Self-sealing tires vs spare tire options

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I just find it hard to believe that the sealant hardens so fast inside the tire that it doesn't spray around when the wheel is turning again, ruining the sensor anyway. Nissan and Toyota goop replacement cans run about $175, and TPMS sensors more.

In fact it has to stay semi-liquid, otherwise it wouldn't fill up the hole in the tire. The stuff is definitely a last resort measure. Not sure if I'm going to spring for the kit.

LeftieBiker said:
You might want to buy a spare but keep it at home, so AAA can just bring the car there if you can't leave it at a shop.

Because AAA has rules about how far they will tow you.

samiam95124 said:
LeftieBiker said:
You might want to buy a spare but keep it at home, so AAA can just bring the car there if you can't leave it at a shop.

Because AAA has rules about how far they will tow you.
I don't know about AAA specifically, but there are a lot of roadside assistance packages that only cover a tow to the nearest repair facility.

I don't know about AAA specifically, but there are a lot of roadside assistance packages that only cover a tow to the nearest repair facility.

The drivers will often bend the rules, though, especially if home is closer than the nearest dealership.

I've got a Premier AAA membership which provides the following FREE tows: 1x200 miles and 3x100 miles per year. I once had my F250 w/a full sized camper towed back home from over 150 miles away for free using this benefit.

Even so, I wouldn't keep an extra wheel/tire in my garage so that I can get towed home to have it mounted on the car. Why bother? Just get towed to the nearest tire shop to fix or replace the tire which you'll eventually have to do anyway.

If there are NO tire shops open or located nearby, then I'd just ask to get towed home where I can remove the damaged wheel/tire and then take it to a tire shop later in my truck.

It would be more convenient to have that extra wheel/tire available in the latter situation but, since I have a floor jack, an air gun (impact wrench) and jack stands, it would be no problem for me to just remove the wheel/tire and put the car on a jack stand until I get the damaged tire replaced or repaired in due course.

The availability of space in which to store the extra whee/tire in my garage, on the other hand, would be a greater problem.

It's probably been mentioned here, but the Bolt is based on the Buick Encore/Chevy Trax. I've already confirmed they use the same rotors.
That said, a spare tire from one of those should not only fit the Bolt, but also fit in the well.

However, under the Styrofoam, I found three welded studs sticking up, maybe for a bracket or the jack itself (something the bolt also lacks). Add that to your list.

I hope the jack can lift the car in the same place.

Obviously, GM left off the spare to reduce weight to help get the highest mileage rating possible. Keep this in mind. Maybe carry it only on long distance trips where being stranded with a bent rim or a shredded tire is unfixable with tire goo.

My Leaf's tires lasted less than 19k miles. One tire sprung a leak too close to the edge and can't be repaired (a large chuck came off).

I got apprehensive about not having a spare, so I pieced a kit together to be stored under the false cargo floor. The donut is from a Chevy Cruze. 5x105 steel rim with T115/70R16 tire, which is 3.2" smaller in diameter than the stock tire. I figure if I keep the spare on the rear (swapping front/rear tires when needed) then it should be ok for temp use.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

I put a Harbor Freight pump in the location on the styrofoam where the OEM inflator kit would go.

The trick in putting together this kit is to find a scissor jack that works with the Bolt. The Bolt does not have traditional jacking points on the unibody pinch welds. It does have steel pads with alignment holes like on the Pontiac Solstice and C5 Corvette.

I found this Chevy S10 jack with a protrusion at the jacking pad that fits the alignment holes of the Bolt perfectly. As an added bonus, the S10 jack has a wider base and has a higher weight capacity, which will work better with the Bolt which weighs 4514 lbs.

That's the spot I used to swap out my tire after the sidewall exploded. Thanks for confirming I got the right spot :)

tk1971 said:
I got apprehensive about not having a spare, so I pieced a kit together to be stored under the false cargo floor. The donut is from a Chevy Cruze. 5x105 steel rim with T115/70R16 tire, which is 3.2" smaller in diameter than the stock tire. I figure if I keep the spare on the rear (swapping front/rear tires when needed) then it should be ok for temp use.

That should work. Just don't want different sized wheel/tires spinning on opposite sides of the FWD motor.

tk1971 said:
I put a Harbor Freight pump in the location on the styrofoam where the OEM inflator kit would go.

I broke down and bought an OEM compressor/sealant kit.

tk1971 said:
The trick in putting together this kit is to find a scissor jack that works with the Bolt. The Bolt does not have traditional jacking points on the unibody pinch welds. It does have steel pads with alignment holes like on the Pontiac Solstice and C5 Corvette.

I found this Chevy S10 jack with a protrusion at the jacking pad that fits the alignment holes of the Bolt perfectly. As an added bonus, the S10 jack has a wider base and has a higher weight capacity, which will work better with the Bolt

Nice find and good tip for those who want to carry a spare tire and jack. I'm never going to drive my Bolt far enough away for it to matter and will just rely on the OEM compressor/sealant kit and AAA to save me.

tk1971 said:
which weighs 4514 lbs.

