driving the way I like to drive – like I stole it --- which is very aggressively on the freeway, where I typically cruise at 75-80 but will hit speeds of 85 to the speed limiter at 93 in order to pass and/or get around heavy traffic. On the other hand, on City streets, I am mindful of the congestion and traffic and drive within the limits of those conditions.

First, I’d like to say how much I love the way the Bolt accelerates and how nimble its handling is on the road. I know what driving a FAST well handling car is like. I use to ride motorcycles – very fast ones. My BMW is motorcycle fast (not as fast as some other cars but definitely fast) and handles extremely well. I also have driven faster and better handling cars as a member of a local sports car club called Club Sportiva.

In any event, the Bolt is QUICK. Hit the sport mode button and nail the accelerator and you’ll be gone before any other car knows it. You won't win any races but that's NOT what practical driving in traffic is all about. The excellent handling of the car combined w/the excellent torque and acceleration available allows you to hit any hole really FAST – again before the drivers in the cars you’re squeezing through know you even were thinking about doing it. Just superb functionality for driving on the freeway in the SF Bay Area. I don't think the anticipated Tesla M3 or any other EV can do much (if any) better. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

Anyway, since I knew that I would have time to recharge while in the City, I had no concern about whether I could make it into the City and back and just drove the car as I normally drive all of my vehicles. Here’s what happened. BTW, all range figures are based on the mid-range estimate shown on the screen in my Bolt.

The starting range after a full charge on my L2 at home was 217 miles.

Remaining range at the EvGo station in SF was 128 miles after traveling 77.2 miles (64.6 on the freeway and 12.6 in the City).

After the L3 recharge at the EvGo station (more on that later), I had 172 miles of range, which would have been more than enough to get back home. Not so sure about heading back home w/o a recharge with just 128 miles of range available. More on that later.

After recharging at the EvGo station, I headed over to a parking lot that I knew had 3 L2 ChargePoint chargers in it. I always park in a garage when I’m in the City whenever I can because I don’t like potential damage that can happen to my car when parked on the street. I grew up in the City and know all about that.

I consider parking in a garage as insurance against such incidents. The garage was also closer to where I wanted to be in the City and gave me a chance to top off the Bolt further for FREE – at least as far as the charging was concerned. The parking fee was another matter.

So, I hooked up the Bolt to one of the L2 chargers and went to dinner w/my GF. 2 hours later, the range on the car was 209 (around 2 mins before a full charge was predicted) and 8 miles less than when I left from home.

I then dropped off my GF at her home in the City and headed back to my home in the East Bay. The range at the end of the return trip was 120 after driving 71.8 miles (about 10 of those in the City before hitting the freeway).

Total actual miles driven was 149 miles. There was a minor discrepancy in miles driven between the odometer and the energy info screen of less than 1 mile. I’m using the odometer figure. The mileage on the energy info screen was 149.8. The energy used during the trip was 47.7 kwh and the energy use rate was 3.1 m/kwh.

The ending range after a full recharge at home after the trip was 199 miles – 18 less than when I started the trip -- which was the car's adjustment for my more aggressive driving style during the trip and probably a more accurate assessment of the available range given that driving style.

So, what did I learn?

1) Regarding the ability to drive into the City and back home on a single charge – in other words, without recharging in town – I think it can be done but I wouldn’t want to do it. I traveled 149 miles using up 178 miles of estimated range. If I had not recharged in the City, I would have started with a range of 217 miles and ended with 39. Not much of a cushion but doable.

However, for peace of mind, I’d still take the time to get at least a quick recharge at a L3 station to increase the cushion. Using the end of trip range adjustment of 199 miles, there would have been only 21 miles of range remaining. Even less reason to return home w/o topping off in the City first.

2) Regarding the EvGo charging session, there has been a debate in another thread as to whether EvGo sessions are automatically limited to 30 mins or not. I and at least one other person have experienced EvGo charging sessions longer than 30 mins w/o an automatic shutoff. In this case, the EvGo session was timed at 30 mins and 2 secs after an automatic shut-off.

I returned almost exactly at that time because I set my phone alarm to tell me when 30 mins had passed. So, I have now had 2 different experiences w/an EvGo charger – one session that was NOT limited to 30 mins and one that was. So, if you need more than a 30 min charge from an EvGo station, it seems that you will always need to go back to that station in 30 mins to see if the charger has automatically terminated the session or not. If it has, you’ll need to start another session. If not, just go back to whatever you were doing.

