The seats are a deal killer.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iletric said:
flamaest said:
Do not buy the LT trim without the leather wheel. OMG.
It's more like, do not buy or lease LT, period. Premier only.

Just because of the seats?

I like my LT (seat and all) just fine and saw no reason to pay more for a Premier for things I didn't want/need. Don't need all of the expensive, complex hi-tech nanny driving devices. Also, leather seats do not "breathe" well and, if not cared for properly (few seldom are), will crack and split over time.

I also didn't like the look of the wheels on a Premier compared w/an LT. On top of that I'm leasing my Bolt and have no intention of buying at lease end; the lower cost of the lease on an LT was a major selling point.

So, didn't see the reason to pay the extra $3-4k for a Premier and I imagine others choose an LT for similar reasons.

scbolt said:
For those of you using some kind of padding or other additions on top of the seat to make them comfortable, I am guessing you are not being able to use the seat heating feature with those, right? Kind of an obvious question, but still wanted to make sure.

Yet another reason GM needs to fix this instead of having customers relying on aftermarket pads and covers. I can see the headlines now, "rash of Bolt fires" due to covers on seats igniting when running the auto-cabin-preheat feature...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Manual says not to, could overheat.

I've been doing it anyway, had not seen that in the manual. There were no problems. I'm using a relatively thin cover on the seat bottom only, not the seat back. I think I could feel some heat from the bottom, as well as regular heat from the back. I'm in Southern California, so really have little need for the seat heat, and probably none for the next 9 or 10 months.

I was disappointed with the seats on display at late 2016 auto shows.
I HATED the seats on two test drives.
Then I realized the seats were hit or miss.
BECAUSE I GOT A GOOD COMFORTABLE ONE.
There is ever growing evidence there were some good ones and some bad ones during the first few thousand cars made. Leather or cloth. Heated or not heated has little to do with it. ( I think. )

Those of you still waiting will have the benefit of knowing this. SHOP AROUND AND COMPARE if you think you got a bad one. Take one home OFF THE LOT you are happy with. Even if you pre-order, you are under no obligation to accept the car once it arrives.

Chevy is aware, and if possible, there will be no more "bad ones" hitting dealerships.

gpsman said:
I was disappointed with the seats on display at late 2016 auto shows.
I HATED the seats on two test drives.
Then I realized the seats were hit or miss.
BECAUSE I GOT A GOOD COMFORTABLE ONE.
There is ever growing evidence there were some good ones and some bad ones during the first few thousand cars made. Leather or cloth. Heated or not heated has little to do with it. ( I think. )

Those of you still waiting will have the benefit of knowing this. SHOP AROUND AND COMPARE if you think you got a bad one. Take one home OFF THE LOT you are happy with. Even if you pre-order, you are under no obligation to accept the car once it arrives.

Chevy is aware, and if possible, there will be no more "bad ones" hitting dealerships.

This is great to hear! I won't get my Bolt for at least another 3+ months, so I am **really** hoping that Chevy gets to the bottom of this by then (hopefully much sooner) and makes sure not a single more Bolt being shipped has a bad seat!!!

Bought our LT yesterday and spent the afternoon driving it. The passengers seat feels a little wider but the drivers seat doesn't bother me. If I take stuff out of my back pocket it's fine. I weigh 220# and have a 38" waist. My wife was pretty bothered with the drivers seat but liked the passengers seat

Lumpy12 said:
My wife was pretty bothered with the drivers seat but liked the passengers seat
GM, now how it THAT possible? What have you got going on there? Recall, please!

iletric said:
Lumpy12 said:
My wife was pretty bothered with the drivers seat but liked the passengers seat
GM, now how it THAT possible? What have you got going on there? Recall, please!

Supposedly the bolster is wider on the left side of the driver's seat, to accommodate the airbag. I'm not sure about the passenger seat.

SeanNelson said:
I'd like to point out that even if all seats were identical, people who found them to be uncomfortable or even painful would still be "correct". Comfort is a subjective state, and just because you (for example) are comfortable in the seat does not guarantee that everyone else will be.

