Bloomberg video on battle between Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmvoltguy

-1x-1.jpg

Elon Musk keeps saying the Model 3 is competing more in the luxury segment, which I guess could be true if optioning out a Model 3 gets into the $50-$60K range.

However, when comparing apples to apples, we have to compare the base Model 3 which then gets into the Supercharger access vs non-supercharger access and the available this year, vs waiting until 2018 or longer since the higher-optioned Model 3s will be delivered first.

Here's the video: http://www.bloomberg.com/api/embed/iframe?id=VztGZSolR12PCdgh6vJAgg

Chevy will market the Bolt on its value and practical features. “Frivolous gadgets” won’t cut it, says Darin Gesse, marketing manager for electrified vehicles at GM. Are the falcon-wing doors on the Tesla Model X frivolous? “They’re in that neighborhood,” he says. Musk has said that the doors aren’t just for show; opening upward, they make it easier to get in and out of the car.

The Bolt vs Tesla Model 3 debate can rage on, but consumers are the beneficiary of both of these companies releasing cars that have good range and good price. As a Tesla owner and with a Model 3 reservation, I won't at all be looking at a Chevy, but I know people who'd rather have a Bolt now, than wait another year for the Model 3.

I understand the need for the press to compare, but in reality, comparing the two cars is rather pointless.

If these two vehicles were powered by gasoline, no journalist would be writing articles comparing a four door sports car with a trunk to a CUV with a hatchback. The only reason this is happening is because both cars are the first 200+ mile range vehicles in their segments.

And it will attract different people to the EV scene, which I think is good for everyone involved.

You're right, as the first 200+ mile non-Tesla EV, GM seems to be the first real competition for Tesla in the EV space.

We'll really see when we see how well GM will be pushing the Bolt EV. If they are stocking it on every dealership and there are ads everywhere, then we'll know they're making a profit and interested in selling it.

It comes down to whether or not EV owners are willing to sacrifice/trade style and functionality preferences just to be in an EV.

You're right, no one would ever compare a Honda Accord to a Nissan Versa, but if those were the only 2 choices, you'd likely see people comparing them. To take it one step farther, if there was only one type of orange, and only one type of apple, I bet you'd see more apples to oranges comparisons :)

If there are enough EV enthusiasts that are single-commute drivers, then perhaps sedan vs CUV makes no difference and it will come down to range VS price, then the Model 3 vs Chevrolet Bolt EV comparison really does matter. And in that case, it is much more believable that GM will ship the Bolt for $37,500 than it is that Tesla will ship the Model 3 for $35,000.

And even if Tesla does, in 2018 when the Model 3 is widely available, we'll be comparing the revised/facelifted Bolt EV to the Tesla Model 3, and that could render all of our current comparisons moot (sp?).

gmvoltguy said:
If there are enough EV enthusiasts that are single-commute drivers, then perhaps sedan vs CUV makes no difference and it will come down to range VS price, then the Model 3 vs Chevrolet Bolt EV comparison really does matter. And in that case, it is much more believable that GM will ship the Bolt for $37,500 than it is that Tesla will ship the Model 3 for $35,000.

Don't forget that when GM released the Volt, the Chevy dealerships were adding $5k, $10K, even $20K to the sticker price..... that doesn't even include all the dealer add-on games

http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevy-dealers-listing-marked-volts-high-65590-32649/#ixzz1E9yVtKWR

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2010/07/chevrolet-dealer-want-a-volt-thatll-be-an-extra-20k.html

That wasn't always the case. I leased my Volt 3 weeks after that article with a $600 break on cap cost.

Even if Tesla Model S is slightly better car, one must consider the price difference with Chevrolet Bolt EV! It's a significant difference.

Tell you what, drive a Tesla Model S, and then test drive a Bolt when it comes out. We'll let you decide if the Tesla S is "slightly better".

As a Tesla S85 owner, I've never enjoyed driving a car as much as this. Very much looking forward to the Model 3.

mark111 said:
Even if Tesla Model S is slightly better car, one must consider the price difference with Chevrolet Bolt EV! It's a significant difference.

The charging network will be just a bit more than "slightly" better. I already have a CCS enabled car, and hoooooooooo boy is that charging network sparse*! Always have to remember the Bolt does not have a gas backup like the Volt so this is a non-trivial difference.

*Except California. Lots of CCS already available there.

I continue to be unconcerned about the fact that cross country trips in a Bolt will be more difficult than in a supercharger enabled Tesla.

The main thing I care about is the energy I carry with me. My 80- mile class Focus will not do my normal commute unless I use workplace charging--which fortunately is available to me. A Bolt, on the other hand, will do anything I reasonably expect to do during a day, except for a cross country trip (meaning Las Vegas, San Diego, San Francisco, etc... I never expect to do a coast-to-coast trip in any car...I'll fly instead).

While the Supercharger maps look impressive, as far as I'm concerned they are like the cell phone coverage maps that show perfect LTE coverage in North Dakota...to me, it absolutely doesn't matter.

If I can fully recharge a Bolt overnight with my home L2 EVSE, I'm covered. Any trip that won't cover, I'll give my wife the Bolt that day and take the Volt.

I use about 25 kWh on a typical day. I expect to charge once daily (hopefully at work) and keep the SOC between 75% and 25%. That way, the battery will never be stressed and hopefully will demonstrate the same immunity to battery fade that my Volts have demonstrated. Only when I have a longer than usual day planned will I charge it fully. The battery is big enough that if for some reason I can't charge at work, I can still get home.

Fast charging...yawn

I have two EV's, one is a short range Smart ED, the other is a long range Tesla.

Never once road tripped the Smart, but our Tesla has been thousands of km of road trips. We've found we "create" reasons to road trip, as the fuel is included in the price of the car, and the car itself is so amazing to drive.

Tesla popularize the electric vehicle but Chevrolet Bolt will popularize four everyday drivers

Tesla is nearly two years away from selling its first somewhat affordable EV model

Chevrolet Bolt is projecting $7,500 in tax incentives by the time Tesla releases its affordable EV model those tax and credit incentives will be depleted

Guys, plenty of buyers will get the full $7500 tax rebate on their Model 3. Even when Telsa hits the cap the rebate is gradually ramped down. It's not like buyer 249,999 gets a $7500 rebate and 250,000 gets nothing. :roll:

I'm hoping the whole rebate scheme gets updated anyway. As it stands, the market leaders (GM, Tesla, Nissan) lose out. When their credits expire, the battery tech will have advanced even more, and competitors can jump on the bandwagon all while offering competitive products essentially $7500 cheaper.

I think the whole thing hangs on the next president (and congress, of course). Come 2017, we may see the whole thing overhauled, left as-is, or completely cancelled.

GetOffYourGas said:
I'm hoping the whole rebate scheme gets updated anyway. As it stands, the market leaders (GM, Tesla, Nissan) lose out. When their credits expire, the battery tech will have advanced even more, and competitors can jump on the bandwagon all while offering competitive products essentially $7500 cheaper.

I honestly think this is what Toyota is doing. Wait until Nissan/Tesla/GM's credits expire, then swoop in with a BEV for $7500 less.

Perhaps the rules should be changed so that the first few million vehicles or so get the rebate, regardless of manufacturer. This would encourage car makers to take advantage of the rebates sooner rather than later.

There really is no comparison between the Tesla Model S and the Chevrolet Volt the Tesla has an option for all-wheel drive and has overall better specifications than the Chevrolet Volt

Back