CA Personalized Plate

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

I was just messing around on the CA DMV personalized plate site to see what plates might be available.

Discovered that -- as of this moment -- If you want it, you can get a personalized plate for your Bolt that reads: GO BOLT.

I'd get it but you can't buy a personalized plate for a leased vehicle in CA. If anyone here gets it, let me know. I'd just like to know if anyone here takes advantage of this tip. :)

michael said:
Of course you can. Go ahead and order it

I tried. When it asked if the car was leased, the answer was, you can't order a personalized plate for a leased vehicle. Of course, I could lie about that to put the order in -- just say it's not leased -- but I'm sure they'd figure it out before the plate is issued. Not worth the effort.

Just though someone else might like to have it. Hence the post. If not, no big deal.

The specific error message is that "you can't order a personalized plate online for a leased vehicle", but that doesn't say that you can't have a personalized plate at all, otherwise it would say "Personalized plates are not available for leased or company vehicles." Instead you have to order it in person at the DMV. I believe that what is required is an additional form is filled out notifying the leasing company that the plates have been changed, or getting permission from the leasing company to change the plates.

devbolt said:
The specific error message is that "you can't order a personalized plate online for a leased vehicle", but that doesn't say that you can't have a personalized plate at all, otherwise it would say "Personalized plates are not available for leased or company vehicles." Instead you have to order it in person at the DMV. I believe that what is required is an additional form is filled out notifying the leasing company that the plates have been changed, or getting permission from the leasing company to change the plates.

Even so, not worth the trouble to me. I've only got 1 set of personalized plates on my MR2. No reason to pay more to get any more.

sgt1372 said:
devbolt said:

Even so, not worth the trouble to me. I've only got 1 set of personalized plates on my MR2. No reason to pay more to get any more.

I can see the reason for not wanting a personalized plate on a vehicle that you are only going to have in your possession for 3 or so years because of the hassle factor of moving the plate from car to car. However, if you are a member of AAA, they offer certain DMV services, one of which is dealing with personalized plates for a car. We recently did a 3-car plate shuffle, and the local AAA offices were a breeze to deal with. However, our vehicles are all owned, so I don't know if it would've been harder if the cars in question were leased.

You guys read the CA DMV website wrong.

It only says vehicles leased in the name of a company (Ex. Taco Bell Corporation) cannot order personalized plates online.

Vehicles leased in the NAME of a private individual CAN.

gpsman said:
It only says vehicles leased in the name of a company (Ex. Taco Bell Corporation) cannot order personalized plates online.

Just looked at the online form again. You are correct. Reading comprehension 101. Duh!! :roll:

Oh well, still not going to get one for my leased Bolt but "Go Bolt" is still available for anyone who wants it. :)

Since the car runs on a battery, I almost ordered BOLTERY but figured no one other than Bolt owners would get the word play.

I took these off my Volt when the lease expired last September and got them approved for the Bolt EV. Haven't actually put them on it yet, as I like the "new car" look for another 3 months!

HYPRMLG

Back