The seats are a deal killer.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LeftieBiker said:
From another topic:

People complained about the LEAF seats and I think they're fine.

What was the complaint? Leaf seats are generally liked. It's the headrests that cause issues.

Yeah, I like my LEAF seats fine, even though it's the S. And anyhoo, in a LEAF you can't drive for long without having to stop to recharge :D.

gpsman said:
In another thread one owner heard a rattle under the seat. Upon investigating, one bolt that holds the seat to the floor was missing!!!!

Today, on a 60 degree day MY SEAT HEATER CAME ON BY ITSELF AND I had NO WAY TO SHUT IT OFF!!!
:evil:

So sorry about the seat heater, that seems pretty bad.. I wonder if it could be related to the cabin pre-heat option going haywire. Maybe you should try and de-select the cabin pre-heat option in the car's settings and see if the issue comes back. Of course, this should not have happened to begin with....

Lastly, could we trouble you to see if you can Please take a picture of the missing bolt under the seat so others can check their own cars? My seat also creaks sometimes but it would seem to be coming from the seat back.

Still feel these front Bolt LT seats are quite uncomfortable, and have been racking my brains trying to figure out where all the squeaking is coming from.

Today after I parked my car, I very carefully looked around the seat-back to see if there was something loose or misaligned that was causing the seat to be uncomfortable and also squeak. I can't believe I found this, please see the picture below. My seat back is essentially falling apart and the car has less than 600 miles on it. I am NOT a heavy or very large person.

View attachment IMG_0152-small.jpg

I really don't think the build quality of this seat is representative of any new vehicle from any manufacturer. I understand that the airbag is located in the position of this picture, but this should not be easily pulled apart, and I am putting very little force into this, and just want to let everyone know.

GM needs to step up and give us better seats. This is not very good.

flamaest said:
I really don't think the build quality of this seat is representative of any new vehicle from any manufacturer. GM needs to step up and give us better seats. This is not very good.

Yeah, that's pretty brutal. I honestly haven't seen anything like this - ever.

As much as I used to make the argument that the car is overall a great value considering the big battery and other expensive electric bits, the fact of the matter is that no other car in this price range comes with seats as bargain-basement cheap as these. You're experiencing this after only 600 miles. What will it be like after 20,000 miles?

Amber, are you listening? This should be a recall, and nipped in the bud sooner than later. It will be a LOT less expensive for GM to fix the ~2500 Bolts on the road than it will to fix 25,000 of them next year.

The front seat was so uncomfortable for me that I decided I wasn't going to buy the car. But after weeks of contemplating and loving everything else about the car, I decided to take the plunge, while hoping I would either get used to the seats or perhaps end up finding an upholstery shop to fix them.

Well, I've now had the car for a month. I couldn't take it any longer, so off to the auto upholstery shop I went.

Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this sooner, as the extra padding made a huge difference. The passenger seat felt fine to my wife and I, so I decided to hold off and not do that one. Maybe the passenger seat is not as bad because it doesn't have the adjustable seat height?

Anyway, the shop added some extra padding to the seat, which raises you slightly higher, just enough so the plastic base seating isn't poking at you.

Btw, I'm in San Diego and took my shop less than 2 hours to call me back telling me it was completed. It was the best $125 I spent in a long time.

Sqwalker said:
The front seat was so uncomfortable for me that I decided I wasn't going to buy the car. But after weeks of contemplating and loving everything else about the car, I decided to take the plunge, while hoping I would either get used to the seats or perhaps end up finding an upholstery shop to fix them.

Well, I've now had the car for a month. I couldn't take it any longer, so off to the auto upholstery shop I went.

Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this sooner, as the extra padding made a huge difference. The passenger seat felt fine to my wife and I, so I decided to hold off and not do that one. Maybe the passenger seat is not as bad because it doesn't have the adjustable seat height?

Anyway, the shop added some extra padding to the seat, which raises you slightly higher, just enough so the plastic base seating isn't poking at you.

Btw, I'm in San Diego and took my shop less than 2 hours to call me back telling me it was completed. It was the best $125 I spent in a long time.

Does the car have the cloth or leather seats?

flamaest said:
Still feel these front Bolt LT seats are quite uncomfortable, and have been racking my brains trying to figure out where all the squeaking is coming from.

Today after I parked my car, I very carefully looked around the seat-back to see if there was something loose or misaligned that was causing the seat to be uncomfortable and also squeak. I can't believe I found this, please see the picture below. My seat back is essentially falling apart and the car has less than 600 miles on it. I am NOT a heavy or very large person.

I really don't think the build quality of this seat is representative of any new vehicle from any manufacturer. I understand that the airbag is located in the position of this picture, but this should not be easily pulled apart, and I am putting very little force into this, and just want to let everyone know.

