HOV Sticker Delay

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi- I wonder if anyone has ever drove to Sacramento DMV in CA to wait in line and pick up their sticker? I'm having so much trouble with the dealer who completely screwed up and just re-apply this week for the sticker, and I purchased my car in January. At this rate the sticker will not be available until May. I have an 80 mile round trip commute on highway 101 and it is driving me nuts sitting in traffic watching others with stickers drive by. Thanks in advance.

I'm in almost the exact same boat and really irritated with my dealer.

They claim the DMV is delaying but I don't think they ever even applied for the stickers at all. I finally gave up on them and mailed in my own application about 2 weeks ago.

I didn't know that visiting the DMV to pick up the stickers was an option.

I applied directly and haven't heard a thing from Sac. ??? It's been almost 2 months now :eek:
They cashed my check on 2/24/17, so I can only guess it's typical DMV foot dragging :x

Same here. I actually got a call from the dealer that it was being fedexed. Did not quite get what and to whom, but so far I've seen diddly squat.

Got my stickers 20 days after buying the car.
(First week of Feb. Had stickers 4th week of Feb.)
Dealer filed all the paperwork and paid the $22 fee on my behalf.

Which Dealer are you having delays with?

I called the DMV in Sacramento at 916-657-8035, there is a long wait but you can choose to get a call back. Give them your License Plate number or VIN number and they will be able to see if the sticker has been applied for.

Hi Klowenst- I just read your posts and notice you have the problem with Gilroy Chevrolet which is where I have my issue has well as my friend as well. They said they applied January 10 but still nothing, what is strange is my friend and I applied two weeks ago and he received a letter yesterday from the DMV saying they issued the sticker on Feb 4 to Gilroy Chevrolet, he went to the dealer last night and they do not know anything. The manager at the dealer Irving first was telling me that GM (General Motors) called him to say there was a two month delay which is BS because 1) how would GM know and 2) They have cars in the dealer showroom with stickers now . Now the Irving says the CHP is putting holds on the sticker.. I recommend you call the General Manager Joe Lopez, which is what I plan to do as well.

1975 said:
Hi Klowenst- I just read your posts and notice you have the problem with Gilroy Chevrolet which is where I have my issue has well as my friend as well. They said they applied January 10 but still nothing, what is strange is my friend and I applied two weeks ago and he received a letter yesterday from the DMV saying they issued the sticker on Feb 4 to Gilroy Chevrolet, he went to the dealer last night and they do not know anything. The manager at the dealer Irving first was telling me that GM (General Motors) called him to say there was a two month delay which is BS because 1) how would GM know and 2) They have cars in the dealer showroom with stickers now . Now the Irving says the CHP is putting holds on the sticker.. I recommend you call the General Manager Joe Lopez, which is what I plan to do as well.

Hi 1975 - Thanks for the info, I have an update as well.

I also received a letter form the DMV that my application was denied because the stickers were issued to Gilroy Chevy on Feb. 4th!!! :eek:
I tried to reach Joe Lopez but no one returned my voicemail so I went into the dealership and was able to speak with Dona from the "Business Office". She is the one who has been trying to get the stickers and seems to be the most direct contact at the dealership for this issue.

She explained that there are 5 sets of stickers that were ordered together by the dealership on Jan 4th. They waited for quite some time and eventually submitted a second application after nothing arrived from the DMV. Their second application is bound to be rejected just like mine was and also your friend. I gave Dona a copy of my rejection letter and the only explanation we could agree on is that the original stickers were lost in the mail or misplaced somewhere at the dealership.

I gave her the phone number for the special processing unit at the DMV. She will call them and see what to do next. I think she will have to submit another application, but this time indicate "Replacement Decals" instead of "Original Decals". The clock should start again now.

Disappointing, but I'm happy to have contact at the dealership now that seems to care and hopefully will stay engaged.

BTW - My rejection letter came with a "Clean Air Vehicle Decal Certificate" that includes the decal number that was issued for my Bolt and my VIN.

It says to keep it in the vehicle and "Present to any peace officer upon demand".