While true, it does appear that GM has a quality control issue on their hands. The guy who sat in a bunch of Bolts put in perspective what 25 pages of posts couldn't: One butt, twelve different cars, different results. This isn't just a case of personal preference...it seems that getting a Bolt with a "comfortable" seat depends somewhat on random chance.

It's very likely that GM will issue a TSB / recall and fix it.

I am 215 lbs, 6'1" and the seats are not an issue for me. Compared to some comparably priced vehicles I think they did a good job. For driving around town and saving all of that gas money I would sit on an orange crate!

Thanks!
Beginning to wonder if I should buy it after reading all of the posts about the uncomfortable seats.

You need to go to a dealership and decide for yourself.

I'm 6'1" and 190#. I bought the Premier (with leather) practically sight-unseen. I have no problem with the seats and have gone on long journeys.

You definitely want to sit in the seats for at least as long as your normal everyday drive. I would allow at least a half hour of seat time before purchasing or leasing.

Also, you might want to try different cars if you find the first seat too uncomfortable. According to one individual, not all Bolt seats are made the same. So like Goldilocks, you have to find the seat that is just right.

Thanks for the input! I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs.
I have a feeling it won't be an issue with me.
Plus, my longest trips are to and from the airport, about 30 miles each way.
People complained about the Leaf seats and I think they're fine.

z0ner said:
I'm 6'1" and 190#. I bought the Premier (with leather) practically sight-unseen. I have no problem with the seats and have gone on long journeys.
6'-1/2" here, although much heavier (that is a bigger "ask not what your country should do for YOU!").

I have not even bothered to read the threads on the seats.

I have driven 3,000 miles since January 3rd and am very comfortable sitting in my seat for long periods of driving!

I especially like the feeling of the lumbar support on my back!

From another topic:

People complained about the LEAF seats and I think they're fine.

What was the complaint? Leaf seats are generally liked. It's the headrests that cause issues.

In another thread one owner heard a rattle under the seat. Upon investigating, one bolt that holds the seat to the floor was missing!!!!

Today, on a 60 degree day MY SEAT HEATER CAME ON BY ITSELF AND I had NO WAY TO SHUT IT OFF!!!
:evil:

IT WAS SO INCOMFORTABLE AND I WAS ON THE FREEWAY AND COULDN'T reboot the car for 30 minutes!!

Yes I read the manual and I know about the auto feature. I know everything about it.

This is a CONFIRMED system glitch, software freeze, NOT human error. Just like the radio freezing up some times. Just like the entire head unit freezing up sometimes.

( Now I feel I need to install a physical disconnect swirch to override the system. I have half a mind to storm down to the dealer and DEMAND they put in this manual switch power interrupt) at thier expense.

Love how the car drives.
The head unit / software is very buggy. There are dozens of reports like mine.

gpsman said:
In another thread one owner heard a rattle under the seat. Upon investigating, one bolt that holds the seat to the floor was missing!!!!

Today, on a 60 degree day MY SEAT HEATER CAME ON BY ITSELF AND I had NO WAY TO SHUT IT OFF!!!
:evil:

IT WAS SO INCOMFORTABLE AND I WAS ON THE FREEWAY AND COULDN'T reboot the car for 30 minutes!!

Yes I read the manual and I know about the auto feature. I know everything about it.

This is a CONFIRMED system glitch, software freeze, NOT human error. Just like the radio freezing up some times. Just like the entire head unit freezing up sometimes.

( Now I feel I need to install a physical disconnect swirch to override the system. I have half a mind to storm down to the dealer and DEMAND they put in this manual switch power interrupt) at thier expense.

Love how the car drives.
The head unit / software is very buggy. There are dozens of reports like mine.

That sucks about the heater stuck on.
Here is my 2 cents, I would have pulled over on shoulder on interstate. Reboot car.
Now before someone says "that's not safe". Yes it is. What happens when a cop pulls you over??
When I hit various buttons(cruise control, vol, call voice control) my car play , playing pandora, will stop and Sirius will start playing. Some little glitch there.
Hope you heater works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back