Bring it to a dealer and have them order new seats, under warranty. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

Posatronic said:
Now before someone says "that's not safe". Yes it is. What happens when a cop pulls you over??

I had to comment on this. What happens when a cop pulls you over on an interstate? Both you AND the cop are then in an unsafe situation. Highways are incredibly dangerous due to the fact that people are going very fast and are often not paying close attention to the road. This is especially true now with smart phones and large screens in people's cars. All it takes is a split second for someone traveling at 70+ miles an hour to swerve 3 or 4 feet and side swipe you while you're sitting there playing with a reboot. Get off the highway if you need to stop.

It happens all the time: quick youtube search...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3oqdxa6cs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SexsvIO4vE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqFztJ6kv0

SparkE said:
flamaest said:

Bring it to a dealer and have them order new seats, under warranty. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

I called the dealer and they are going to do everything they can to resolve this issue, however in terms of replacing the seat, that's probably the extent of what they can do. I have sat and other bolts with the same trim level and they all have uncomfortable seats. I'm not sure replacing the seat with an identical unit is going to create a satisfactory resolution. I really think GM needs to do something at this stage.

hightower82" I had to comment on this. What happens when a cop pulls you over on an interstate? Both you AND the cop are then in an unsafe situation. Highways are incredibly dangerous due to the fact that people are going very fast and are often not paying close attention to the road. This is especially true now with smart phones and large screens in people's cars. All it takes is a split second for someone traveling at 70+ miles an hour to swerve 3 or 4 feet and side swipe you while you're sitting there playing with a reboot. Get off the highway if you need to stop. It happens all the time: quick youtube search... [/quote said:
I'm confused, is this showing something about the seats in the bolt?

flamaest said:
GM will do exactly nothing. The reason? The seat issue does not endanger the occupants. Bad seats will cause no accidents. We're on our own, and GM could care less.

Right, Mary? (Mary Barra, that is.)

RIght.

I think I too will have to take the leather seats to upholstery shop and see what they can do with both of them. Just sat in our Bolt today for a short ride. It's unbelievable. The seats are truly, awfully uncomfortable. I fidgeted for a while and then just gave up. Ugh!

For those of you thinking of getting the seats improved at auto upholstery shops, what about the seat heating feature? Will that continue to work afterwards?

iletric said:
flamaest said:
GM will do exactly nothing. The reason? The seat issue does not endanger the occupants. Bad seats will cause no accidents. We're on our own, and GM could care less.

Right, Mary? (Mary Barra, that is.)

RIght.

I think I too will have to take the leather seats to upholstery shop and see what they can do with both of them. Just sat in our Bolt today for a short ride. It's unbelievable. The seats are truly, awfully uncomfortable. I fidgeted for a while and then just gave up. Ugh!

Unfortunately you might just be right.

I have leather seats. I told the upholstery shop that I had heated seats, thinking that may be an issue, but they told me "no big deal".

Now that the seat is completed, I'll test out the heated seats tomorrow to make sure they still work as normal and then report back.

Regarding seat replacements, I figure GM isn't going to do anything. However, I did call them 3 weeks ago and filed a seat complaint, which they noted. And I talked to 3-4 dealers regarding the seats. Of course they all said it was the first they ever heard about this issue, and that no other customer has complained or mentioned the seats beng a problem. In fact, I would dare say they didn't seem to care a whole lot....especially if you didn't buy the Bolt EV through them.

Btw, I did take a few pictures of my new padded seat and tried uploading, but this site said my image was too big, even after I tried scaling it down. Maybe I don't have permissions?

Sqwalker said:
Btw, I did take a few pictures of my new padded seat and tried uploading, but this site said my image was too big, even after I tried scaling it down. Maybe I don't have permissions?

Would love to see the photos of your improved seats. Any chance you could upload then to Google Drive or another image sharing service and share a link here?

Photobucket gives you easy code to copy and paste that lets you post a clickable thumbnail here, so the actual photo can be large and it still won't choke browsers using DSL when this page loads.

Sqwalker said:

I've tried Photobucket but it's so damn slow loading/navigating/doing anything that I gave up on it. Instead, I'd recommend getting a free account with Imgur and using their service instead. Adding photos is as easy as drag & drop, and they have an easy option of simply copying the BB code and pasting it into your post.

Google Drive works very well, or you can also create an album on Facebook and make it public so others can see it whether they are on Facebook or not. Then you can post the link here and we can see the images.

I posted a bunch of pictures on my Google Drive of the new driver seat extra padding. However, you may find it difficult to even notice a difference, so compare it to my passenger seat - which I left unaltered. You can see that the middle portion of the driver seat bottom is a little puffier now. It may not look like much, but it made a big difference.

Here's the link...(hopefully this works).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7rDRQIfuwfTMzVnN1hkNUpJRk0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back