Canadians - post your order details!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMAdolt said:
If you do the math on how many people in BC or any similarly incentivised province buy a new car per year and then how many of those are electrics and how many of those can/want to scrap a car the number should shake out pretty low.
Yeah, I've thought about that too, but the wildcard is how many more would be willing to scrap their cars for $6000 vs $3000.

Just placed my order last night, I'm in Ottawa.

Fully loaded Premiere, black with black interior. Clicked pretty much every option.

Should get it in 8 weeks or less.

Replacing a 2005 Acura RSX Type S

PS - For whatever stupid reason, GM does not allow the black grilles on the black car. Only the silver.

If anyone would like to trade grilles (my silver for your black) let me know. I also got the black bowtie.

She gunn be murdered out. LOL

ArthurL said:
I filled out the first form on Scrapit web site two days ago (Friday) for the $6000 New EV option. Prior to that I exchanged emails with their office to make sure I understood the process;specifically the time line as I wasn't sure exactly when the vehicle would arrive. I was told they would give me an extension for the validity of the claim up to 90 days which would bring me out to mid May. My Bolt is due to be delivered prior to end of March so I went ahead and applied. From our email exchange this is what I expect. Because Monday is a holiday here I think Tuesday or Wednesday I will get my authorization code to confirm my place in the 500 units. I'll update here next week on the progress. Don't forget the $250 dealer rebate at purchase. So the total incentive in my case will be $11,250.

Received my authorization number from Scrapit today. I sent in my request last Friday. Only for 30 days but was told once I have approval number I can ask for an extension to 90 days by supplying a copy of the down payment receipt. Great program.

Wookie said:
PS - For whatever stupid reason, GM does not allow the black grilles on the black car. Only the silver.

If anyone would like to trade grilles (my silver for your black) let me know. I also got the black bowtie.
It may not have been available with the body color you selected.

If possible, definitely get the black grille. The silver variety is pretty hideous in person.

TomatoOne said:
Wookie said:

It may not have been available with the body color you selected.

If possible, definitely get the black grille. The silver variety is pretty hideous in person.

The silver only comes on the black painted car. The black grille comes on EVERYTHING else.

There is no option to get the black grille on the black car.

I'm gonna wrap it in a carbon fibre wrap.

ArthurL said:
ArthurL said:
I filled out the first form on Scrapit web site two days ago (Friday) for the $6000 New EV option. Prior to that I exchanged emails with their office to make sure I understood the process;specifically the time line as I wasn't sure exactly when the vehicle would arrive. I was told they would give me an extension for the validity of the claim up to 90 days which would bring me out to mid May. My Bolt is due to be delivered prior to end of March so I went ahead and applied. From our email exchange this is what I expect. Because Monday is a holiday here I think Tuesday or Wednesday I will get my authorization code to confirm my place in the 500 units. I'll update here next week on the progress. Don't forget the $250 dealer rebate at purchase. So the total incentive in my case will be $11,250.

Received my authorization number from Scrapit today. I sent in my request last Friday. Only for 30 days but was told once I have approval number I can ask for an extension to 90 days by supplying a copy of the down payment receipt. Great program.

Scrapit. Sent request off uesterday for the 90 extension on New Car incentive by providing my down payment receipt. Got approval today. Extreamly efficient operation. Bravo Scrapit.

Wookie wrote:
Just placed my order last night, I'm in Ottawa.

Fully loaded Premiere, black with black interior. Clicked pretty much every option.

Should get it in 8 weeks or less.
Congrats.
I placed an order in Toronto 6 weeks ago and am still at code 1100 (order placed at dealership). Hoping for code 1101 (order entered into system) even if that is a long way from code 4200 (vehicle shipped).
You likely choose a better dealer than I did.
My 2013 Leaf is a fine car, just wanting something with a bit more range. I am also hoping that I will receive the car before another 8 weeks pass.

Hi everyone - first post. I'm from Peterborough, ON and just ordered my Bolt on 18Feb17 from a dealer in Toronto that had 3 spots left in their initial allotment. Hope that means my bolt will get built sooner rather than later (wishful thinking). I ordered the Premier in Cajun red with all the options. I'm waiting for the dealership to get me an order number so that I can start bugging Chevy corporate directly about my car. I was really happy to see the Ontario rebate was $14k for this car! Woot woot!

Now I just have to decide on a home charger...

Spitfire said:
Now I just have to decide on a home charger...
There are a lot of chargers to choose from. If you're planning to claim the EVSE installation rebate, then the wiring has to be done by a certified electrician, the charger needs to be purchased from a Canadian retailer (amazon.com may not be acceptable), and be CUL/UL listed. You can claim up to 50% of installation and charger cost, up to $500 each.

It may not actually be worth it. We looked into it when we got our first EV, got some estimates from local contractors and the totals came to nearly CAD $2000 combined as electricians familiar with EV installs were aware of the rebate and visibly inflated their estimates.

In the end, I DIY'd the wiring, had it safetied (an EV outlet inspection fee is only $79) and built an Open EVSE kit.

