The seats are a deal killer.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sqwalker said:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7rDRQIfuwfTMzVnN1hkNUpJRk0

The link works for me. That installation looks great, I would never guess it wasn't factory. So does the extra padding actually cover the plastic side rail?

Sqwalker said:
I posted a bunch of pictures on my Google Drive of the new driver seat extra padding. However, you may find it difficult to even notice a difference, so compare it to my passenger seat - which I left unaltered. You can see that the middle portion of the driver seat bottom is a little puffier now. It may not look like much, but it made a big difference.

Here's the link...(hopefully this works).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7rDRQIfuwfTMzVnN1hkNUpJRk0

Did you have the seat altered only on the seat bottom, or also on the backrest?

Yes, I think it does. Before, I squirmed around in my seat a lot, partly because the left side bothered me, and the other part because I'm a little hyper. Now, I barely feel the left side (maybe ever so slightly, but probably only because I don't sit exactly straight), so it's a marked improvement.

I only had the bottom seat padded, as I'm okay with the backrest.

Don't get me wrong, I still hope that GM does a recall and replaces these front seats, as they should do. But at least I can live with this until they do.....please Mary B., press that recall button.

Sqwalker said:
Yes, I think it does. Before, I squirmed around in my seat a lot, partly because the left side bothered me, and the other part because I'm a little hyper. Now, I barely feel the left side (maybe ever so slightly, but probably only because I don't sit exactly straight), so it's a marked improvement.

I only had the bottom seat padded, as I'm okay with the backrest.

Don't get me wrong, I still hope that GM does a recall and replaces these front seats, as they should do. But at least I can live with this until they do.....please Mary B., press that recall button.

Thank you for the insights. I extended my Leaf lease (month-to-month) an extra year in order to get the Bolt. But after three pain-inducing test drives (bringing cushions to the last one - which helped) I decided to take a step back.

I was able to re-extend my lease another 6-months through October. Thus affording me more time to think, and potentially consider the upcoming upgraded e-golf. Yes, not the range of the Bolt nor performance, but I'm utterly frustrated at the idea of spending 40k on a car that I find completely uncomfortable. And I'm not quit willing to gamble that adding extra foam, or using an annoying portable cushion will ease my discomfort enough to make the car livable for the duration of a 3-year lease.

But, I’m glad your fix it is working out for you. Your experience gives people hope that there may be a solution. One can only imagine that as the car is rolled out and more people test drive, and buy the Bolt that this issue will become greater vocalized and GM will no longer be able to sit on their hands. Albeit, sitting on ones hands is better than sitting in the front seat of a Bolt. ;)

You might want to consider the Leaf 2, if your extension lasts long enough. They are seriously undercutting GM on price, and the camouflaged car we've seen looks like it has a Leaf 1 midsection, so it may well retain the good seats of the current leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
You might want to consider the Leaf 2, if your extension lasts long enough. They are seriously undercutting GM on price, and the camouflaged car we've seen looks like it has a Leaf 1 midsection, so it may well retain the good seats of the current leaf.

They have announced prices on the 200+-mile, 2018 LEAFs already? Could you provide a link, I'd like to read any available info.

Or by LEAF2, did you mean the couple-year-old bump in kWh on the otherwise virtually unchanged LEAF?

We bought a bright blue LT last Wednesday from Fremont Chevy. It took sitting in ten cars until we found good seats, this is proof that if you are patient it is possible, others have had success also. But I recommend you go to a volume dealership so that you can try lots of cars.
First visually make sure the seat is above the frame, press down on the seat to make sure it has plenty of padding, then sit in it to confirm that that the seat does not compress too much and stays above the plastic frame and feels nicely padded. If you find good seat then take it on atleast a twenty minute test drive to make sure all is well.
This worked for us, I hope it does for others, we had pretty much given up on the Bolt, but we decided to have one last try and this method proved successful, good luck to you all.
The car is an absolute blast to drive.

What he said.

3rd car was the charm for me.
After 2 test drives with saggy insuffieciently padded seats, we found a better LT with thicker, firmer padding.

Been fine with it for 6 weeks and 1500 miles.
90 minute drives have been OK.

Next week I'm driving SF to LA.
I'll let you know if my feelings change.

SparkE said:
LeftieBiker said:

They have announced prices on the 200+-mile, 2018 LEAFs already? Could you provide a link, I'd like to read any available info.

Or by LEAF2, did you mean the couple-year-old bump in kWh on the otherwise virtually unchanged LEAF?

I don't have a link handy, but it was said that prices will be pretty much unchanged. The S may actually get less expensive. That means about $37-38k for a loaded (Around View and Bose stereo) SV, or about $40k for a loaded SL. I'm going to custom order a loaded SV (may even get a cargo cover!) exactly as I want it. None of this trying to decide if I want to pay $4k more for three extra cameras and unwanted leather!