It's tempting to drive in the carpool lane now that I have this certificate but I would have to get pulled over in the first place to showed it, which is a pain in its own right and the decal number will show up as cancelled at some point, once the replacements are issued (but before I received them).

I'm interested in any thoughts on doing this. Would you?

My stickers came in the mail today. I ordered my own after my Lic Plates came in. It was issued on Feb 16th 2017

The CA DMV site specifically stated that you'll need to have a license registration and plate number to order them.
This could be why they're being held up. Ordered without a plate number and had to wait until the registration was complete
before issuing them :idea:

You Might Want to Verify the Motive Power (MP) Designation on your Regristration!

Per CA DMV New Vehicle Dealer Registration Instructions:

"Section 6.010
Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397)

Motive Power
Enter the motive power for all vehicles.
The fuel types are:

D=Diesel
E=Electric

G=Gasoline
M=Methanol
N=Natural Gas
P=Propane
Q=Hybrid
R=Hydrogen Fuel Cell

For all trailers, use motive power code “0” (zero)"

Dealers tend to populate the field with "G" out of habit. Especially Chevrolet dealers to which this is their first pure electric vehicle. (not counting the EV-1 of decades ago)

Without the proper motive power code, your application for HOV stickers will be rejected. This simple mistake can take months to correct. I speak from first hand experience when a Honda dealer coded the MP as "Q" (hybrid) on my natural gas civic. It was a mess.

It might be wise to verify the code with the finance guy at the dealership while he it generating the DMV paperwork.

monkeytreats said:
Dealers tend to populate the field with "G" out of habit. Especially Chevrolet dealers to which this is their first pure electric vehicle. (not counting the EV-1 of decades ago

Chevrolet dealers were selling Spark EVs before the Bolt.

They also sell various hybrids as well as diesel trucks, so G is not universal to them. Of course, they could still make a mistake.

Got the stickers. I save the left large one, put up the small one in the back and the large one right rear. I don't like the car all stickered up. Two stickers are plenty for me.

I used level to mark the right rear spot, the area's shape fools the eyes and it ends up crooked. The rear small one is easy, there is a narrow spot next to the right stop light.

I recommend cleaning the spot with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and drying it thoroughly before application.

Also, I put Klasse treatment over the attached stickers for added durability. These things like to start peeling at the edges after couple of years.

I received a letter in the mail today from the DMV stating they issued the stickers to the Dealer on February 4, the odd thing is whenever I call the DMV processing office and provide my license plate number they always says they see nothing in the system as far as a sticker being applied for. This letter i received was a rejection of my Feb 16 application, since the DMV sees nothing in the system I applied as original sticker and not replacement sticker, hence the rejection. I just called again last Thursday and the person gave me a physical DMV address to send another application to, I sent with a tracking number and plan to call again Monday. But this is the oddest thing I've experienced.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

iletric said:
Got the stickers. I save the left large one, put up the small one in the back and the large one right rear. I don't like the car all stickered up. Two stickers are plenty for me.

I used level to mark the right rear spot, the area's shape fools the eyes and it ends up crooked. The rear small one is easy, there is a narrow spot next to the right stop light.

I recommend cleaning the spot with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and drying it thoroughly before application.

Also, I put Klasse treatment over the attached stickers for added durability. These things like to start peeling at the edges after couple of years.

While you likely won't ever get pulled over for having the wrong number of stickers on the car, or in the wrong place, there is the chance that if you did get pulled over for some other reason and the police officer was in a mood, you could get written up for not having the stickers correctly on the car. My advice, put the third sticker on where it is supposed to go.

Good advice about throughly cleaning the spot where you place the stickers. I chose to put the stickers on the smooth painted metal surfaces and not the rough black plastic area.

Even after 10-plus years, the yellow stickers on my 2005 Prius have never peeled, or even threatened to do so, because of properly prepping the area. Green stickers on my 2012 Plug-in Prius are still on solid after 5 years.

I got my stickers today!

Bought car on Feb 4
Got plates on Feb 20
Applied for stickers Feb 21
Received them Mar 15 (about 22 days)

Back