The cost of this EvGo session was $5.95 plus 20 cents a minute. I’ll be curious to see if EvGo charges me an extra 20 cents or not for the extra 2 seconds. I’m guessing that they will in the hope that I will not complain and ask for a refund for it. It’s a good way for EvGo to generate more profit. We’ll see about that.

As for the cost in general, I think it is still too high. Rounding off to $12 for the session, I only got 44 miles of additional range for that cost which works out to 27.3 cents per mile. My BMW gets 20 miles to the gallon of premium which costs around $3 these days. In comparison, 20 miles of range on the EvGo charger cost me the equivalent of $5.45/gallon in my BMW – that’s European gas pricing. Way too expensive but you really have no choice if you need a charge.

This is at least one reason for me to avoid recharging in the City but peace of mind dictates to me that I pay the price in order to make sure that I have enough range to get back home.

3) Regarding the ChargePoint charging session, there are many locations in the City where charging on a ChargePoint charger is FREE. However, most of these chargers are located in a public parking lot controlled by the City where you have to pay a parking fee, which offsets the charging cost.

Anyway, I paid $10.50 for parking and nothing for the charge. I would have paid the parking fee regardless, so (at least in my mind) I can regard the additional 39 miles that I got in 2 hours as actually free.

The low rate of charge (19.5 miles/hour) was largely due I believe to the fact that the Bolt was already up to an 82% SOC after the EvGo charging session which began at a 62% SOC and where the rate of charge was 88 miles/hour.

The solo (not shared) ChargePoint charger was probably throttled down due to the fact that the battery was already at 82% SOC at the start of the session but, if I was in a hurry, there is no doubt that it would have been better to remain at the EvGo charger to top off.

Just for comparison’s sake, if I had needed a charge and HAD to park in the garage to get it, the 39 miles of range would have cost 26.9 cents per mile or the 20 mile/gallon equivalent of $5.38 per gallon. Not much different than the cost and range received at the EvGo station and still VERY expensive in comparison with the cost of refueling my BMW.

What’s my conclusion?

The Bolt is an extremely functional and well handling vehicle for trips into the City and around the Bay Area. While I would prefer not to drive it into the City, I will no longer hesitate to do so if necessary. Also, while I think that I could make it into the City and back without topping off, I will only drive the Bolt into town when I know that I will have the time to stop at a charging station to do so. No quick turn arounds like I do in my ICE vehicles that can easily make it into the City and back w/o the need to gas up.

The Bolt is a GREAT car for local use. I do not regret leasing it and, if I can't find a better deal at lease end, I'd probably end up leasing or even buying a Bolt again.

Well done, Chevy!!!

This is a cool owner report. Thanks! You drive like I do. I've not yet driven the Bolt (next month in CT), and I wonder how the gas saving tires hold up in spirited cornering?

ScooterCT said:
This is a cool owner report. Thanks! You drive like I do. I've not yet driven the Bolt (next month in CT), and I wonder how the gas saving tires hold up in spirited cornering?

You're welcome. Glad you liked it.

The very narrow, hard tires on the Bolt require you to drive SMOOTHLY through the turns at speed or they will squeal and lose traction. This requires minimal steering input and proper speed control.

Can't drive it hard and late into a turn like I can in my BMW w/the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or the the Yokohama S Drives on my MR2) before braking and/or downshifting to achieve the proper speed and position at the apex before entering the turn and then driving at speeds which test the limits of the traction of the tires through the turn.

You need to execute the turn smoothly at the proper speed so as not to exceed the traction limit of the tires on the Bolt. Failure to do so could lead to loss of control and a VERY ugly scene because, although the Bolt's relatively wide stance relative to its height and wheelbase should mitigate against it, the tendency of the car to understeer and the relatively low performance characteristics of the tires increase the likelihood of a rollover or just plowing off the roadway if a turn is taken too quickly or abruptly.

So, just be careful if you want to do any "spirited cornering" in the Bolt.

sgt1372 -

Thx for the report! A few comments.