Excellent - thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with the EVDuty40. It's $699, so $350 after the discount. I have a while to make up my mind though. I'm just wondering if I should pony up for a 50 or 60amp charger to future proof my charger. But I suspect I could always sell the 40amp model if I need to in the future. Ahhh, decisions.... lol

Spitfire said:
Excellent - thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with the EVDuty40. It's $699, so $350 after the discount. I have a while to make up my mind though. I'm just wondering if I should pony up for a 50 or 60amp charger to future proof my charger. But I suspect I could always sell the 40amp model if I need to in the future. Ahhh, decisions.... lol

What is most important is to make sure that the WIRING can support the heavier current. The price difference is not that big (in %), since installation is a substantial part of the cost, and it's not as if the price of the larger gauge wires is twice as much. (If you don't have to pull new wires for a 40A unit, but DO for a 50A or 60A unit, then the price difference could be substantial.)

SparkE said:
Spitfire said:

What is most important is to make sure that the WIRING can support the heavier current. The price difference is not that big (in %), since installation is a substantial part of the cost, and it's not as if the price of the larger gauge wires is twice as much. (If you don't have to pull new wires for a 40A unit, but DO for a 50A or 60A unit, then the price difference could be substantial.)

Fortunately when I purchased our house 2 years ago, the previous owners took their hot tub with them, leaving a nice long cable already attached to a 60amp breaker in the panel. Looks like it's going to be very easy to reroute it to the garage from the exterior. That'll save me quite a bit of $$$ for the install. :D

Spitfire said:
SparkE said:
Spitfire said:

Fortunately when I purchased our house 2 years ago, the previous owners took their hot tub with them, leaving a nice long cable already attached to a 60amp breaker in the panel. Looks like it's going to be very easy to reroute it to the garage from the exterior. That'll save me quite a bit of $$$ for the install. :D

Check that tech cable, most hot tubs don't run that hot and it could be way under sized for a 60 amp breaker, I believe 60 amp requires 6 gauge copper, not sure about aluminum, double check is all I'm saying.

Also I've not looked up your products but anything rated at 60 amps may ether be actually providing less than or drawing more requiring a larger breaker. Anything actually providing 60 amps to your car will not have 100% power efficiency and will be drawing more than 60 amps.

I was looking into getting an EVSE portable multi plug that'll auto adjust to 120/240 voltages and has adjustable amperage settings, it's $300ish US (posted in the tech section of this forum). The higher charge setting is about 30 or so amps which requires a 40 amp or higher plug.

I had a look at the cable and it's 1000V #6 AWG 3C NORTHERN CABLES TECK90 armoured cable, using copper. That should be sufficient for any of the home EVSE's on the market. I have a friend who is an electrician so I'll seek out his advise as well prior to purchase.

I guess one of the key points was that a 60 amp charger may require a larger then 60 amp circuit.

IMAdolt said:
I guess one of the key points was that a 60 amp charger may require a larger then 60 amp circuit.

Very true. Here in Ontario we get a 50% rebate on the cost of an EVSE as well as a 50% rebate on the install of one. There are select EVSE's that are approved for the rebate though so when all is said and done, I think that will be the deciding factor and not the size of the cable or breaker. I just want to maximize the best bang for my buck. :)

Hold the phone! Sun Country Highway is an approved EVSE manufacturer and they have a product called the EV60. It's a 48 amp EVSE outputting at 11.5kW. Here's the brochure - http://www.suncountryhighway.com/Content/EditorUploads/files/SCH_EV60_Brochure(1).pdf

It requires a 60amp breaker which is exactly the set up I have already present. Can I assume that the Bolt will accept the 11.5kW charge rate from a lvl 2? If so that would reduce the standard charge time of 9 hrs down to about 5.5 hrs at my home. That would be most excellent as long as it takes the 11.5kW.....

Spitfire said:
Can I assume that the Bolt will accept the 11.5kW charge rate from a lvl 2? If so that would reduce the standard charge time of 9 hrs down to about 5.5 hrs at my home. That would be most excellent as long as it takes the 11.5kW.....
The Bolt will accept a maximum of 32A of charge current, which at 240V would give you a little more than 7.6KW. It will work with an 11+KW EVSE, but it won't draw EVSE's full capacity.

SeanNelson said:
Spitfire said:
Can I assume that the Bolt will accept the 11.5kW charge rate from a lvl 2? If so that would reduce the standard charge time of 9 hrs down to about 5.5 hrs at my home. That would be most excellent as long as it takes the 11.5kW.....
The Bolt will accept a maximum of 32A of charge current, which at 240V would give you a little more than 7.6KW. It will work with an 11+KW EVSE, but it won't draw EVSE's full capacity.

Ahhhh, I get it now. The Bolt max's out at 7.6kW when using the J1772 plug. In order to get anything more than the 7.6kW requires using the DC plug which lvl 2's don't use. That's a shame. Using that 11.5kW charger would have been nice. That being said, I'll save quite a bit of money buying an EVSE only capable of the 7.6kW. Thanks for the clarification!

Back