Curb weight of a Bolt is reported to be 3580#.

tk1971 said:

Maybe you have it somewhere else, but where is your lug wrench?

Eriamjh1138 said:
Maybe you have it somewhere else, but where is your lug wrench?

Inside the little folding bag that I store inside the backpack. There are also 2 folding wheel chucks.

They're part of the Sonic/Cruze spare tire kit, along with the foam that doesn't fit my S10 Jack.

You have done your research and appear to have found all the right pieces.

Any particular year of S10 I should be looking at? I have access to a local auto salvage and jacks and spares are probably the things they have plenty of from wrecked or otherwise damaged cars. Most spares never get used.

Truthfully, I'm surprised that the Bolt didn't come with a free towing plan for the first 2-3 years like my 2001 PT Cruiser did (never needed it), especially since it does not come with a spare or even a foam filler kit! If my insurance really sucked (and it might), I'd be stuck if my rim got damaged on a Michigan PotholeTM. That was the only flat that required a spare that I had in the last 6 years (although I picked up a nail or two that I plugged myself).

Thanks for your information. It's very useful.

Eriamjh1138 said:
Any particular year of S10 I should be looking at? I have access to a local auto salvage and jacks and spares are probably the things they have plenty of from wrecked or otherwise damaged cars. Most spares never get used.

95-05 S10, Envoy, Bravada, Jimmy.

Just compare it to the picutre. As long as it has the dimple sticking out it should fit.

If you want to go fancy, the Hummer jack looks like it fits too.

Gentlemen, thank you for the good information. I'm taking a half way approach: on a long trip (I just traveled 1300 miles to Louisville and back) I'll carry a spare, but let OnStar or AAA do the changing, so I won't carry lug wrench or jack. Has anyone actually traveled on the 70R16 tire? Is it safe?

Neither. I take the spare out of my vehicles and carry a $5 plug kit and $15 tire inflator. I've never had damage to a tire that couldn't be fixed by a plug, and if I did, then I have a cell phone and friends.

It takes about 2 minutes to install a plug, but the slow part would be waiting for the cheapo inflator to fill the tire. Still possibly quicker than changing a tire.

I have read this thread with interest, thanks to all who have provided information! LOL I drive a lot of miles and I have had a lot of flat tires over the years. Being caught with no pump and no flat fixer of any kind sucks in my book.

Last week I had the tire pressure warning come on while driving to work. The right rear tire was low so I stopped at a gas station and put some air in. When I got to work I noticed a drywall screw in the tread very near the sidewall. I figured 'self sealing' so I got a screw driver and removed the screw. I borrowed a friends 12V compressor and aired the tire up. Unfortunately the tire still had a slow leak. I ended up having the car towed to the dealer and they said that the hole was too close to the sidewall to patch so I needed a new tire. $209 later I have my car back. Not so good for a car with 1000 miles on it... I am wondering why the self sealing stuff did not work as it does roll up the sidewall a little ways easily past the location of the screw? I guess that there is too much flexing going on there? For sure I will not spring for the self sealing tire again, I consider doing so on this tire another in a long list of lifetime mistakes!

Anyway my plan now is to buy a wheel and put a tire on it possibly the tire with the hole in it if I can put a plug in it and get it to hold air. When confronted with a flat tire I would rather change the tire myself and be on my way then to wait for a tow and have to deal with taking the car somewhere to get the tire fixed. Especially if I take the car on any kind of road trip.

If anybody out there has a stock rim they would like to sell please let me know!

ghn said:
I am wondering why the self sealing stuff did not work as it does roll up the sidewall a little ways easily past the location of the screw?

Anyway my plan now is to buy a wheel and put a tire on it possibly the tire with the hole in it if I can put a plug in it and get it to hold air.

I've never had good luck with slime for holes as major as a screw hole. One time, I put slime in a tire not knowing what object had punctured it. I found and removed a 9mm bullet, and there was no chance the goo could plug that hole. It just barfed it all over my garage floor.

Tire shops repair tires from the inside with a patch, which does not work well on sidewall/tread boundaries where there is much flexing. I'd have no problem using a plug though. Sure, even the plug kits say not to plug holes near the sidewall, but they are likely to hold up, and even if they didn't, air loss would be slow enough as to not be catastrophic.

Put that plug in your damaged tire and see how it holds up. You might be surprised.

redpoint5 said:
I've never had good luck with slime for holes as major as a screw hole. One time, I put slime in a tire not knowing what object had punctured it. I found and removed a 9mm bullet, and there was no chance the goo could plug that hole. It just barfed it all over my garage floor.

Tire shops repair tires from the inside with a patch, which does not work well on sidewall/tread boundaries where there is much flexing. I'd have no problem using a plug though. Sure, even the plug kits say not to plug holes near the sidewall, but they are likely to hold up, and even if they didn't, air loss would be slow enough as to not be catastrophic.

Put that plug in your damaged tire and see how it holds up. You might be surprised.

Wait... someone shot your tire and you were worried that your garage got sprayed with goo?

Back