1) It's (obviously) up to you to decide whether to take the Bolt into the city or not, but I think that you showed that not only CAN you do it, you can do it easily and with a safety margin when driving the way YOU want to drive, with no charge away from home. A 39 mile buffer (say, 25-30 'real') is quite a buffer. But again, you (obviously) know what you wish to do - for me, I would have no worries (but I'd have 3 or 4 backup plans anyways ;) ). As part of your backup plan, you have Dirito Bros VW in Walnut Creek (I680 just N of CA-24) - Chargepoint, 24kW, $0.20/min, no connect fee AND Richmond Kennedy Swim, 599 S 45th St, Richmond (off I80 near Cutting Blvd) - ChargePoint, 44 kW, $7/hr, no connect fee. Just in case you need an extra 5-10 kWh to get home with 'peace of mind'. Both are a lot less expensive than EVgo. Or you could just slow down for the last 20 miles.

2) If you can easily find an L2 charger in the city (it sounds like you can) then each hour will add about 20 miles of 'breakneck' driving on the freeway.

3) concerning the price, the reason it was so high is that you used an EVgo charger - they rape the 'occasional' user. It sounds like you put about 15 kWh into the vehicle at the EVgo station, which would have cost ME about $3 at the DCFCs that I use (I don't use EVgo, and I almost exclusively use DCFCs that charge by the kWh, not by time parked).

Glad you are enjoying your Bolt !!

@SparkE:

Thanks for the tips on the "backup" charging locations but I don't think I'll need them.

I've never run of gas in any car. I'm the type guy who usually fills up the tank when it's only 1/2 full. I almost never allow the gas gauge drop to 1/4 full and, when that happens, it's usually because I'm way out in the boonies and there isn't a gas station in sight. In that case, I'm on pins and needles trying to figure out where I'm going to get some gas.

No different w/the Bolt. I will always top off in town before heading home from the City which will never require me to worry about running out of power before I get home.

As for EvGo, I don't know where you charge up but (according to PlugShare and ChargeHub) most of the available L3 charging locations in the City are located at Walgreens and Whole Foods and those are all EvGo stations. On the other hand, most of the free L2 stations in the public lots are run by ChargePoint. Not much of choice beyond that -- at least in the parts of the City where I am most likely to be when I need/want a charge. So, I really have no choice in the matter.

If it makes sense financially, I'll consider "joining" EvGo to save on in town charges but I don't drive into the City all that often and would still rather drive one of my other cars into the City instead of the Bolt. It's only when I drive the Bolt into the City, which will be a rare occasion, that I'll even need to think about charging and, if I do, I'll probably resort to the locations I used yesterday because they are located near where I am normally doing business in the City.

SparkE said:
As part of your backup plan, you have Dirito Bros VW in Walnut Creek (I680 just N of CA-24) - Chargepoint, 24kW, $0.20/min, no connect fee AND Richmond Kennedy Swim, 599 S 45th St, Richmond (off I80 near Cutting Blvd) - ChargePoint, 44 kW, $7/hr, no connect fee. Just in case you need an extra 5-10 kWh to get home with 'peace of mind'...
There are two advantages to avoiding a charge in the city and only dropping in on one closer to home if you need it:

1) When you're closer to home there's less uncertainty about how much range you'll need to complete the journey, so you won't need to put as many KWh into the battery - which means less time and expense.

2) When you wait until the battery is at a lower SOC before charging you charge at a higher rate (assuming the charger is capable of it), which means you'll spend even less time charging.

SeanNelson said:
There are two advantages to avoiding a charge in the city and only dropping in on one closer to home if you need it:

1) When you're closer to home there's less uncertainty about how much range you'll need to complete the journey, so you won't need to put as many KWh into the battery - which means less time and expense.

2) When you wait until the battery is at a lower SOC before charging you charge at a higher rate (assuming the charger is capable of it), which means you'll spend even less time charging.

Interesting point of view but once I get on the road -- regardless of the type of vehicle I'm driving -- I generally do not want to stop for anything unless I need to stretch my legs or to fill up my tank.

No need to do either for the roughly 70 mile trip between the City and my home as long as I am fully charged when I leave the house and top off w/a 30 min L3 charge in the City before I head home.

sgt1372 said:
In any event, the Bolt is QUICK. Hit the sport mode button and nail the accelerator and you’ll be gone before any other car knows it. You won't win any races but that's NOT what practical driving in traffic is all about. The excellent handling of the car combined w/the excellent torque and acceleration available allows you to hit any hole really FAST – again before the drivers in the cars you’re squeezing through know you even were thinking about doing it. Just superb functionality for driving on the freeway in the SF Bay Area. I don't think the anticipated Tesla M3 or any other EV can do much (if any) better. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

The Bolt's tiny footprint is also helpful in filling those holes fast. The Tesla is supposed to be quicker, but also a couple of feet longer and a half-foot wider than the Bolt.