I'd be very careful about fiddling with the seat design too much. Any change to the seat "could" have an impact on how effective the thorax side-impact seat-mounted airbag is in a crash.

flamaest said:
Still feel these front Bolt LT seats are quite uncomfortable, and have been racking my brains trying to figure out where all the squeaking is coming from.

Today after I parked my car, I very carefully looked around the seat-back to see if there was something loose or misaligned that was causing the seat to be uncomfortable and also squeak. I can't believe I found this, please see the picture below. My seat back is essentially falling apart and the car has less than 600 miles on it. I am NOT a heavy or very large person.

I really don't think the build quality of this seat is representative of any new vehicle from any manufacturer. I understand that the airbag is located in the position of this picture, but this should not be easily pulled apart, and I am putting very little force into this, and just want to let everyone know.

GM needs to step up and give us better seats. This is not very good.

This is definitely not something we like to see, flamaest. When you have a moment, could you send me a private message with your VIN, full contact information, exact vehicle mileage and the name of your preferred GM dealer?

Additionally, please include within that message as to if you've made your dealer aware of this seat concern. If you'd like to review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
This is definitely not something we like to see, flamaest. When you have a moment, could you send me a private message with your VIN, full contact information, exact vehicle mileage and the name of your preferred GM dealer?

Additionally, please include within that message as to if you've made your dealer aware of this seat concern. If you'd like to review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thank you, PM sent.

6'2", 225lbs, and thighs like a rugby player (cause I am). LT, cloth heated seats.
I must have one of the better seats as they are not quite a deal breaker. They are definitely one of the uncomfiest seats I've sat in but bearable. The plastic frame does not touch my backside or upper thighs but the seat padding certainly squeezes in on both. I am sitting slightly above the frame so I'm guessing that makes a difference to some others as I'm sure if I wasn't the plastic sides would be right in my upper thighs. The lower back area is fine, but at my shoulder blades there is again a bit of pressure.
All that said, the seats get a very poor 2 out of 10 for me. Definitely the worst car seats I've sat in for many a year and I've owned some rubbish cars in my time.
Had I been able to wait and not risk losing the huge $6000 Scrapit rebate for BC, Canada (now fully subscribed) I would have waited because of the seats.
I will be conveying my disappointment to the dealership and Chevy.
EDIT: I sat in the front passenger seat least night for a 30 min ride for the first time. It was almost unbearable for me. My right leg was dead after 10 mins due to the outer edge of the seat. Seriously, if that was the drivers seat I would not have bought the car. (My wife is a lot smaller than me and finds both seats snug but fine.)

AMBER, PLEASE GET CHEVY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SEATS. IF LEFT AS THEY ARE THEY WILL BE A DEAL BREAKER WHEN SOMETHING SIMILAR (soon to be Tesla, Nissan, ???) COMES ALONG.

Allelectric said:
Had I been able to wait and not risk losing the huge $6000 Scrapit rebate for BC, Canada (now fully subscribed) I would have waited because of the seats.
Yeah, because of the seat issue I'm waiting for a decent test drive before committing, which means I will be looking at buying a 2018 Bolt early next year when (presumably) the Scrap-It program gets refunded. I'm kind of hoping that maybe they'll get the seats fixed by then.

I have a Bolt LT. I'm 6' 1", 176 lbs. 33" waist. After a few min the side rails are very uncomfortable. Long rides are painful. I wish I knew try ALL Bolts on the lot before selecting. For now I have to deal with it.

Until Chevy does a recall I've been looking at auto seat cushion on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Drivers-Orthopedic-Clever-Breathable/dp/B00Q5HXQ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492320866&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=car+seat+cushion&psc=1

Was wondering what others have used.

TO MS. AMBER G / CHEVY
Please read this, I'll try to keep it short.

I am NOT a Bolt owner. I would have been, except for the terrible uncomfortableness of the front seat.

I am actively shopping for cars now, and will probably need to get one by the end of the summer, as my 12yr-old Honda Civic Hybrid has seen better days.

I live in the Los Angeles area, and was looking forward to the Bolt -- but NOT after sitting in the seat. I sat in three -- one at the OC Auto show, and two at two different Chevy dealers. Everything else about the car was fine (lots of nice legroom too) -- and I'm usually the only passenger. But the front seat was TERRIBLE. I found this thread via google, and it appears you, as a Chevy employee, read and respond here.

I'm taking the time to post this here because the only -- THE ONLY -- reason I am NOT going to be buying a Bolt is the front seat. Period. And you need to know that.

