What is this thing?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltron

Anybody know what this is? It is on the top of the dashboard in front of the driver. It looks like there are 6 LEDs in there.dash.JPG

Boltron said:
Anybody know what this is? It is on the top of the dashboard in front of the driver. It looks like there are 6 LEDs in there.

That is the visual alert for the frontal crash avoidance/braking system. When the camera see's a car and it's stopped/slower than you and you come
up to it and get close, it triggers the light to flash and you get an audible tone as well. It's alerting you of a potential collision.

You can also adjust the detection distance on the left pod of the steering wheel.

drdiesel1 said:
Boltron said:
Anybody know what this is? It is on the top of the dashboard in front of the driver. It looks like there are 6 LEDs in there.
That is the visual alert for the frontal crash avoidance/braking system. When the camera see's a car and it's stopped/slower than you and you come up to it and get close, it triggers the light to flash and you get an audible tone as well. It's alerting you of a potential collision.
(...and the part not mentioned) - when the system activates you see the reflection of these lights in on the windshield - it's a "HUD" (heads up display).

SeanNelson said:
drdiesel1 said:
Boltron said:
That is the visual alert for the frontal crash avoidance/braking system. When the camera see's a car and it's stopped/slower than you and you come up to it and get close, it triggers the light to flash and you get an audible tone as well. It's alerting you of a potential collision.
(...and the part not mentioned) - when the system activates you see the reflection of these lights in on the windshield - it's a "HUD" (heads up display).

Yes, it reflects off the glass. The windshield has a special reflective coating to make it visible to the driver.

That's a COOL feature that I never heard about b4.

The Tesla reservation holders who were longing for a HUD display in the M3 and are disappointed that it's apparently not going to hapoen would be really pissed that the Bolt has a HUD feature and tbe M3 won't.

Of course, they want a full featured HUD (not just one that activates in an emergency) but they'd be pissed just the same.

LOL!!!

sgt1372 said:
Of course, they want a full featured HUD (not just one that activates in an emergency) but they'd be pissed just the same.
Yeah, the reason that a HUD was rumoured for the Model 3 was because the interior of the prototype didn't have the usual instrument cluster showing speed, turn signals, battery state of charge, etc. etc. So people were speculating that these functions would be delivered via a heads-up display. If that were true, it would be a lot more sophisticated than the emergency braking indication that the Bolt offers.

But it sounds like the rumours were just that - rumours and not actual fact. The interior of the production version of the Model 3 is still a mystery - I would hope that it had a dedicated display for those indicators and that it isn't all just dumped onto the central screen. If the latter, they would be considerably out of your line of sight and less obvious to pick out among everything else on the display.

sgt1372 said:

It is only for the (optional) forward collision alert system. Basically, if it thinks you are about to crash into something, a bunch of red lights will show in the windshield.

boltage said:
sgt1372 said:

It is only for the (optional) forward collision alert system. Basically, if it thinks you are about to crash into something, a bunch of red lights will show in the windshield.

Yes, I got that but cool just the same.

boltage said:
sgt1372 said:

It's actually part of the collision avoidance (optional) system. The car will automatically brake if you're not paying attention.
You can turn it on/off in the software setup screen. I leave mine on, just in case :mrgreen:

Oh gosh, don't get me started on the HUD that we will not be getting on the model 3. I can't believe I cancelled my pre-order of navdy thinking I would have a HUD in the model 3.

I may eventually get used to the center screen of the model 3 when I take ownership of the vehicle but it's not going to be with a smile on my face. I want a speedometer front and center of my vision when driving and this Center screan nonsense is a real problem in my view. Anyway, this is a bolt forum, which I also have, so I will shut up about Tesla.

flamaest said:
I want a speedometer front and center of my vision when driving and this Center screan nonsense is a real problem in my view. Anyway, this is a bolt forum, which I also have, so I will shut up about Tesla.
Let me help bring you back then; I was considering a Model 3 until I saw that dash and that "shoe" looking front end. That's why I bought my Bolt instead. I may have been able to fashion a sticker or something to offset how hideous that front end was, but that dash... can't do it. Didn't buy that Saturn for the same reason, back in the day.

Just to add my two cents

IMHO, the Bolt's dash looks really good. I love the screen behind the steering wheel, and the way it displays the information you want. Clear, easy to read.

The Model 3's dash is a huge disappointment to me. I have no deposit down, but I was seriously considering the car. Right now the Bolt is ahead of the Model 3 on my list largely because of the dash (but also because of the reliability of the Model S versus the Volt gives me much higher confidence in the Bolt).

Fortunately, I am not in imminent need of a new car so I am waiting until I can test drive the Model 3. It will be a while, I know. Oh, and the next-gen Leaf could become a serious contender too.

Boltron said:

I don't think this was mentioned on other responses; it is part of the Confidence Package II 'safety' option; maybe only available on Premier model but not sure.

Back