I drive 140 miles roundtrip for work every day in the Bolt. 24 miles of that are local roads, the rest highway at 55-65 mph. I can definitely tell you that even at 70 mph I drastically lose range compared to 65 mph. I know you may not be able to go slower (to stay with the flow of traffic), but at 65 mph I'll get 3.9-4.1 miles/kw compared to 3.5 or less at 70-75mph. This is with temps generally around the 50s on the East Coast. I generally will leave the house with around 230-240 miles of range and return with 90-100 miles left. You'll start to not fret about the amount left on your battery as time goes on. I used to freak out when it got below 70 or so, but as long as I don't have to turn around and work 8 hours after I get home it's more than enough time for the Bolt to recharge to full. You'll get good at driving it and then you won't even have to stop to charge!

Thanks for sharing this, sgt1372. I'm glad to hear that you took on the adventure after all. If nothing else, now you know for certain what to expect.

markbolt11 said:
You'll get good at driving it and then you won't even have to stop to charge!

I'd say he's already "good" at driving his Bolt. He could drive like grandpa on the freeway (or avoid freeways altogether), but chooses not to. Reading sgt's review, he didn't much care about the $12 it cost him for the 44 miles of peace of mind.

I have to say, now that I am above 1000 miles on this Bolt, the tires and grip seems a lot different than when I first started.

I had my brother "test" my Bolt out. As he pushed it to its limits taking corners far quicker than what I would have done (nervous time as a passenger) the tires didn't squeal like they first did. Ever since, my tires have not been as noisy as they were the first week. Also, it takes corners almost as well as my Monte Carlo does.

Lesson learned; you have to break them in.

oilerlord said:
markbolt11 said:
You'll get good at driving it and then you won't even have to stop to charge!

I'd say he's already "good" at driving his Bolt. He could drive like grandpa on the freeway (or avoid freeways altogether), but chooses not to. Reading sgt's review, he didn't much care about the $12 it cost him for the 44 miles of peace of mind.

Nah, the $12 doesn't matter (as long as it's not too often) but it pisses me off that I have to pay THAT much just to get 40-50 miles of charge.

But really no other choice. At least in SF, the choice for me is to either use an EvGo L3 DCFC and pay the charging fee or park in a City owned garage and pay the parking fee to use a ChargePoint charger for free. Gotcha either way.

There are apparently a couple of totally free L2 locations available at Ft. Mason (not sure what company supplies them), but that's way too far out of the way for me.

Got the ChargePoint card w/the Bolt and just decided to sign up for an EvGo "flex plan" card. Only "save" $1 per session by signing up. It just will be a bit more convenient to initiate the session than by using my credit card. We'll see . . .

I merely meant by getting "good" at driving it that you learn to anticipate other people's moves and can avoid having to accelerate suddenly, brake quick enough that you can't just use the regen braking, etc. Driving efficiently doesn't mean "driving like Grandpa". We all just bought/leased $45,000 cars, I'm not concerned about $12 to charge!

markbolt11 said:
I merely meant by getting "good" at driving it that you learn to anticipate other people's moves and can avoid having to accelerate suddenly, brake quick enough that you can't just use the regen braking, etc. Driving efficiently doesn't mean "driving like Grandpa".

LOL!! I am always accelerating to avoid trouble and try to only use my brakes when I have to stop. I mainly use the accelerator (and the engine) to control my speed.

This is why . . .

I am always looking ahead -- it's an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Fountain) riding technique that I also use driving called SPIDE -- scan (the road ahead), predict (what might happen ahead), identify (potential problems), decide (what to do about them) and execute (your plan).

I am usually scanning the road as far ahead as I can see -- all the way to the horizon -- and using this technique allows me to know when to speed up and slow down given the traffic pattern and potential problems that I see.

I have also participated in various motorcycle and driving schools, such as Reg Pridmore's Class, Keith Code's California Superbike School and Skip Barber's Racing School among others -- all of which teach you how to ride/drive really FAST and SAFELY.