I am 5'11", weigh 190lbs. I'm normal sized. I've always owned a compact car with normal basic seats. I say this so you know I'm not someone who complains if I don't have some giant, wide leather seat. That's not me. I'm coming off of a Honda Civic Hybrid right now with cloth, Civic seats.

And I've never been in a seat more uncomfortable. Ever.

Now that the Bolt is out as a choice because of the seat, I will most likely be getting the Prius Prime plugin. It's not my first choice, but I cannot sit in a seat as uncomfortable as the Bolt's. If my current 12yr-old Civic Hybrid would last another year or two, I would almost be tempted to wait and see if Chevy fixes the seats for 2018. But I'm probably going to need to get a car by the end of the summer.

I have no idea how others feel, and I know that the opinion of one customer leaving for the competition is not going to make a car company change. But I felt I had to take the time to write this to let you know. The drivers seat WAS literally a deal killer for me. Everything else about the Bolt I either liked, or at least could live with. But not something as basic as a terribly uncomfortable seat.

If Chevy were to change -- or at least make some announcement of doing a major change to the front seats by the summer (yeah, right) I'd get one. Otherwise it'll be the Prius Prime. I literally would be walking out of a Chevy dealership with a Bolt by the summer if not for the seat problem, and I wanted you to know that. I can't wait for a change to come a year or two down the road, but hopefully (for your sakes, and for the other people out there who DO want a Bolt -- but will NOT buy one with the seats like this) the seat will be changed, sooner rather than later.

I am NOT someone who walks away because of something ridiculous, like a cupholder being too small. But the Bolt's drivers seat is terribly uncomfortable. And with the amount of time I spend in the car, that -- and that alone -- forced me to walk away from the Bolt. Please listen to your customers -- and especially would-be customers.

I am to the point where I am fed up with the seats. I test drove a Bolt and didn't notice the uncomfortable seats, could have been better quality than the one I ended up buying. When I bought the car, I had my wife test drive the one I wanted to buy because of the color. She didn't mention anything about the seats and we ended up buying that one. After my first trip to work I was just uncomfortable the whole way. I am now getting a sore back and don't enjoy driving the car at all. Everything else about the car is great, but they put in the narrowest seats probably ever produced for car...

I am going to have to get the seats worked on or buy seat cushions. This is crazy for me to consider this having a brand new car. I probably talked about five people out of buying the car because of seats. I also am upset if I have to get seat cushions because I won't be able to use my heated seats at all.

Here is my complaints about the seats. The seats are just not narrow, but they sink in too much at the center and have an uncomfortable rise at the edges, I am basically sitting on the edges of the seat as my body weight tries to sink in. The back of the seat is also uncomfortable. I am wondering if they used 1 or 2 micrometers of foam on the back of the seats. I can feel the plastic by gently pushing on the seat. It is also very narrow and I have wider shoulders than average. I constantly have back and neck pain from riding in my car 130 miles a day for my commute.

The Bolt is a great car and I have no other complaints at all. This is an issue that needs to be dealt with and I guess I have to deal with this for 3 more years until I can sell my car because of the subsidies I got.

I did two things to help.
It was not very expensive ($65 total) and took 5 minutes.

First, partly for comfort and partly to keep them clean, I added a "faux leather" cover to my LT cloth seat. These were very nice, fit well, do not block the side airbags, and do not block seat heater use.
I totally recommened using one of these $25 covers as a start. They add very thin padding that helps some.

Second, I added a "Purple" all purpose portable seat pad. I purchased the smallest, thinnest pad they make. ($39) This is made of a super elastic gel like polymer with a honeycomb pattern inside so it breathes well. Part of the trouble (I think) is these cars LITERALLY have bucket seats. It is like sitting on a bowl and the edges of the bowl are uncomfortable.
Filling in the low spot of the bowl with this nearly perfect sized pad did wonders.

I had to spend time and a little money, but now I find the arrangement quite good. I have gone 450 miles in 1 day (San Franciso to Anaheim) without discomfort AFTER these mods.

Give it a try. You may be glad you did.

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

What you guys need to do is take it to a car upholstery shop and have them make it look like this:

Your seat will be just wonderful.

Then take GM to small claims court--and I am not joking here, it is actually possible to win against the car company in small claims as someone did (v. Honda)--and bill them for $1000 it took to fix it.

iletric said:
Then take GM to small claims court--and I am not joking here, it is actually possible to win against the car company in small claims as someone did (v. Honda)--and bill them for $1000 it took to fix it.
A judge would probably dismiss a case like this unless you first went to GM for a remedy and they refused. And you'd need a paper trail to prove that you did that. If you just take it upon yourself to have the work done then I doubt the court would hold GM to be liable for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back