I know that sounds like an oxymoron to most people but it IS possible to do both -- it's all about doing SPIDE along w/maintaining your focus, attention and control while driving.

Keith Code also had a useful mnemonic tip -- When you're riding (or driving) you have $1 of time/speed/traction available to you. If you use up more than that $1's worth of those resources, you will crash. So, use those resources wisely.

This tip prevents me from speeding beyond beyond my capacity to slow down and or avoid potential problems in the road.

Another thing I learned motorcycling (from Nick Ienatch who was a writer for Motorcylist magazine) is called the PACE. This involves riding as FAST as you can while maintaining control WITHOUT ever using your brakes. This mainly applies in the twisties and requires proper speed and throttle control to allow you to ride the motorcycle SMOOTHLY through the turns only using the throttle (NEVER the brakes) while also NEVER crossing over the center line (real or imagined) in the road.

If you're using your brakes and are shifting too much (or too early or too late), you're doing it wrong. I use this technique while driving too, mainly in my MR2.

The PACE is related to the $1 idea in that it prevents you from riding/driving faster than is safe to do and requires to you ride/drive w/in the limits of your and the vehicle's abilities to do so at speed both smoothly and safely with control.

These are NOT racing techniques. They are absolutely to contrary to what you would do racing. They are practical riding/driving techniques that are useful skills for driving on the road.

Anyway, this is why I accelerate quickly to pass cars in order to avoid problems with them and avoid braking unnecessarily because I've already passed the problems that might cause me to use them. This is also why I can't drive 55. LOL!!!

OBTW, I do drive like a Grandpa. That's because I am one. Double LOL!!!!

PS: Sorry to make this such a long treatise on driving techniques. I got carried away but I hope that someone will find the info provided useful.

sgt1372 said:
I am always looking ahead -- it's an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Fountain) riding technique that I also use driving called SPIDE -- scan (the road ahead), predict (what might happen ahead), identify (solutions to those problems), decide (what to do about them) and execute (your plan).

I am usually scanning the road as far ahead as I can see -- all the way to the horizon -- and using this technique allows me to know when to speed up and slow down given the traffic pattern and potential problems that I see.
Interesting description of those techniques, thanks for posting!

I totally agree that looking ahead to anticipate traffic and driving so that you can minimize the use of your brakes (which implies leaving a generous distance between you and the car ahead) are the keys to safe and comfortable travel. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are obviously having to react to things they could easily have anticipated and thus are just making the drive more difficult for themselves.

The other behaviour that I rarely see mentioned is setting out on your trip with plenty of time to arrive at your destination. It makes a world of difference to your driving technique and to your stress levels if your GPS is telling you that you'll arrive 5 minutes early vs. 5 minutes late.

SeanNelson said:
sgt1372 said:
The other behaviour that I rarely see mentioned is setting out on your trip with plenty of time to arrive at your destination. It makes a world of difference to your driving technique and to your stress levels if your GPS is telling you that you'll arrive 5 minutes early vs. 5 minutes late.

That's something else I always do -- leave early -- but it doesn't prevent me from speeding while driving to my destination. ;)

BTW, the Bolt is a great car in which to practice using your accelerator (not your brake) to control your speed, particularly in L which will allow your car to come to a complete stop if you stop pressing on it.

I've tested this going really slow and the car has stopped by "itself" when I completely got off the accelerator, but I still use the brake to come to a complete stop as I believe you should.

However, I always use a two foot driving technique in cars w/automatic transmissions. Left foot brake and right foot accelerator. This reduces the reaction time and allows me to stop much faster.

It can be tiring but I actually leave my left foot above the brake (hard to heel and toe the brake) when in heavy traffic, just so that I can stop as fast as possible.

You can also trail brake using the left foot for braking while setting up and going into a turn and then letting off at the apex but this a bit more advanced technique that don't think many people use on the roadway.

I thought it was

Scan
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute

Did they swap Identify and Predict in the later versions of the class? It's been 21 years since I took the class., but I thought you had to first Identify a potential problem first...

devbolt said:
I thought it was

Scan
Identify
Predict
Decide
Execute

Did they swap Identify and Predict in the later versions of the class? It's been 21 years since I took the class., but I thought you had to first Identify a potential problem first...

You are correct.

It's SIPDE (not SPIDE). Reversed them in the description but use still them in the proper order in application. Long time since I took the course too.

Back